Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Do you take people's basketball ability in account???

Quote Originally Posted by KendrickPerkins
    Bingo.

CavsFTW is a perfect example of this.
    If by that you mean he does a lot of research. Funny how Cavs doesn't get called out by guys who've been watching the game since before Kobe and Lebron.

the WHITE side

Quote Originally Posted by Marchesk
    If by that you mean he does a lot of research. Funny how Cavs doesn't get called out by guys who've been watching the game since before Kobe and Lebron.
    Knowing the history of the game doesn't mean you know winning basketball. There's a reason he doesn't talk about the current game, and it's because he has no idea what's going on or how to evaluate who the best is.

I'm not saying he doesn't have a purpose. He posts some interesting stuff from time to time, but he knows **** all about the game. His lack of basketball talent corresponds with his lack of basketball insight.

Just because you were around to watch 80's doesn't mean you know what you're talking about.

I know how to evaluate players better than you, and it's not even close. You're probably 20+ years older than me but it doesn't matter. I'm more talented than you, mentally and physically.

Knowing the history of the game doesn't mean you know winning basketball. There's a reason he doesn't talk about the current game, and it's because he has no idea what's going on or how to evaluate who the best is.

I'm not saying he doesn't have a purpose. He posts some interesting stuff from time to time, but he knows **** all about the game. His lack of basketball talent corresponds with his lack of basketball insight.

Just because you were around to watch 80's doesn't mean you know what you're talking about.

I know how to evaluate players better than you, and it's not even close. You're probably 20+ years older than me but it doesn't matter. I'm more talented than you, mentally and physically.
    Actually thats exactly what it means...why do you think most of the great players said they studied tape of legends from the past?

the WHITE side

Quote Originally Posted by PistonsFan#21
    Actually thats exactly what it means...why do you think most of the great players said they studied tape of legends from the past?
    Yet all he does it post stats and articles.

About a guy who rarely won. Hmmm.

But no, you're missing the point because you're an idiot. If I were to watch the 70's I'd know who the best players were.

The problem with someone like CavsFTW is he can watch basketball and not know who the best is or the little subtle things that make winning possible. Him and I can watch the same game and have completely different views. He doesn't know what's going on, all he has is stats and articles.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Smoke117's Avatar

This is some of the dumbest shit I've ever read. If players took into account basketball ability...half the coaches wouldn't even be listened to.

the WHITE side

Quote Originally Posted by Smoke117
    This is some of the dumbest shit I've ever read. If players took into account basketball ability...half the coaches wouldn't even be listened to.
    Most, if not all basketball coaches played at at least a high school level. And they don't just give anybody an NBA head coaching job. You have to prove you actually know whats going on before they hire. I think the players know and respect that.

Nobody's hiring CavsFTW in any coaching position because the players would be teaching HIM how to play and what to do.

Yeah I do. Not on here because I've never seen any of you play, but I'm sure 99% couldn't make a foul shot if they had 10 tries.

But in real life, definitely.

Nobody's hiring CavsFTW in any coaching position because the players would be teaching HIM how to play and what to do.
    Is anyone hiring Bill Simmons to coach?

the WHITE side

Quote Originally Posted by Marchesk
    Is anyone hiring Bill Simmons to coach?
    Bill Simmons has proven to have an understanding of the game though.

CavsFTW never has...

It's all Wilt talk because of his fascination with athletic traits and stats. He knows nothing about the current game.

I'd pay to see his top 10 list of today...

There's a reason he stays away. Someone like you is too dumb and biased to see why.

I dont know much about you but im starting to get the vibe that you are one of the guys im talking about, or CavsFTW himself. Which would be sad.

Either way you probably know nothing and have no talent, which is painful for you to read but the flatout truth.

Learning to shoot layups

Knowing how to do something does not mean you're great at critiquing it and visa versa. Plenty of people who are good at music who can't teach it well or identify talent the same way a music business executive can when scouting for marketable talent.

It really does go both ways - often times the best teachers/executives/critics are people who can't do it at the same level of people who are actually doing it. Kinda interesting how it all works when you think about it.

National High School Star

I think a lot of you are reading my original post wrong - my fault. I used very shizzy examples.

What i really mean is that I play basketball all the time. I've played competitively since I was 5 and haven't stopped (29 now).

However, i'm not even close to playing NBA or even competitive college level ball.

Yet, I consider myself to have an excellent analytical grasp of the game. Whether this is innate or learned is hard to say. Some people seem to play all their lives and not have it.

Some people can be great, even NBA level players without having this (kobe, jordan, russ). You don't necessarily need this ability to be a great player (size, shooting skill, defensive instincts are all equally important).

However, some players do have it. Larry Bird, Duncan, Nash, Curry, Walton, Diaw.

When playing with other players most people seem to only be able to handle small details and their individual roles. Rarely, there are those (like me) that see the bigger picture constantly while playing. I don't talk to people I play with regularly though in depth about bball topics.

What I see from this forum often is that people analyze the same way. They seem to only be able to only understand a small portion of a big pie when it comes to evaluating a player. This seems to stem from their real life basketball skills. Leads me to believe if you are a low skilled, narrow sighted player in real life you prolly also suck at analysis. Again, not equating this with your impact. You could be a great rebounder and 3 ball maker but still be a low skilled narrow sighted player.

the WHITE side

Quote Originally Posted by sundizz
    I think a lot of you are reading my original post wrong - my fault. I used very shizzy examples.

What i really mean is that I play basketball all the time. I've played competitively since I was 5 and haven't stopped (29 now).

However, i'm not even close to playing NBA or even competitive college level ball.

Yet, I consider myself to have an excellent analytical grasp of the game. Whether this is innate or learned is hard to say. Some people seem to play all their lives and not have it.

Some people can be great, even NBA level players without having this (kobe, jordan, russ). You don't necessarily need this ability to be a great player (size, shooting skill, defensive instincts are all equally important).

However, some players do have it. Larry Bird, Duncan, Nash, Curry, Walton, Diaw.

When playing with other players most people seem to only be able to handle small details and their individual roles. Rarely, there are those (like me) that see the bigger picture constantly while playing. I don't talk to people I play with regularly though in depth about bball topics.

What I see from this forum often is that people analyze the same way. They seem to only be able to only understand a small portion of a big pie when it comes to evaluating a player. This seems to stem from their real life basketball skills. Leads me to believe if you are a low skilled, narrow sighted player in real life you prolly also suck at analysis. Again, not equating this with your impact. You could be a great rebounder and 3 ball maker but still be a low skilled narrow sighted player.
    Of course you'll take it into account. If a guy who does nothing but shoot in a pickup game and doesn't play D and who yells at teammates for mistakes - well...

there's a reason his favorite player is kobe. (kobe does play D and is a winner, it's not a knock on kobe, but he tends to attract the stupid fans)

Very rarely will a guy who plays selfish losing basketball be someone who knows the game off the court. Because why wouldn't they implement their knowledge? They play that way because they're oblivious to the big picture of winning as a team.

Banned

KP going in. Holy shit.

It depends. If they think they can play, then yeah I do take their ability into account. Otherwise no, tons of teams hire guys who never played but have a genius understanding of the game.

I take their intelligence, logic, and critical thinking into account. That's the most important aspect in a person's opinion.

Playing basketball does give you an ability to be able to relate and understand certain situations. You don't necessarily have to be great. But at the same time most people that I see play have really low basketball IQ, but think they're really good because they over dribble under their legs, etc.

I would say that the majority of people on ISH has a better basketball IQ than the average person because they're exposed to so much in depth basketball talk. But out of everybody on ISH, I would say that around 3 posters really have a sound basketball mind. And the fact of the matter is that even though most think that they know a lot about the game, most people are just extremely ignorant and have a bias mind.