Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst 123456714 ... LastLast
    Banned

Default Re: 2013 Fall camp/Pre-Season!

Jefferson isn't to happy about leaving the Castro for Mormon city...

I thought he'd be happy. Plenty of fresh white meat available in Utah.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Xiao Yao You's Avatar

Rusty Simmons: Andris Biedrins seems really happy in Utah. "Of course, it's no secret that things weren't going my way. It's nice to have a fresh start." Twitter @Rusty_SFChron
    Didn't play much and Gobert and Evans looked good.

Posted on October 8, 2013 by David Locke
    EMPTYING THE NOGGIN

Big Question of the night is how much was the Warriors 33% shooting because of pre-season, fatigue (3 games in 4 nights) or because of the new Jazz focus on defense.

I think it is probably mostly the first two, that is how both Thurl Bailey and Ron Boone felt during the broadcast but you saw good rotations and you saw lots of rim protection. Some of the pick and roll defense still needs work.
    Still got to be better without Al no?

[QUOTE]Favors rebounding was awesome. 14 rebounds, 12 on the defensive end in just 26 minutes

Trey Burke played a nice game. His line tonight is what we should expect most nights

[QUOTE]1. The Jazz

Favors is much farther behind, as he played in 252 more minutes in his third season as he did as a rookie. Because his second season was a lockout shortened year he essentially played Kyrylo Fesenko type minutes. He's never gotten close to playing 2,000 minutes before. (Which, btw, is not on him, it's on the coaches or the general manager.
    Some of it's on him. He's had problems with fouls regardless.

The Jazz got rid of a guy who scored 30 ppg four times in five years to make room for a guy going into his second year before when they moved Adrian Dantley for Karl Malone's benefit. But they decided to keep Al Jefferson around (a never ever all-star vs. the HOFer Dantley is) in order to retard Favors' growth?)
    They didn't move AD for Karl. They moved him for Frank Layden.

That all looks to change this season as both players, now into their fourth year and on the precipice of getting significant raises, will finally have the ball in their hands, and be on the court at the same time.

Let's not mince words here, Hayward as a shooting guard is a much better defender than Randy Foye is. And Derrick Favors as a center is a much better defender than Al Jefferson could ever dream to be. If Gordon is at the three he has to contend with some pretty heavy duty guys but still doesn't back down. Against power forwards Favors will have to contend with more and more face up guys who will draw him out of the paint. Regardless, on defense these two deserved to be on the court more. They will be on the court more this season. And both will help one another out.

So much so that the game plan for the other team will most likely end up being "run a pick and roll with the guys Favors and Hayward AREN'T defending" and try to take them out of the play area as much as possible.

I really believe in their defense, and I think that their length and mobility will cause fits for other teams. Even better is that Hayward doesn't gamble (unlike, say, a guy who got the media to rebrand gambling as hustle like DeMarre Carroll did)
    All I know is that they generally looked a lot better with Demarre on the floor.

, and Favors can defend shots without leaving his feet. In a season where we need them to stay out of foul trouble it's good that they can play grounded, fundamentally sound defense.

If there is a problem with these two it appears to be on offense, and that's really only because Favors isn't a one on one scorer just yet and does pick up offensive fouls. Really though? I'm not worried at all because this year we expect our players to be able to counter attack more because of defensive stops (remember what those are Utah Jazz fans?) -- and Hayward is good enough to get the board and run the break, and I'm sure a guy like Favors has learned to trail really well by now. (Karl Malone's voice seems hoarse and it's only October)

These two guys are going to lead our team, and help one another. We saw how John Stockton and Karl Malone worked so well together as a 1 and a 4. Right now? Right now we have a chance to see the evolution of the game as our best players are a wing and a defensive big. Two or three, four or five, it almost doesn't matter anymore -- just as long as they get out on the floor together this year.

Surprise_favors

N.B. Over their three year career, these two cats have played a grand total of 2,017 minutes together. Which means they're at a first year level, going into their fourth. They need to be together more. Good things will happen.

Hayward + Favors Career on the floor together Averages
    Season G Min PTS REB AST STL BLK +/- MPG PPG RPG AST SPG BPG
    2010 2011 Reg 20 273 518 236 115 39 40 -52 13.7 25.9 11.8 5.8 2.0 2.0
    2011 2012 Reg 58 664 1365 685 290 93 87 39 11.4 23.5 11.8 5.0 1.6 1.5
    2011 2012 Play 4 70 141 67 21 8 11 -12 17.5 35.3 16.8 5.3 2.0 2.8
    2012 2013 Reg 67 1010 2046 938 482 183 148 33 15.1 30.5 14.0 7.2 2.7 2.2
    Total 149 2017 4070 1926 908 323 286 8 13.5 27.3 12.9 6.1 2.2 1.9
    I do think that them being on the court together for about 13.5 mpg is a little too low. Don't you?
    Only because Jefferson sucked so bad.

[QUOTE]"We want to see Alec coming off the bench right now

"I try not to think about [the summer league performance] anymore," Burke said afterward. "That was one phase, my first real taste of the NBA. Now I

Corbin said he still might tinker with his starting lineup and rotations. He wanted to put the 33-year-old Jefferson, entering his 13th season, into the opening lineup to steady the younger starters.

"He

Kanter hadn

[QUOTE]One area in which they can be consistent is rebounding. Led by Favors

There was Jeremy Evans playing like he deserved to be there. There was the entire team doing a thing called defense. There was Gordon Hayward ripping the ball out of Klay Thompson's hands, AK-style. There was the bench, the terrible bench as we've all been told, playing pretty well. There was Favors playing like the Captain of the Defense. There was a starting lineup that figured out how to get out of a funk all by itself. There was Trey Burke looking like The Trey Burke, NCAA Player of the Year. There was Kanter. There was Burks. There was Richard Jefferson. There wasJohn Lucas, III. There was Gobert. There was Biedrins.

I feel kinda bad now for making fun of the RJeff start. He played decently, and that block was Boss. And Beans ... what a move for the score.

But to me, one thing stands out above all else. It was late 2nd quarter or early 3rd, the Jazz missed a shot and were getting back on defense. There was Favors, shouting out to Kanter where he needed to go. And Kanter wasn't moving. I don't know if he didn't hear, or didn't understand, or what. But he wasn't moving.

And so Favors put both hands on Kanter's back and shoved him to the spot he needed to be.

Folks ... this changes everything.

We're used to seeing a Captain of the Offense. It's called a Point Guard, and we've had some really terrific ones. Now we have a Captain of the Defense, and he's a Power Forward/Center.

More than anything else, it was obvious to me how much the team really has been working to defend well. It's not just lip service. It's not just the catch phrase of the training camp. They were doing it like they cared, like there was a plan, and like they were working together.

Sure, it'll take more than one pre-season game to know whether the plan will consistently work, to know whether the players will consistently dedicate themselves to it, to know how much more work and tweaks it will need. And there was likely some fatigue factor for Golden State.

But for the first time I can remember ... and possibly the first time since Frank Layden sat in the coach's chair ... the entire team seems to have made a commitment to defend like it matters.
    Frank Layden?

Random Stats that made me happy:

Favors and Jeremy combining for 27 rebounds.
    Hayward and Burks combining for 12 assists.
    Jeremy Evans shooting 6-11 and hitting dunks, layups, and jumpers.
    Kanter and Favors getting only 2 fouls apiece
    8 blocked shots by the team; 3 by Favors.
    7 rebounds by Hayward

It's a long way from winning the first pre-season game to conquering the universe. But whatever. For a night, it felt like the universe was there to be had.

Did it matter?

Of course it did. Had they lost, had they played poorly, we would have had to mutter: "I'm not worried" over and over. And you know what, maybe we'll be in that spot on Friday.

But what fun to just enjoy and celebrate. NBA basketball is back. The Jazz feel reborn. And our guys win a game by dominating defensively.

The Quintet

I'm bringing back the Jazz Quintet to my post game recaps. For those of you who are newer, these are five guys who I feel best represented what was good about the team. It was a great idea until one day I was irritated with some players and deliberately included only three. Amar got mad, because it totally messed up his spreadsheet of Quintet mentions.

Well, here's my Quintet for Pre-Season Game 1:

Preseason1quintet_medium

Derrick ... for Captaining the Defense
    Jeremy ... for showing that you belong on the court
    Ty ... for making defense more than just word-of-the-week
    Alec ... for willingly leading the bench
    Andris ... for that awesome score

Aaron Falk: Corbin said he's in "no rush" to cut down his 20-man roster at this point in the preseason. Twitter @tribjazz

McGuire

[QUOTE]Forward Dominic McGuire holds one distinction among the 20 players participating in the Utah Jazz