Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Default Re: Hakeem is not a top10 Player

Quote Originally Posted by IGOTGAME
    Hakeem is a great player and arguably top ten. But he is often overrated on this board.
    Basically about the best way to say it. You would think that a top 10 player would be regarded as a top 3 player for most of his prime, but Hakeem really wasn't. Jordan, Magic, and usually Barkley were almost always ranked higher.

Clippers ALL DAY

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcastic
    Basically about the best way to say it. You would think that a top 10 player would be regarded as a top 3 player for most of his prime, but Hakeem really wasn't. Jordan, Magic, and usually Barkley were almost always ranked higher.
    Agreed. This is not a knock on Hakeem. He was indeed a great player but he gets overrated a lot.

Local High School Star Joey Zaza's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcastic
    After he won the title in '95 Bob Costas called him the best player on the planet.

Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

People were calling him the best player in 96 too. The possible Hakeem/Jordan finals was getting talked about a lot.

ThaSwagg3r
    Fan in the Stands (unregistered)

Hakeem is a great player and arguably top ten. But he is often overrated on this board.
    Give me 10 guys arguably better. I can give you 9 but not 10.

OT: I wouldn't be surprised if Dwyane Wade ends up getting the Hakeem treatment when Wade reaches the twilight of his career or when he retires. Hakeem pretty much never got his dues when he was playing but he seems to always get it and probably gets too much of it now a days. It wouldn't surprise me at all if Wade ends up being treated by the public the same. They'll be like "damn, this guy was really good after all, too bad we were spotlighting that choking loser LeBron all this time."

Wade is pretty much the Hakeem Olajuwon of this era while LeBron is pretty much the David Robinson of this era.

Quote Originally Posted by ThaSwagg3r
    Give me 10 guys arguably better. I can give you 9 but not 10.

OT: I wouldn't be surprised if Dwyane Wade ends up getting the Hakeem treatment when Wade reaches the twilight of his career or when he retires. Hakeem pretty much never got his dues when he was playing but he seems to always get it and probably gets too much of it now a days. It wouldn't surprise me at all if Wade ends up being treated by the public the same. They'll be like "damn, this guy was really good after all, too bad we were spotlighting that choking loser LeBron all this time."
    in no order

Wilt
    Russel
    Kareem
    Shaq
    Duncan

Magic
    MJ
    Kobe
    Bird
    Kobe

here are 10 players who can be argued to be better...some may include Oscar as as well

Quote Originally Posted by millwad

but it's a fact that Hakeem is the only NBA superstar who didn't have a loosing record vs MJ..
    Larry Bird sais hi.

ThaSwagg3r
    Fan in the Stands (unregistered)

in no order

Wilt
    Russel
    Kareem
    Shaq
    Duncan

Magic
    MJ
    Kobe
    Bird
    Kobe

here are 10 players who can be argued to be better...some may include Oscar as as well
    You understand you have Kobe twice right?

Not to mention it is arguable that Hakeem was better than Kobe was. I actually do have Kobe ahead of Hakeem in my all-time list, but Hakeem has a pretty good argument himself especially if you have a high value in peak play and impact on the court.

Oscar has no argument over Hakeem, none.

Very good NBA starter wally_world's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by winwin
    *insert troll face*

Quote Originally Posted by ThaSwagg3r
    You understand you have Kobe twice right?

Not to mention it is arguable that Hakeem was better than Kobe was. I actually do have Kobe ahead of Hakeem in my all-time list, but Hakeem has a pretty good argument himself especially if you have a high value in peak play and impact on the court.

Oscar has no argument over Hakeem, none.
    that was a mistake, I think I had Oscar there first but removed him.

Troll who tries to provoke you

Lightbulb Re: Hakeem is not a top10 Player

Fact 1: Hakeem owned & Butt raped every HOF centers (Parish, Ewing, D'Rob) including Shaq in Marquee match ups ('95 Finals sweep)

Fact 2: In 1994, Hakeem "The Dream" delivered the single best NBA Season ever by a player in NBA History including GOAT Michael Jordan. A clean Sweep (NBA Reg Sea MVP + NBA Finals MVP + NBA DPOY)

Fact 3: Hakeem has "true" "Legit" (unlike Kobe's & Shaq's) back-2-back Finals MVPs beating Marquee arch-rival at Center Position (Ewing in '94; O'Neal in '95)

Fact 4: Hakeem the one of 3 centers ever to win Back-2-Back DPOY titles. (Lazy Shaq got ZERO)

Fact 5: Hakeem is "underrated" & often "overlooked" because he did not play for NBAs winningest franchises like Lakers & Celtics & unlike Shaq ditching Magic franchise, he stayed truly loyal to Rockets franchise & never demanded a trade & now is the face of that franchise. A respect well deserved & well earned like GOAT MJ with Bulls.

Fact 6: Only Reason why Hakeem Lost "Rookie of the Year" honor because he was drafted the same year as GOAT who had even better Rookie season than Hakeem with Bulls. (compare this to rookie kobe. )

Fact 7: Nobody in the NBA History "inside the paint" has better hand-eye coordination & foot work than Hakeem (Not Kareem, not Shaq, not Charles, not wilt no one)

Fact 8: Hakeem had the misfortune of playing the same era as Michael Jordan's Bulls dynasty, Bird's era & Magic's Laker's era. If Hakeem played in Shaq's '99-'04 Era, Hakeem could've easily had 5 consequitive Finals MVPs & 3 Reg Sea MVPs with no one to challenge him at center position in Finals (an easy finals MVPs Shaq accumulated)

Fact 9: Kobe Bryant, Dwight Howard, Lebron James are Hakeem's loyal students & take lessons from Hakeem because All 3 knows, Hakeem is clearly better baller than they could ever be..

Fact 10: No center in the NBA History has been so completely dominant offensively, defensively, efficiency, outside, mid-range, inside the paint, block shots, steals, superb passer from the post etc etc. than Hakeem. "The Dream" maybe the most complete center NBA has ever produced without single weakness.

Hakeem "the Dream" Olayjuwon is NOT just Top 10 GOATs

Hakeem " The Dream" Olayjuwon is GUARANTEED Top 8 GOATs to ever play the game. above duncan, above shaq & clearly above that overrated kobe.

in no order

Wilt
    Russel
    Kareem
    Shaq
    Duncan

Magic
    MJ
    Kobe
    Bird
    Kobe

You listed Kobe twice.

OP twists things to suit his purpose. In the Duncan/Barkley/Malone thread, he discounts career achievements, rings, stats, consistency and looks at (offensive) peak/competition. In this thread, he's claiming that Hakeem's career is not top 10 because of lack of consistency in playoff runs but ignores the competition. How about looking at everything when evaluating players - instead of cherry-picking?

Skill-wise, he's certainly up there - an elite offensive and defensive force. Competition - he was in an era playing against great big men. He won 2 rings with relatively weak casts (compared to the other top 10) putting up dominating playoff performances.

If he'd been as fortunate as Kobe is with team mates, maybe he would have won 5 rings too. Certainly I would pick Hakeem over Kobe to start a franchise. It's only because of the sheer weight of Kobe's career, that I have him at #9 and Hakeem at #10 - not because he's a better player (peak or impact).

Clippers ALL DAY

Quote Originally Posted by rmt
    You listed Kobe twice.

OP twists things to suit his purpose. In the Duncan/Barkley/Malone thread, he discounts career achievements, rings, stats, consistency and looks at (offensive) peak/competition. In this thread, he's claiming that Hakeem's career is not top 10 because of lack of consistency in playoff runs but ignores the competition. How about looking at everything when evaluating players - instead of cherry-picking?

Skill-wise, he's certainly up there - an elite offensive and defensive force. Competition - he was in an era playing against great big men. He won 2 rings with relatively weak casts (compared to the other top 10) putting up dominating playoff performances.

If he'd been as fortunate as Kobe is with team mates, maybe he would have won 5 rings too. Certainly I would pick Hakeem over Kobe to start a franchise. It's only because of the sheer weight of Kobe's career, that I have him at #9 and Hakeem at #10 - not because he's a better player (peak or impact).
    Look, you're either stupid or you can't read. In that thread I said Duncan is
    the GOAT PF in terms of achievements. I was just talking about their individual performances in that thread you idiot.

And in this thread I didn't say anything about Hakeem's skills or his individual performance. This thread is about his career which doesn't really belong in the top10. I would pick Hakeem over Kobe if I was starting a franchise but that's not the question here, is it?

Idiot.

Good High School Starter

op still a ******* retard, duncan still the goat pf

I hit open 5-foot jumpshots with ease

He is on right on the edge of top 10, but I do think he gets overrated on these boards when people claim he is better than Shaq or Kobe. The bottom line is that he had 3 truly great seasons from 1992 to 1995, which is not quite enough to put him on their level. In 1994, the Rockets barely beat the Knicks with already declining Ewing, who barely beat Indiana and Jordanless Chicago. In 1995, the Rockets would have lost if Phoenix would not have chocked. Hackeem played great but i cannot say he outplayed 23-year old Shaq - it was pretty even i think. In 1999, prime Shaq destroyed him (and yes, i recognize Hackeem was past his prime then).