Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast
    Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

Default An unnecessarily long Kobe video and a shorter but still excessive post.

I get several messages a week on youtube asking why I never made a Kobe video...when I have in fact made 3. I just made them in 2002 and 2003 back when 600 of them were not made a week. But I got sick of explaining that...plus....Kobe does deserve some attention for the last 6 years(not that he doesnt get it).

I split it into 4 parts becaused really...who is watching 40 minutes of anyone in one sitting? Thats right. Its 40 minutes long. It was 10. That left too much out. Then 20....still left too much out. Then it was likely to approach an hour and a half and that was my "**** that...." point. settled on 4 10 minute parts which I feel cover enough.

Part 1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JV4q_XX6-y8
    ^
    Age 16 to mini fro dunking on everyone showboat Kobe.

Part 2
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=59o2YYh8AS0
    ^
    Threepeat era Kobe and....the unpleasantness...

Part 3
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7RcnfN4OzBQ
    ^
    Post shaq scoring crazy Kobe.

Part 4
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBX-p8jwHdc
    ^
    MVP/mature/winning Kobe.

As I do not expect anyone to just sit and watch these back to back to back...to back...I wont bother writing out all I think about each era of Kobe right now. Instead ill space it out over the course of the day likely throwing them together in halftimes and pregame shows. The more I think about it ...in a combo of legacy and skills? Kobe is rapidly approaching the point you can justify calling him top 10 all time. Used to be something only idiot kids could think but when you really reeeeeally look into it?

What has Oscar Robertson done that Kobe has not?

Yes yes. We know the triple double season. But if we are gonna rank him over Kobe because of the stats we would likely have ot rank him over Jordan, Bird, and Magic too and it seems few wish to do that. Guy put up like 31/12/10. Hes got better numbers than anyone but Wilt and Baylor. But few really rank him where those numbers would plae him(top 3-4 all time). Nobody sure as hell ranks Baylor where his numbers put him all time(second...he was a 38/19 player you know?). So why make Kobe the modern exception to that?

Kobe even in an era with far less offense scored more than Oscar. Both have an MVP. Kobe has 3 rings as a #2 while Oscar has 1 as a #2. Neither won as best player. Oscar has more all NBA first teams but after this year Kobe is only 2 short. If not for the lockout year Kobe has the same number of all star games as Oscar.

My point isnt exactly that Kobe is the equal of Oscar....but...you cant call it a blowout accomplishment wise. You really cant. Kobe has climed the ladder that fast. Oscar? baylor? West? Hondo. Even Isiah. Plenty of guys to be called top 10 all time and have it accepted.....have not done much Kobe has not. And Kobe is in or near his prime and could realistically win 2-3 rings more. I wouldnt bet on it. But it wouldnt shock me either.

Why shouldnt the Lakers win it all? How often is arguably the best player in the league(not that I think it...but its a reasonable opinion) on the most talented team in the league? Gasol...Bynum...Odom...Ariza..Walton(people dont seem to like him but I love his game)...Fisher. coach with 9 titles already who if not the best x and os guy sure as hell is a great motivator and manager of egos. Team has it all. And they are young. No reason they shouldnt win a title. Or two.

And if it happens Kobe haters beware. Kobe with 5 rings and 7 finals? you know what will happen. A few people were saying he was as good as Jordan when I first got here(01-02 season). I will leave it at that.

Now...

Young Kobe.

Kobe in high school and his first year or two in the league was hard to call for me. Virtually every NBA player looks like a god in high school. Anyone ever see Tim THomas high school highlights? Guy was like 6'8'' with an insane shooting touch and was seemingly everywhere at once. Or Vince Carter. Same there. Good NBA players wreck it in high school. SO I dont know what exactly people saw in Kobe to make them so sure of his future greatness.

Or really I should say what Jerry West saw. Though him seeimg Kobe eating guys like Michael Cooper in workouts no doubt factored in.

Im gonna stop here because frankly I dont care enough about Kobe to look away from a Bulls playoff game but ill get back to this later.
    Last edited by Kblaze8855; 05-19-2009 at 08:02 PM.

Dunking on everybody in the park

Default Re: An unnecessarily long Kobe video and a shorter but still excessive post.

Im not even saying that you're wrong, but to compare Kobe to any player that put up big numbers in every stat, that is kinda foolish. I watched 1 of your long ass videos, nice work fella, but you gotta be more realistic when looking at Kobes career.

Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

Default Re: An unnecessarily long Kobe video and a shorter but still excessive post.

You can call it foolish if you wish. But we both know that in 5 years Kobe will retire considered at or above the level of guys like Oscar even if he isnt. Most people put him top 10-20 all time right now and hes not even old enough to get that living legend status that gets guys overrated towards the end of their careers. Plenty of people argue his Jordan good right now. So why would him being considered Oscar good be odd to you?

Certified ISHiot.

When youtube blocks the audio try Yahoo video. Works great for me.

Banned

I agree Kobe will retire as top 10 AT, but if he fails again this season I am not sure if they can ever win another title unless he ring searches.

Very good NBA starter

IMO-there is so much to be said about him. I think he is the second greatest shooting guard, but he will NEVER be better then Jordan. This is something that is answered by watching them play. He could have 5 rings in 7 finals appearances, finals mvp, scoring titles, the works. But when you look at how he plays at that same position as Jordan...

Jordan CONTROLLED games and you could tell he had everyone mentally and phyically shook in every way possible. Kobe is AMAZING when he is on but he is really capable of being stopped (Same as LeBron) when compared to Jordan. I just think that Jordan was ahead of every other play in every aspect, awards, skills, domination in every way possible

I've only tried to watch the last vid, and maybe it's just me, but it looks as if it was made in cheap stop motion; no part of it runs smoothly although the song (time) runs normally.

Quote Originally Posted by Mdog1
    I agree Kobe will retire as top 10 AT, but if he fails again this season I am not sure if they can ever win another title unless he ring searches.
    Don't see that logic at all, with a possible dominant big man in Andrew Bynum..Kobe will have plenty of chances to win several more titles If Bynum continues to develop and stays healthly....this Laker team is still very young.
    Last edited by All Net; 04-18-2009 at 01:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kblaze8855
    You can call it foolish if you wish. But we both know that in 5 years Kobe will retire considered at or above the level of guys like Oscar even if he isnt. Most people put him top 10-20 all time right now and hes not even old enough to get that living legend status that gets guys overrated towards the end of their careers. Plenty of people argue his Jordan good right now. So why would him being considered Oscar good be odd to you?
    Good point, and that is the truth like a motha****a, I 100% agree with you. Thats the thing with sports though, its all opinions when considering who is top 10 or whatever, that is basically built off of who was the most hyped player of your era, Kobe has been that for a while so some people decisions are already established, reguardless of the fact that the numbers or accomplishments makes him look a lot less great than he is considered. I believe if Kobe retired today thousands of people would still say he is top 10, that dont mean they are right, its just what they know to their personal knowlege, thats why I choose to judge players off of skills I see on the court, numbers, accomplishments, and highlight reels, and honestly, I cant even say Oscar was the better player cause I havent seen enough in game footage or looked at enough stats.

Put yr guns up

Quote Originally Posted by All Net
    Don't see that logic at all, with a possible domiant big man in Andre Bynum..Kobe will have plenty of chances to win several more titles If Bynum continues to develop and stays healthly....this Laker team is still very young.
    Even as a Laker hater, I have to agree. Added to that, every team in the West besides Denver/Portland seems to be on the decline right now (obviously other teams can make trades/FA moves to improve).

Quote Originally Posted by v-unit
    IMO-there is so much to be said about him. I think he is the second greatest shooting guard, but he will NEVER be better then Jordan. This is something that is answered by watching them play. He could have 5 rings in 7 finals appearances, finals mvp, scoring titles, the works. But when you look at how he plays at that same position as Jordan...

Jordan CONTROLLED games and you could tell he had everyone mentally and phyically shook in every way possible. Kobe is AMAZING when he is on but he is really capable of being stopped (Same as LeBron) when compared to Jordan. I just think that Jordan was ahead of every other play in every aspect, awards, skills, domination in every way possible
    I 100% agree with everything you said, and it is the personal reason that im so hard on Kobe, cause I know how good he is, but when compared to MJ, he falls short badly. And of course Kobe is 2nd best 2guard, but that can easily be passed by Wade through 10 more years. When thinking about MJ, he was no doubt the best player in the NBA while he played, no of the other perimeter players stopped or scared MJ, everybody knew they had no chance.

I rule the local playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mdog1
    Took the words right out of Barkley's mouth

That doesn't make sense at all, they rank up there with the Cavs. I see a 7 game or less final goind either way (Cavs vs Lakers) and experience is in favour of the Lakers. What makes a big difference a year or 2 away? If the Lakers have a completely healthy season they are just as much competing for the finals as the Cavs and Celtics.

I hate the Lakers, and am not nor never will be a Kobe fan but I can't help but realize they have an amazingly talented team. And for Barkley to spew that garbage analysis... and have people regurgitate it all over the place is utter nonsense.

Gots Ta Be Li Showtam! The Magic Man's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by v-unit
    he will NEVER be better then Jordan.
    I always laugh when I see quotes like this. Not saying he will ever be better but damn, you guys just have your mind made up huh? Lol, let's say he averages 40 ppg, 10rpg, 10 apg for the next 6 seasons and wins 6 titles and 6 MVPs. I bet half the people on ISH would say, nope, MJ was better. Lol, not trying to stir things up, it's just funny that people are so arrogant or ignorant enough to say something will NEVER happen. News Flash. There's a baby being born right now who's gonna shatter everything MJ, Kobe, or LBJ has ever done. If we, as humans, can not evolve and build on the groundwork laid by our forefathers then what good are we?

MJ was the most outstanding player ever. His resume is gonna be hard for any player to top but it's not out of the realm of possibility is it? Op, I'm not saying you fit this mold, but the statement just got me thinking about this. Can you honestly sit there and say Kobe has no chance, with at least 5 more years of high level ball left in him, to be the best ever? Lebron James, who, at this age, has accomplished more than MJ? Dwayne Wade? Kevin Durant? Derrick Rose? OJ Mayo? Little Billy in Anytown, USA? Man, MJ was amazing and I feel privilaged to be able to say I've seen him play but the MJ > Food, Water, and Sex talk is just getting out of hand.

This is gonna fall on deaf ears and I'll be called a homer for having a Lakers avi but I guess it just ultimately shows who the real homers and fanatics are.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by All Net
    Don't see that logic at all, with a possible dominant big man in Andrew Bynum..Kobe will have plenty of chances to win several more titles If Bynum continues to develop and stays healthly....this Laker team is still very young.

How can you be dominant when you are only out on the court half the season.

The Lakers team outside of Bynum isn't that young in the top position.

Farmar has declined, Ariza is a defensive player only, and Sasha's game is limited to chucking.

National High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by The Magic Man
    I always laugh when I see quotes like this. Not saying he will ever be better but damn, you guys just have your mind made up huh? Lol, let's say he averages 40 ppg, 10rpg, 10 apg for the next 6 seasons and wins 6 titles and 6 MVPs. I bet half the people on ISH would say, nope, MJ was better. Lol, not trying to stir things up, it's just funny that people are so arrogant or ignorant enough to say something will NEVER happen. News Flash. There's a baby being born right now who's gonna shatter everything MJ, Kobe, or LBJ has ever done. If we, as humans, can not evolve and build on the groundwork laid by our forefathers then what good are we?

MJ was the most outstanding player ever. His resume is gonna be hard for any player to top but it's not out of the realm of possibility is it? Op, I'm not saying you fit this mold, but the statement just got me thinking about this. Can you honestly sit there and say Kobe has no chance, with at least 5 more years of high level ball left in him, to be the best ever? Lebron James, who, at this age, has accomplished more than MJ? Dwayne Wade? Kevin Durant? Derrick Rose? OJ Mayo? Little Billy in Anytown, USA? Man, MJ was amazing and I feel privilaged to be able to say I've seen him play but the MJ > Food, Water, and Sex talk is just getting out of hand.

This is gonna fall on deaf ears and I'll be called a homer for having a Lakers avi but I guess it just ultimately shows who the real homers and fanatics are.
    I must agree there will probably be someone better someday at the SG position than Jordan. But regarding Kobe this would be an excellent post had it been made 6 years ago.