Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Default Re: Is James Worthy one of the most overrated players of all time?

He wasnt better than Aguirre or Nique but he was better than most of the others you listed.

Not airballing my layups anymore Baby Arm Johnso's Avatar

question for the op; how old are you? did you ever watch James in person?

Worthy's nickname was "Big Game James" for a legitimate reason. I will grant you that after Magic retired Worthy didn't do much but that shouldn't defer from what he did during the showtime era.

Great Video of Worthy and the showtime Lakers. Watch Magic in his prime in this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bFtAMOyaql0

Worthy kinda reminds me of Clyde Drexler with the one handed swoop style slams.

Worthy was a fast wing and great finisher. Here is a better vid of him scoring 7 straight in the closing minutes of game 7 against the Pistons.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVlkg...eature=related

Compare James Worthy to Lebron James... Worthy has the speed and footwork, James has the .........

Quote Originally Posted by miles berg
    He wasnt better than Aguirre or Nique but he was better than most of the others you listed.
    No, Worthy was better, no doubt about it. His legacy is somewhat blurred because of playing on a team with Magic, Kareem, ect... but he deserves more respect than that.

I am sorry. But James Worthy was not overrated.

Quote Originally Posted by DixieNourmous
    No, Worthy was better, no doubt about it. His legacy is somewhat blurred because of playing on a team with Magic, Kareem, ect... but he deserves more respect than that.

He's better than Aguirre, but LOL, no way is he better than 'Nique.

Good college starter

Quote Originally Posted by fsvr54
    The only think a person can say that Nique,King,Alex,Mark were better at was scoring. Ok lets look at it. James played on a team with the GOAT PG and possibly the GOAT C. Magic made sure everyone got the ball in the right place.You must understand chemistry and how it relates to basketball. Worthy game was able to adapt to what the lakers needed. They needed him to score he score they need him to be a 3rd 4 th option thats what he did, They needed him to defend Bird,Mchale thats what he did. I know College is different from the pro's. But if you want some sort of measuring stick He was the beast in college. So lets get it straight he wasn't some coatail riding player. In college he was better than all the other SF you guys are naming.
    I Close I never heard anyone say BIG GAME NIQUE<BIG GAME ALEX, IT's BIG GAME JAMES because in the big games James steped up.

Decent playground baller Kovach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fsvr54
    He used to burn Nique in their head to head matchups so bad it was hilarious to watch.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZoTKCqDilHo

And there were many more examples.

Decent playground baller Kovach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Niquesports
    James played on a team with the GOAT PG and possibly the GOAT C.
    Why does everyone keep forgetting about a 20 ppg SG who was the teams top scorer in one of their championship seasons?

Good college starter

Quote Originally Posted by Kovach
    Why does everyone keep forgetting about a 20 ppg SG who was the teams top scorer in one of their championship seasons?

So true. People underrate James because he didn't have the numbers.But on that team. Magic kept everyone in the game.Are you real Mark better than James ,Kovach they also don't know that team had 7 players in double digt scoring and Cooper was getting 9ppg.

Someone didn't watch much of Worthy if your argument basis is on stats.

I think he's underrated, because how many players with #1 talent would be willing to spend most of their career as a #2 or #3, but could step up to the plate and play like the elite option whenever his team needed? Talk about the perfect "role player".

Banned

He is quite over rated, but not in an extremely straight forward way. He was more then capable of putting up 23-25 ppg if given a first option role (which isn't particularly amazing and shouldn't be compared to the better SFs of that decade) but he was also extremely fortunate that he played with Magic so that he could put up efficient numbers that I'm not really certain he's capable of under most circumstances.
    Saying he's better then a Dantley or Wilkins is not fair at all. Alex English maybe, but anyone else is really pushing it.

Good college starter

Quote Originally Posted by magnax1
    He is quite over rated, but not in an extremely straight forward way. He was more then capable of putting up 23-25 ppg if given a first option role (which isn't particularly amazing and shouldn't be compared to the better SFs of that decade) but he was also extremely fortunate that he played with Magic so that he could put up efficient numbers that I'm not really certain he's capable of under most circumstances.
    Saying he's better then a Dantley or Wilkins is not fair at all. Alex English maybe, but anyone else is really pushing it.
    FIrst off neither Dantley or Wilkins could had adjusted to going from 1 option to 3 option from game to game and still be just as effective.

Second both needed the ball to score james could post, mid game, run the lane, and finish, can you picture Dantley trying to run the break and finish like Worthy ? It would be funny

Wilkins was a one dimentional scorer beat his man off the dribble. Worthy could beat his man ,post his man,out run his man .

Lastly when it comes to D its not even close James was much better than both

The more I look at it james might be a top 5 SF

Great college starter

People rate him fairly. He was the best player on a college championship team. Won Finals MVP.
    Bird
    Lebron
    Pippen
    Are the only small forwards I can confidently say we're better.

Good college starter

Quote Originally Posted by Big#50
    People rate him fairly. He was the best player on a college championship team. Won Finals MVP.
    Bird
    Lebron
    Pippen
    Are the only small forwards I can confidently say we're better.

It's just too hard to compare him with these guys they were 1st and 2nd options on there teams . Sometimes James would be the 4th option. It wasnt because of lack of talent. It was just any given day another player would be the go to player on that laker team Magic just moved the ball around so much