Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Default Re: Better Scorer: Kobe or Melo?

*chanting "KOBE! KOBE! KOBE!"

New Uni's 2010-2011 New Jazzy Nets's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by L.Kizzle
    The black guy who's known in Colorado.
    That was ****ing hilarious

I rule the local playground Joey3000's Avatar

Kobe is a more popular player so most will say Kobe, but the moment Melo has a big playoffs series, lets say he made it to the western conferance finals or even the finals, alot of minds would change.

Only thing Kobe has over melo right now is driving ability... slightly. Melos post game, mid-long range shot, offball movement is all on par, if not better.

He doesnt take as many shots as most superstar swingman, yet he scores more.

Root Of All Evil

Don't get it twisted, Melo is a fabulous scorer ... and getting better. But don't judge what he did in FIBA as a means to justify what he does in the League. He gets more spot up looks in FIBA, closer 3 point line, and the defenders aren't as smart or as physically gifted as they are in the League. Melo hasn't even dropped 50 or more, yet. So till then, I can't even take him seriously in comparing them as scorers.

Bryant in the League, w/ a further three-point line has way more range to his J. Kobe also is much better @ scoring w/ three / four guys ... or whole teams in his face while scoring. Kobe has less options to deter defenses from doubling and tripling him, and even then Bryant still makes plays. Bryant as a guard has the best back to the basket game in the league, and he's a better slasher scorer than Melo as well. Bryant also creates easy points 4 himself off steals and defense.

Melo is a great scorer, and I think his strengths and skill would make him a better fit as a scorer than most players in 2days League in a more physical defensive league like the early 90's , NBA on NBC, Ahmad Rashad, NY Knick beatdown NBA of the past decade.

But c'mon as of right now, history context included, plus the longevity of Kobe Bryant being the most dominating offensive weapon in the game ... the question shouldn't even be asked. Think b4 you talk. Way too premature to even ask. Insults my intelligence as a basketball fan.

NBA sixth man of the year NugzFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by josh_3089406
    I'd be embarrassed to ask that question! And it's not even like Melo is the second best scorer in the league. I'd have LeBron, McGrady, Wade, and Arenas ahead of Melo. Heck, I'd even go to Shaq for an easy quick 2 before I go to Melo! To be honest I don't even know why he's on the US team! They need to select players that can play well at international level, not just elite NBA players. Guys like Prince, Bowen, Chandlar, Marion, Josh Smith, Oden, can be added around guys like Kobe etc. The more recent out of college they are, the better they will be at international level! Melo is good but not a Superstar!
    :

Quote Originally Posted by Prodigy
    Kobe has been pretty much unstoppable these past couple years especially in the playoffs. If he misses it isn't because of your defense, but because he missed. I've seen him light up the Suns the way Jordan did it back in 93.
    This is a flat out lie. Why do people lie to inflate their favorite players? I don't get it.

NBA rookie of the year

Carmelo is a bit overrated as a scorer. Vince Carter averaged more points per shot last season

NBA rookie of the year Da KO King's Avatar

I'll just paste what I typed in my "Get to know my views..." thread

Carmelo Anthony is the best perimeter scorer in the NBA

That’s right he’s a better scorer than Mr 81.

He’s the most fundamentally sound perimeter guy out there. No player has his understanding of off ball movement, the triple threat game, and footwork.

The only weakness in Carmelo’s offensive game is consistency from deep.

Even that isn’t a huge issue cause Carmelo exhibits excellent shot selection. He recognizes that the three can be fool’s gold and doesn’t focus on putting up deep shots.

The player Carmelo most reminds me of is Larry Bird. In terms of total understanding of perimeter play ‘Melo is the closest we’ve ever come to getting another Larry Legend. If ‘Melo ever becomes as willing a passer as Larry he would end up becoming one of the all time greats.
    http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/sho...&postcount=106

Root Of All Evil

Kobe Bryant hasn't played up to standards in the Playoffs. He just hasn't the past few years. Whether its pouting, putting together great first halves and not finishing ... he hasn't been as great as he should be come Playoff time. This is one of the major gripes I've had w/ him the past few years. He hasn't been bad, he's been very good to great "at times" ... but he hasn't put it all together in the Playoffs as "the man" .... yet. But that's okay too, the only person who has been "the man" since 2001 w/ A.I., was D. Wade in 2006. Which is exactly why I expect a hell of a lot more out of Bean Bryant in the Playoffs. He's obviously the best player in the game, right there w/ TD ... and being that its the Playoffs, you got to raise your game. I expect a lot more out of him, the way MJ used to raise his game on call to ridiculous levels under the Playoff intensity and stage. Still waiting for Bryant to break out like that.

I don't get picked last at the park anymore

Quote Originally Posted by VCMVP1551
    Carmelo is a bit overrated as a scorer. Vince Carter averaged more points per shot last season
    So you're saying that Vince Carter is a better scorer than Melo?

Quote Originally Posted by Samurai Swoosh
    Kobe Bryant hasn't played up to standards in the Playoffs. He just hasn't the past few years. Whether its pouting, putting together great first halves and not finishing ... he hasn't been as great as he should be come Playoff time. This is one of the major gripes I've had w/ him the past few years. He hasn't been bad, he's been very good to great "at times" ... but he hasn't put it all together in the Playoffs as "the man" .... yet. But that's okay too, the only person who has been "the man" since 2001 w/ A.I., was D. Wade in 2006. Which is exactly why I expect a hell of a lot more out of Bean Bryant in the Playoffs. He's obviously the best player in the game, right there w/ TD ... and being that its the Playoffs, you got to raise your game. I expect a lot more out of him, the way MJ used to raise his game on call to ridiculous levels under the Playoff intensity and stage. Still waiting for Bryant to break out like that.
    You guys just think saying it over and over again makes it so, huh? I'd expect the best player in the game to elevate his level above the other players in the league to the point where there is no question. TD has done that, Shaq did it. Kobe has yet to do it. He has some high scoring games. Great! But he has not outperformed the rest of the league in the most pressure filled, and most competitive season the NBA has................the playoffs. And really, how was he performing so much better than Bron or Wade (before he went down last year)? At least you admit his past few playoff runs have been mired in inconsistancy and at times downright bad play. But instead of being able to take the next logical step, which is Bryant is not inarguably the best player in the game, you make it "yeah, he hasn't done spectacular in the playoffs, but he's still the best just because, just becaue he's Kobe and to people like me he's the best no matter how he plays"

Blah.

NBA rookie of the year

Quote Originally Posted by Fatal_Flaw
    So you're saying that Vince Carter is a better scorer than Melo?
    No I'll call it a lie.

I am a troll and borderline insane. Don't mind me.

:, at anyone who says Melo is a better scorer than even LeBron, let alone Kobe.

He averages two more shots, with 4 less assists per game. He's a worse three point shooter by far. And his both players TS% is the same.

Carmelo = Overrated

Root Of All Evil

People confuse being a better scorer w/ being a better player. Arenas is a better scorer than Wade, but he isn't the better player. Get me, kids?

In this case Bryant is just both a better player and a better scorer. The only I talk about w/ Bryant and scoring prowress is Michael Jordan, Wilt Chamberlain, Allen Iverson, and a few others ... but they're all PROVEN dynamic and consistent scorers.

I don't get picked last at the park anymore

Quote Originally Posted by Valiant Valor
    :, at anyone who says Melo is a better scorer than even LeBron, let alone Kobe.
    When it comes to scoring Melo and Kobe are very close, with Kobe having the slight edge. But Melo is definitely a better scorer than Lebron.