Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345

Default Re: Best Defensive Point Guard in the NBA?

Quote Originally Posted by hawksdogsbraves
    He has a point, Lebron abused Rose when he guarded him in the playoffs. I don't think any PG in the league could have come close to having that effect on the MVP.
    DJ Augustin.

You thought I was joking, didn't you?

Quote Originally Posted by Rose
    Those stats are for Derrick Rose's entire career... they're just slightly below his full career averages.

In the 2010-11 season, Rose averaged 22 ppg, 7.5 apg, 3.5 rpg, 1 spg, and over 1 bpg. I will congratulate Augustin, however, on holding Derrick to under 42% shooting.
    Last edited by KGMN; 08-05-2011 at 10:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by KGMN
    Those stats are for Derrick Rose's entire career... they're just slightly below his full career averages.

In the 2010-11 season, Rose averaged 22 ppg, 7.5 apg, 3.5 rpg, 1 spg, and over 1 bpg. I will congratulate Augustin, however, on holding Derrick to under 42% shooting.
    aside from one game, Rose SUCKED against him.

Quote Originally Posted by knickswin
    I don't think there are any point guards who are Gary Payton type defenders who will shut their man down. For the most part point guards just take turn raping each other, but some of them have a good defensive impact.

1.) Chris Paul--gets on-ball steals but can also play the passing lanes, plays good help D, vocal leader on that end of the court, pesky and provides a lot of ball pressure, I think he has a solid case for being the best defensive point guard

2.) Jason Kidd--not much of a point guard defender, but is a big, strong point guard who is fundamentally sound and has quick hands so can legitimately guards 2s and 3s. He made Kevin Durant's and Dwyane Wade's lives miserable during fourth quarters.

3.) Rajon Rondo--I always though his D was a bit overrated. He gets steals by playing the passing lanes, although his freakish wingspan allows him to do it without gambling as much as others. He definitely commits on that end and makes life a bit more difficult for the opposing guard.

Very good list! I feel Paul and Rondo are those Mo Cheeks style defenders. At that 6'0 to 6'1 size, very few PG's were as great as Cheeks defense wise. But Paul mixes in Isiah type ability of offense making him in my book the best PG in the L along with D Will. For u Rose fans out there, Rose is the premier scoring PG in the L. But Paul and D Will can come very close or maybe even match Rose's scoring output. But they are also the premier floor generals in the L on top of it. Rondo I feel is the new age version of Mo Cheeks. Both are premier on D and floor general droppin dimes shit. But Cheeks and Rondo can't takeover a game and become Batman when needed like Paul or D Will can.

U bring up an excellent point about J Kidd. In his prime he could check PG, SG, and some SF's cause he was 6'4 and 210-215. As he slowed down quickness wise, it just altered his ability to guard quick PG's noticeably. He could still defend SG's and SF's great. I'm so glad Kidd won a ring and was a key piece to winning a ring. He wasn't just along for the ride. If Dallas didn't have Kidd this year, there would be no ring for Dallas.

Quote Originally Posted by knickswin
    it's kind of true though. Steals and blocks don't tell you everything, otherwise we could say Amare and Javale McGee are good defenders. The other statistics can be circumstantial--who's he playing with at the time, who's the other team playing with at the time, are two players being asked to defend the same type of players?--stuff like that. Also some players don't really "bring it" on defense every night, but that doesn't mean they're who you want defending you during the playoffs. The eye test is best for determining who's a good defender.
    Very true. Some guys are awesome defenders and don't go for steals or blocks. They focus on keeping a man in front of them and getting a hand in their face. Steals and blocks are gambles. You could foul a guy trying to do it. Or u can fall for an upfake and get burned off the dribble or on a pivot. So some guys naturally play it more safe and don't gamble as much. A guy like Paul gets great steal numbers AND is a great defender. Other guys might get great steal numbers, but aren't great man on man defenders. I feel every great defender HAS to be a great man on man defender in addition to team defense of passing lane defense. But if I had to pick one for a guy to be great at, it would be man on man. Even if he isn't as good team defense or passing lane wise.

Banned

It was Rondo easily in 2010 but he and his defense regressed big time in 2011. I'll probably go with Chris Paul, he gets underrated defensively these days.

Made that high school varsity squad JaskoX1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FourthTenor
    BaRon Davis
    if, and when he tries. id also say the same about Rose or Andre Miller.