Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 08-27-2012, 10:10 PM   #16
Rake2204
7-time NBA All-Star

Rake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: Paul George, Reverse 360 between legs dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by andgar923
I guess I'm jaded, I wasn't wowed by it.
Nah, you're not jaded. Dunking is not just about what kind of dunks someone can complete, but it's also about how they complete them. Paul George, for me, has struck me at this point as a dunker who has a solid arsenal, but a certain lack of flair.

Granted, you clearly have to be extremely athletic to pull off the dunks he can, but I also think the fact he stands at a long 6'8'' perhaps allows him to pull off certain jams he otherwise may not be able to if he were a few inches shorter. For instance, the clockwise 360 doesn't require the same "WOW" type of bounce and float in order for George to put it down. I mean, again, the fact he can pull that dunk off is excellent, but it can be seen that he's not really rising up that significantly, plus there seems to be limbs flailing all about.

In contrast, still impressive to me. But then again, I am a large Vince Carter dunk fan:

Rake2204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 02:18 AM   #17
InspiredLebowski
Roy Hibbert Super Star

InspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Would it be more impressive if Danny Granger did it? Because Danny's a quarter inch shorter with a 2+ inch longer wingspan.

I don't disagree that PG's dunks aren't real...theatrical I guess, I don't know what to call it. He combines too much stuff just because he can and it's a lot more technical than just elevating and doing a "simple" move, one big tomahawk, one between the legs, whatever, but with grace and elevation. How many people on earth do we think can put it between the legs while doing 3/4(ish) of a revolution? Like...25?

Him and Gerald Green are allegedly going to have a dunk off at this year's Fan Jam (pre-season hype the fans event thing). If they do I'll tape it. Because it'll be one of the best dunk contests ever.
InspiredLebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 02:22 AM   #18
andgar923
soundcloud.com/agua-1

andgar923 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterandgar923 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterandgar923 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterandgar923 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterandgar923 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterandgar923 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterandgar923 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterandgar923 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterandgar923 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rake2204
Nah, you're not jaded. Dunking is not just about what kind of dunks someone can complete, but it's also about how they complete them. Paul George, for me, has struck me at this point as a dunker who has a solid arsenal, but a certain lack of flair.

Granted, you clearly have to be extremely athletic to pull off the dunks he can, but I also think the fact he stands at a long 6'8'' perhaps allows him to pull off certain jams he otherwise may not be able to if he were a few inches shorter. For instance, the clockwise 360 doesn't require the same "WOW" type of bounce and float in order for George to put it down. I mean, again, the fact he can pull that dunk off is excellent, but it can be seen that he's not really rising up that significantly, plus there seems to be limbs flailing all about.

In contrast, still impressive to me. But then again, I am a large Vince Carter dunk fan:

I agree with everything.

But I think it's also more that he doesn't have that flair that other great dunkers have. Kemp was 6'10 and had tons of flair.
andgar923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 02:36 AM   #19
2swift4u
High School Starter

2swift4u has decent reputation2swift4u has decent reputation

second dunk was sick. no doubt!
2swift4u is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 09:01 AM   #20
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

GOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

How can you not be wowed by the 2nd dunk? Not many people will pull of Vince Carter dunks. Its the reason why he is arguably (imo he is) the greatest dunker of all time. Given how many decades of bball have been played and how many dunkers we've seen be it naked eye or via internet? Like come on. You set the bar to Vince level knowing damn well not many will top him overnight. And now you cant appreciate and be wowed any more by a sick dunk which is what George pulled off with the 2nd.
GOBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 12:08 PM   #21
wang4three
NJ Net Fan For Life.

wang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation here

That was awesome.
wang4three is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 01:01 PM   #22
Mr Exlax
McFailed next season

Mr Exlax is a pretty well-respected posterMr Exlax is a pretty well-respected posterMr Exlax is a pretty well-respected poster

I'm a big Paul George fan, but it didn't look good. It's hard to explain. I know the dunk was amazing. It just didn't do it for me.
Mr Exlax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 01:16 PM   #23
pauk
NBA Legend

pauk has an incredible reputation herepauk has an incredible reputation herepauk has an incredible reputation herepauk has an incredible reputation herepauk has an incredible reputation herepauk has an incredible reputation herepauk has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Yearning
Young guys these days always wasting time. Work on your post game, defense, and jump shot please.

This...
pauk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 01:30 PM   #24
dajadeed
High School Starter

dajadeed has decent reputationdajadeed has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Yearning
Young guys these days always wasting time. Work on your post game, defense, and jump shot please.

Jordan and Kobe used to do this type of thing too. A dunk exhibition isn't stopping any player from putting time on their real game.
dajadeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 11:06 PM   #25
Lebron23
Most Valuable Player

Lebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rake2204

The greatest dunker of all time.
Lebron23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 11:18 PM   #26
Rake2204
7-time NBA All-Star

Rake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOBB
How can you not be wowed by the 2nd dunk? Not many people will pull of Vince Carter dunks. Its the reason why he is arguably (imo he is) the greatest dunker of all time. Given how many decades of bball have been played and how many dunkers we've seen be it naked eye or via internet? Like come on. You set the bar to Vince level knowing damn well not many will top him overnight. And now you cant appreciate and be wowed any more by a sick dunk which is what George pulled off with the 2nd.
I did not mean to set the bar at Vince's level. I was just trying to use him as an example of someone who was able to successfully combine flair, power and grace into his outstanding dunks.

To be clear, I'm impressed with George's second dunk. But undoubtedly, there was something missing. I could logically reason that it was a pretty outstanding jam, but it certainly didn't strike me emotionally, if that makes sense. There's a lot of dunks even nowadays that'll take out of my proverbial seat, but this just wasn't one of them. Something's missing on a lot of his dunks but I don't know what.
Rake2204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 11:59 PM   #27
50inchvertical
College star

50inchvertical has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOBB

On contraire, it's 6'0 dudes doing those dunks nowadays and Vince didn't even create them, he stole them from Jameel Pugh. TFB has guys under 6ft doing that shit
50inchvertical is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: