Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    I hit open 5-foot jumpshots with ease

Default I Need Some Advice On Pull-up Jumpers

I'm not sure how high I should jump when I shoot, or at what point to release the ball. I'm most comfortable just barely getting off the ground on my jumpers, but that doesn't give me enough elevation to shoot over a defender. Any advice or videos would be helpful.

dedicate

Default Re: I Need Some Advice On Pull-up Jumpers

plant your feet and bend your knees and explode up (make sure you get a lift off using your lower body), you should jump at a comfortable height and release a shot at the highest point of your jump (most likely not your max standing vert).
    it should feel smooth, go slow if you cant do it. i think a lot of guys try to jump as high as their can which end up being awkward. i think with practice you can eventually reach a pretty good lift off but go slow and build it up.

another thing is you see a lota guys fading to the left or right because they couldnt stop their forward momentum , if you want to go straight up, you almost have to jump up the opposite direction. for example, you are driving right hard and you want to pull up, you've want to jump like you are leaning left so you end up going vertically up instead of fading right which throws your balance off

Thanks, you know your stuff. Glad to have another poster in the streetball forum.

I hit open 5-foot jumpshots with ease carpevicis's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Venom
    I'm not sure how high I should jump when I shoot, or at what point to release the ball. I'm most comfortable just barely getting off the ground on my jumpers, but that doesn't give me enough elevation to shoot over a defender. Any advice or videos would be helpful.
    I've been slowly trying to integrate the mid range pull up to my game, and the way I do it is to drive one way, then plant my inside foot and use that as my control/pivot foot. So if I drove right, I would stop hard on my left foot. Then I jump up and occasionally fade if I need to.

You should always try to be comfortable when shooting, but if you don't get enough elevation, you have no choice but to adapt. I don't jump that high on my shots but when game time comes around I jump as high as needed and adjust arc to compensate.

o()xxx[{::::::::::::> SourPatchKids's Avatar

I think your release has to be at the highest point of your jump. Then it will be a quick shot like Curry's.

Quote Originally Posted by SourPatchKids
    I think your release has to be at the highest point of your jump. Then it will be a quick shot like Curry's.
    Dell Curry or Stephen Curry? My release isn't as quick as Stephen's. It's more like Brandon Jennings'. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eubvQRVwLZY#t=0m35s

on a footwork note, if you come to a 1-2 stop, you have already determined a pivot foot, if you come to a jump stop, then you have either foot to attack with.

A jumper just takes practice man. If you are used to set shot it's going to feel awkward... but a jump shot is not really about jumping high, it's more about rhythm. If you look at Ray Allen's jumper, it's a quick hop, and then a quick release. He needs a quick release because he is not very good at creating space so his shot needs to be out of his hands quickly. Just know who you are... if you are space creator, then you can be more creative with your jumper... if not, then work on having a quicker release with a simple hop. You shouldn't be tired on your jumpers... you should be able to do them over and over.

dedicate

Quote Originally Posted by Venom
    Thanks, you know your stuff. Glad to have another poster in the streetball forum.

no problem, this might also help you, when you are driving, before you pull up, take a hard dribble so the ball bounces up with you instead of you trying to bend down and pick the ball up which can increase how fast you go up for the pull up. i know some people do this and a lota of dunkers who cant palm the ball do this as well, i think really you just need to find what's most comfortable to you , keep experimenting, you'll find the right mix

Good college starter NotYetGreat's Avatar

I think you should work on being able to elevate on your shots while having a certain rhythm. What most people try to do on their shot is jump really high so they get over the defender, which is good and all, but once they're in the air, they pause for a longer time than they should, and thus, they lose the power they need for the shot and they'll end up being short or compensating for the lost power by making their arms do the work, which more often than not will make them twitch. In my opinion, you'll have to work on finding your rhythm and being able to jump high enough for you to get over the defender before you can really master the pull-up.

Now, as for the pull-up itself, I always try to remember these things:

1) Use the 1-2 step and take one hard dribble before you take your shot.
    2) Get low a bit so that your momentum going to one direction will be translated into upwards momentum, which will propel you more upwards than leaning to one side.
    3) Time your release.

That's all I try to remember when practicing my pull-up. These things really help me establish my rhythm on the pull-up. But as always, keep trying to find what's more comfortable for you, because what works for someone doesn't always work for everyone. Hope this helps! :cheerS:

College superstar

You need spacing.

To get the spacing you need, what you should do is dribble to your sweet spot, give them a little bump (don't lower your shoulder, just make sure there's solid contact). This should freeze them for a little bit and let you elevate. It also makes it harder for them to elevate to contest your shot after a solid bump.

I don't know how tall you are, but unless they're a lot taller or more athletic than you, you should be able to get off a good look with the bump.

Quote Originally Posted by 1manfastbreak
    on a footwork note, if you come to a 1-2 stop, you have already determined a pivot foot, if you come to a jump stop, then you have either foot to attack with.
    I usually come to a 1-2 stop with the foot opposite the side of the floor I'm on.

Local High School Star devin112's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by scm5
    You need spacing.

To get the spacing you need, what you should do is dribble to your sweet spot, give them a little bump (don't lower your shoulder, just make sure there's solid contact). This should freeze them for a little bit and let you elevate. It also makes it harder for them to elevate to contest your shot after a solid bump.

I don't know how tall you are, but unless they're a lot taller or more athletic than you, you should be able to get off a good look with the bump.
    +1
    don't change ur shot it'll throw off ur feel or touch which is really important fading away. Work on spacing so u can take a good shot.

Learning to shoot layups

The stepback move that paul pierce always uses is very efficient for creating space.

Local High School Star devin112's Avatar

yeah definitely improve spacing versus mess w/ altering ur natural shot