Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Default Re: Dwyane Wade's insensitive tweet about NY traffic

it may come off as insensitive, I agree, but I doubt he meant offense to those suffering right now.

Decent college freshman InfiniteBaskets's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcastic
    Do you even know what's going on in the NYC metro area right now? I don't think you do.
    I've been displaced from my apartment in lower Manhattan and I could care less if Kobe, LeBron, Wade, or Anthony Tolliver had decided to tweet about how long it takes to get into the city.

I've complained about the prolonged loss of power to my area for the past 3 days, yet there are people in suburban New Jersey and Staten Island / Long Island that have had their entire homes washed away. There's people that lost their homes due to fire, and people that've drowned in their homes due to flooding.

I don't think that takes away my right to complain though. Maybe he should've kept his complaint to himself because there are people out there that are more sensitive, but let's not pretend like we can't complain about anything to a lesser degree than going through the aftermath of a hurricane.

Quote Originally Posted by Lakers_Kobe_Fan
    He is a Black athlete.... Do you think they ace their SAT's? Please dont expect them to even have common sense

They are dumb fcuks who use their physical ability to earn money

I would be worried when obama/biden or anybody from the gov office tweets something like this
    Good to see how ISH is still full of racists

So if someone goes to a starving nation, and complains about a burnt hamburger not tasting good, he's not insensitive?

Don't act like you don't have an agenda in creating this thread, it's quite obvious. In fact, one could argue you are just as insensitive by using this to further your agenda.

2 be clear "Traffic tweet was meant 2 say"... We shouldn't B hre 2 play a basketball game when theirs so many families obviously still R affected by #Sandy
    Quote Originally Posted by LongLiveTheKing
    That's his next tweet. People misinterpreted the traffic tweet.
    Im still laughing at how weak this is, it's like a little kid did this retraction

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Quote Originally Posted by InfiniteBaskets
    I've been displaced from my apartment in lower Manhattan and I could care less if Kobe, LeBron, Wade, or Anthony Tolliver had decided to tweet about how long it takes to get into the city.

I've complained about the prolonged loss of power to my area for the past 3 days, yet there are people in suburban New Jersey and Staten Island / Long Island that have had their entire homes washed away. There's people that lost their homes due to fire, and people that've drowned in their homes due to flooding.

I don't think that takes away my right to complain though. Maybe he should've kept his complaint to himself because there are people out there that are more sensitive, but let's not pretend like we can't complain about anything to a lesser degree than going through the aftermath of a hurricane.
    Complaining that you don't have power, lost a home, or have been displaced is a legitimate complaint. Bitching about traffic being bad after a hurricane is insensitive. No one is saying he should have a huge smile on his face about 3 hour traffic. Of course no one likes to be in traffic. But have some fcking awareness of what just happened, and WHY there is 3 hour traffic right now.

I'd love to see him say something like this the next time Miami gets torn apart from a hurricane. I have a feeling he will be a little more sensitive towards people's conditions in his community.

NBA rookie of the year

Quote Originally Posted by derb2k2
    it may come off as insensitive, I agree, but I doubt he meant offense to those suffering right now.

About 50% of insensitive remarks are probably not meant to be offensive, just a result of poor decision making/a focus on ones own problems. As a poster said previously if you complain about slightly burned food while people around you are starving, whether you meant to offend them or not your comment is still offensive.

I have had similar incidences of insensitivity, although i would never consciously offend others (I'm a nice person and dont see the benefit in tearing others down).

Quote Originally Posted by RRR3
    Don't act like you don't have an agenda in creating this thread, it's quite obvious. In fact, one could argue you are just as insensitive by using this to further your agenda.
    There's no agendas here. I'm just bringing to light a stupid tweet made by an NBA player. A tweet so stupid that the NBA player had to delete it afterwards. If Carmelo Anthony made an insensitive comment, I would say the same thing about him.

So if someone goes to a starving nation, and complains about a burnt hamburger not tasting good, he's not insensitive?

Nah that's different. Dwade didn't go to a new yorker who is struggling with their shit, he posted what he was dealing with at the moment on a website where you - drumroll - post what you are dealing with at the moment. He didn't knock anyone, didn't mention a hurricane, just complained about being stuck in traffic for three hours. The way I understand it, the damage and problems are inner city and the roads leading into the city haven't been fukked up too much by the hurricane. Complaining about traffic =/= being an insensitive douchebag towards who were affected

NBA rookie of the year

Complaining that you don't have power, lost a home, or have been displaced is a legitimate complaint. Bitching about traffic being bad after a hurricane is insensitive. No one is saying he should have a huge smile on his face about 3 hour traffic. Of course no one likes to be in traffic. But have some fcking awareness of what just happened, and WHY there is 3 hour traffic right now.

I'd love to see him say something like this the next time Miami gets torn apart from a hurricane. I have a feeling he will be a little more sensitive towards people's conditions in his community.
    Exactly, have some common sense, don't complain about how unstylish your home is to a homeless person.

There's no agendas here. I'm just bringing to light a stupid tweet made by an NBA player. A tweet so stupid that the NBA player had to delete it afterwards. If Carmelo Anthony made an insensitive comment, I would say the same thing about him.
    I'm not arguing that he shouldn't have been more aware, I'm saying we can't turn around and suddenly jump to conclusions about the guy being a douchebag or being spoiled and all that sh*t just because he posted a stupid tweet complaining about traffic

Quote Originally Posted by MavsSuperFan
    About 50% of insensitive remarks are probably not meant to be offensive, just a result of poor decision making/a focus on ones own problems. As a poster said previously if you complain about slightly burned food while people around you are starving, whether you meant to offend them or not your comment is still offensive.

I have had similar incidences of insensitivity, although i would never consciously offend others (I'm a nice person and dont see the benefit in tearing others down).

Exactly. I don't think Wade was consciously trying to be an asshole about it.

Dunking on everybody in the park Court Vision's Avatar

I hope Chandler sends him to the floor a few times.

NBA rookie of the year

Quote Originally Posted by red1
    Nah that's different. Dwade didn't go to a new yorker who is struggling with their shit, he posted what he was dealing with at the moment on a website where you - drumroll - post what you are dealing with at the moment. He didn't knock anyone, didn't mention a hurricane, just complained about being stuck in traffic for three hours. The way I understand it, the damage and problems are inner city and the roads leading into the city haven't been fukked up too much by the hurricane. Complaining about traffic =/= being an insensitive douchebag towards who were affected
    But the moment you saw his first tweet, you didnt think that it would be taken the wrong way? He is a public figure and along with the benefits of being one, their are costs.