Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Default Re: Which class is harder: Physics or Pre-Calculus

Quote Originally Posted by RidonKs
    I might actually ask this here -

Say I were debating majoring in Physics for an undergrad. I've never taken a course in HS, and have no more than elementary knowledge of the subject matter. I took Pre-Cal first year and got a B- while putting in virtually no work (that won't happen again obviously if I decide to major in a science/math - I have a newfound respect for those subject). Do you guys think I would need to take a HS equivalency course before I enter the introductory classes in first year, or would I be able to get by with hard work but no foundation? Forget requirements, I'm just curious about difficulty at this point.
    Ok "All" this isn't really related to what you were asking for.

1. Where did you get this newfound respect for the topics?

I remember you always hated on them.

2. Well it's good you finally found out they are good subjects to major in.

3. Why are they good subjects to major in? Well obviously because of the reasons you found respect for them. One, they are very rigourous, and some of the hardest majors in college. Not only are they intellectually demanding, graduate schools and jobs look favorable at those and have respect for you and your intelligence just off the fact you majored in those topics (with a respectable GPA). And it's justifiable, because if you did major in those topics, you are pretty smart.

I know that you don't plan on doing math or physics for the rest of your life without you telling me. (Am I right?)

I'd recommend Math over Physics though. Though I guess it depends on where you are going after this. You could do either though. But if you are planning on doctor/dentistry, then probably Physics because it has more overall science class requirments. Otherwise, math is arguably the most versatile yet rigorous major there is. I can't think of a major that has a better combo of versatilty/rigooursness than math.

6. Now to your real question.

They are both difficult majors. And you are going to find that you kind of naturally have to be smart to do well at them. I know a lot of friends that took Physics, Math, tried very hard, but didn't do too well. Some of them had the same HS background as you.

Foundation is obviously really important and it kind of sucks you don't have one. But it can be overcome by

a) Natural Intelligence
    b) Hard Work

Both are for you to decide. How smart do you think you are naturally in topics such as Math/Physics that require analytical and quantiative thinking?

And how hard are you willing to work? That's for you to decide as well. If you turn out not as smart as you thought, then you better be working a lot harder.

What I'd suggest is just try a Physics, and Calc class. Give it your best. And then decide. Obviously the majors are very beneficial, so it's worth it to do either.

But besides that, take a Physics, Math class, aim for a 3.5 or higher (since it's introductory), even mid 3.0-3.5 is acceptable since you haven't taken them in a while. But after that, decide if you think you can master this topic.

If you are able to, you won't regret it.

Quote Originally Posted by AppleNader
    Here's one of my semiconductor physics homeworks from last year.

I would say it was harder than intro physics, but less difficult than particle and waves physics.
    I guess that's a start.

Cornell Basketball=#1

Quote Originally Posted by DeuceWallaces
    I guess that's a start.
    I still want to see Gloves

I think we're all pretty sure he's full of ****.

See what? My homework from 7 years ago?

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Quote Originally Posted by RidonKs
    I might actually ask this here -

Say I were debating majoring in Physics for an undergrad. I've never taken a course in HS, and have no more than elementary knowledge of the subject matter. I took Pre-Cal first year and got a B- while putting in virtually no work (that won't happen again obviously if I decide to major in a science/math - I have a newfound respect for those subject). Do you guys think I would need to take a HS equivalency course before I enter the introductory classes in first year, or would I be able to get by with hard work but no foundation? Forget requirements, I'm just curious about difficulty at this point.
    I was able to get Cs in my intro physics courses that were required for engineering and I only took a conceptual physics class in HS (regular, not pre ap or AP or IB or honors) where I learned nothing. I worked my ass off for those Cs too.

If you're willing to put in the work, you can pass and that's for sure. Depending on how hard you work and how smart you are and what prof you have then you can get As and Bs.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Applenader, have you taken thermodynamics?

Cornell Basketball=#1

Quote Originally Posted by Glove_20

See what? My homework from 7 years ago?
    some example of your college work

Cornell Basketball=#1

Quote Originally Posted by Hawker
    Applenader, have you taken thermodynamics?
    no , didn't need to

some example of your college work
    Because everyone keeps their college exams/homework for life?

What is it? You think I never went to college and took calculus, physics, etc. ?

Cornell Basketball=#1

Quote Originally Posted by Glove_20
    Because everyone keeps their college exams/homework for life?

What is it? You think I never went to college and took calculus, physics, etc. ?
    So what school did you go to?

UW for undergrad

NBA Superstar

Internetz U

Glove_20 put up or shut up. You always run your mouth and repeat the same shyt in thread like this. I mean everything was so easy that you didnt have to do this, that and the third (lame ass bragging/boasting towards others who put in time, didnt get the grade u got and/or found it difficult). Yet its not easy to back up the shyt you talk here.

You are a f*cking mensa member who passed up a Rhodes Scholarship because to you? Well you didnt have to prove to those losers you were smarter than them. Nothing was being taught you didnt know ahead of time. Investment banker who could have been a Bio Chemical Engineer but that was for suckers who couldnt hack it as an Investment Banker.

You never lose when gambling. You are ALWAYS up. And if you go 0-10? Well that doesnt matter because you won your *locks* which are 2, 3 times the amount you bet on regular games. Yanno those 10 losses? That "loss" in $$$$ was negated from the *locks* you made. So you made out. I mean you ALWAYS do. I've never met a person who gambled on sports regulary not lose. Never a down week. A down month. A down year. It doesnt exist.

Everything in life is easy to Glove_20 yet he never proves a thing. You just yap yap yap or in other words type type type. Show us visual proof of the things you do. You can EASILY (your favorite word no?) do it but always have an excuse. Much like when your teams come up short after your bogus gurantees go flop (the sound of a turd hitting the water).

Same clown who says you never met no one your size stronger than you. I've never heard that. Who says crap like that?

Enough of you typing. Start uploading and proving the things you post here. I mean afterall all those things were EASY to do. Why shouldnt this be the same?

And dont mistake this post for me saying everything you type is a lie. Its moreso to say you have done enough shyt talking here. Now its time to back it up. Put up or shut the f*ck up.
    Last edited by GOBB; 02-25-2009 at 10:09 PM.

Cornell Basketball=#1

Quote Originally Posted by i seen hippos
    Internetz U

prob