Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    National High School Star

Default Do you take people's basketball ability in account???

Do you take people's basketball ability in account when they give an opinion?

For example, I've heard on here a few times that CavsFTL is a pretty awful basketball player in real life (video somewhere?)

Does that make you respect his opinion on stuff less?

Just curious.

For the record, I definitely do.

Even if you are NBA good - like Dwight - but don't play a cerebral game I don't really respect their opinion. Doesn't mean they can't dominate, just that I don't really respect their understanding of the game. They dominate through physical ability and repetition rather than an innnate/learned understanding of the actual game (e.g., Bird)

Banned

Default Re: Do you take people's basketball ability in account???

Jordan was the GOAT player...

As a GM, President, owner..drafting players....one of the WOAT.

NBA Superstar

You can be 5'8 and unathletic and still have an innate understanding of the game.

Quote Originally Posted by sundizz
    For the record, I definitely do.
    not every reporter/fan/or whatever can be a pro or at least good at basketball .. it doesn't make people less "credible" when it comes to basketball knowledge ..

i would say jalen rose was a decent basketball player and i still don't care what he has to say ..

ISH's 1st Embiid Stan AboutBuckets's Avatar

I could probably beat Tex Winter in one-on-one. He has forgotten more about the actual game of basketball (not useless Wilt stories) than anyone on this forum likely has ever learned

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer DMAVS41's Avatar

No

When the guy with arguably the greatest on court bball IQ of all time has a strong history of flip flopping based on the flavor of the week, I don't really take it into account.

the WHITE side

Quote Originally Posted by K Xerxes
    When the guy with arguably the greatest on court bball IQ of all time has a strong history of flip flopping based on the flavor of the week, I don't really take it into account.
    Franklin the Tank > Justin Weenlow

I think you have to, to a degree. I know from experience how demanding a game it is, and only players understand subtleties. That doesn't mean you can't have a brilliant basketball mind if you haven't played...just the odds are against it.

NBA All-star

It's a factor. And I think it might make the situation worse by overtly trying to learn the technical stuff from the interpretation through regular conversations.

But in terms of observing, and trying to form decisions from that. Player history comes into play in my mind.

Which probably doesn't make me the best "hiring" employer, because I haven't done or ordered my fair share of background investigation.

Very good NBA starter

there are some guys who like to compare eras or players. but they're so blind to the game that they can't even observe the speed difference of game play. they can't even break down the defensive differences. they don't even know if a basketball move is bad play or not. all they know is, if the ball goes in, it's good, if it doesn't, it's bad. they have very simpleton ways of looking at the game. and their whole analysis is based on only stats, but they are completely blind and have no eyes for what's going on. and that lack of knowledge has so much to do with being a weak ass clueless player in real life.

the WHITE side

Quote Originally Posted by DCL
    there are some guys who like to compare eras or players. but they're so blind to the game that they can't even observe the speed difference of game play. they can't even break down the defensive differences. they don't even know if a basketball move is bad play or not. all they know is, if the ball goes in, it's good, if it doesn't, it's bad. they have very simpleton ways of looking at the game. and their whole analysis is based on only stats, but they are completely blind and have no eyes for what's going on. and that lack of knowledge has so much to them with being a weak ass clueless player in real life.
    Bingo.

CavsFTW is a perfect example of this.

Yes in terms of if they played for any type of organized, structured basketball. A person can be 5'10, unathletic but still know a great deal because he had good middle school, high school coaches that taught him the game, etc.

Versus someone who just picked up the game in their driveway or playing streetball with their friends..

For someone who has done quite a bit of both I would take the person in the first scenario way more seriously.

Future NBA G.O.A.T inclinerator's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by K Xerxes
    who magic?

Good college starter Dr. Cheesesteak's Avatar

No.

It's pseudo appeal-to-authority logical fallacy.