Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast
    I rule the local playground

Default Why Does Women's Basketball Still Exist?

I don't understand it. From a business perspective, it's been an absolute disaster

Why do intelligent business people continue to pour money into something that has clearly no audience that cares?

Default Re: Why Does Women's Basketball Still Exist?

What a sad, pathetic child you are.

Quote Originally Posted by brahmabull117
    I don't understand it. From a business perspective, it's been an absolute disaster

Why do intelligent business people continue to pour money into something that has clearly no audience that cares?
    I disagree completely, plus, I like watching.

Certified ISHiot.

Women never should've been allowed to play basketball. Just kidding. Kind of.

Quote Originally Posted by SpecialQue
    What a sad, pathetic child you are.

What did I say that's so bad? Look up the profits of the WNBA, it's been a financial disaster since it started

Not to mention women's basketball is incredibly incredibly boring. It's like watching high school kids play in slow motion

I gladly pay money to go see a Minnesota Lynx game. Speak for yourself.

~*~*~*REIGNING CHAMPS ~*~*~*~*

Quote Originally Posted by stallionaire
    I gladly pay money to go see a Minnesota Lynx game. Speak for yourself.

~*~*~*REIGNING CHAMPS ~*~*~*~*
    From an article I read

But most WNBA teams — even the Lynx — still have trouble attracting fans like Sylte. Ticket giveaways are common, and average league attendance this year was below 8,000. Still, there are a few positive signs. The WNBA is reporting its best TV ratings in six years, and it just signed a reported eight-figure sponsorship deal with Boost Mobile. The cellphone carrier's logo appears on most WNBA uniforms — something rare outside NASCAR.

Lynx Chief Operating Officer Conrad Smith says this shows the league may be turning a corner. And while the team doesn't make its finances public, he says the Lynx could turn a profit this year for the first time in nearly a decade.

"The first couple of years we were profitable, but then we got away from it," Smith says. "But this year — and obviously the playoffs and how that all shakes out — we'll know at the very end how we did, which is great news for the league and our ownership group."

But if it takes a trip to the finals to turn a profit, how has the league survived for 15 seasons? The reason, says Smith College economist Andrew Zimbalist, is that NBA franchises continue to subsidize their co-owned women's teams. And that's something that may not last.

How is a business allowed to continue to exist when it hasn't made a profit in a decade? the XFL didn't make a profit for a year or so and was instantly disbanded. WTF?

If we're having a serious discussion on this, here's what I've noticed from the Sparks games I've seen.

The game's slower.
    There aren't any flashy plays. Practically ZERO dunks.
    No players so far have succeeded in forcing people to pay attention to them. There aren't any outspoken media figures in the WNBA such as Barkley, Jordan, etc.
    Zero production values in televised games. Nothing in a TV broadcast makes a WNBA game seem like anything bigger than a random college match.
    Promotion on the part of the NBA is slight, even though they'll throw out the random ad and show some games during the WNBA season.

The game's slower.
    There aren't any flashy plays. Practically ZERO dunks.
    No players so far have succeeded in forcing people to pay attention to them. There aren't any outspoken media figures in the WNBA such as Barkley, Jordan, etc.

I don't understand, are you trying to convince me to not watch the games? Because there are all reasons that the WNBA is extremely boring

Certified ISHiot.

Practically ZERO dunks.
    Word? I figured they were probably throwing down all the time.

WNBA > College Basketball

Yes, I rather watch women basketball than watch a bunch of losers chuck 3's all game long.

as soon as a good looking chick starts dunking and people there may be a small following. That may take another 20 years but I think it could happen.

Probably that's why Dennis Rodman wants to make topless basketball league with hot chicks.

Quote Originally Posted by IGOTGAME
    as soon as a good looking chick starts dunking and people there may be a small following. That may take another 20 years but I think it could happen.

Puke.

Certified ISHiot.

Quote Originally Posted by IGOTGAME
    Candace Parker?