Default Re: Show Me Wilt Do This

Don't really see the need to bring Wilt into this.

Shaq was probably the greatest offensive center ever though.

Quote Originally Posted by DatAsh
    Shaq was probably the greatest offensive center ever though.
    PPG
    Shaq's best season: 29.7
    Wilt career average: 30.1

APG Best Season
    Shaq: 3.8
    Wilt: 8.6

Best FG%:
    Shaq: 60.9%
    Wilt: 72.7%

Times lead the league in scoring:
    Shaq: 2
    Wilt: 7

Great move, looks fatiguing and wasteful though and a move that puts Shaq at high risk of traveling calls and offensively charges (lucky him they didn't like to call traveling or charges in his era). Wilt would have jogged to his spot posted up, shot a fadeaway and used the energy he saved on offense to sprint back on D. Expend 1/3rd the energy and be a lot less likely to get called for a charge and get himself in foul trouble, thus keeping himself in the game to grab the 10 or so more rebounds and block the 3 or 4 more shots than Shaq is capable of doing.

Wilt owns the record book doing much simpler moves. That's what greatness is all about. The players that make the game look simple. That's why Tim Duncan is so great.

/thread

National High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by Marchesk
    PPG

APG Best Season

Best FG%:

Only how many times leading the league in scoring is really relevant here

Quote Originally Posted by Kvnzhangyay
    Only how many times leading the league in scoring is really relevant here
    Not sure why apg and FG% aren't relevant. There wasn't much difference in assist totals from then and now, as the rules for what counts as an assist have been relaxed. And that era had a lower FG% since it was higher paced and less emphasis was placed on efficiency.

But if you're concerned with Wilt's 72.7% coming off too low a point total, then take his 68.3% on 24 ppg. And then add 7.8 apg.

I watched all the clips and saw Shaq fouled out of that game. Something else I couldn't show you Wilt do.

Quote Originally Posted by CavaliersFTW
    I watched all the clips and saw Shaq fouled out of that game. Something else I couldn't show you Wilt do.
    Of course you never foul out of a game when all you care about is your stats.

Inb4 video of Wilt`s handshake

Wilt owns the record book doing much simpler moves. That's what greatness is all about. The players that make the game look simple. That's why Tim Duncan is so great.

/thread
    Good post but I want to add an important nuance to this point as a post game fanatic.

Wilt and Duncan's moves are much more difficult and complex than given credit for. Not anyone can just go to the park and master them in 5 minutes.

You don't see many 7 footers shooting long fadeaways off the glass, or gracefully laying in a finger roll from the foul line...

As for Duncan, his post arsenal is incredibly sophisticated and deserves to be studied in more detail. I've always been struck by the contradiction between the supposedly "simple, fundamental" nature of Duncan's post moves, and the fact that he's the only one doing them in the league, especially nowadays. For example one of his moves starts with a between-the-legs dribble. In fact his snake-like playing style down low is as subtle and idiosyncratic as can be. It's not just the patented jab-step-to-bank-shot, the running hook, the rip-through, the drop step, the shimmy-to-hook or the quick spins. It's also the dynamic use of the dribble, the changes in pace, the great variety of one handed shots, and especially the many clever ways he uses his upper body (shoulder, elbows, torso...) to shield himself from his defender. This video is a good start, but only a start, for understanding how he operates: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QURRXrYQ9yI (I will admit the first 2:30 minutes is a lot of boring bank shots ).

If you're long, agile for your size, but not strong enough to overpower everyone, Duncan is a great player to emulate in the post.

Very good NBA starter

he couldnt win more than 2 rings tho

Quote Originally Posted by Marchesk
    PPG

APG Best Season

Best FG%:

Number of years played in the '06's/'70's:
    Shaq: 0
    Wilt: Entire Career

Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

I cant show you Wilt scoring 40. Doesn't mean he cant. He did so hundreds of times. It means only 1% of his career is on tape that survived 50 years.

Ive seen Wilt run the floor and throw midair behind the back passes....ive not see Shaq do it. I suspect he could...but ive not seen it. Not in the way Wilt did it. Ive also never seen Shaq hit 4 20+ foot hooks in a row.

But not seeing something isn't proof it doesn't exist.

Its only proof ive not seen it.

I don't have trouble with the idea that someone a lot more mobile than Shaq could do a hesitation spin move if called on to do so after a generation of loose ball handling rules let the players of his time do things that would be called a carry for 50 years of the games history.

There is proof of Wilt doing a lot more things Shaq is never going to be able to do than the other way around. You see Shaq long jumping 22 feet? Playing all but 6 minutes of a season at a pace that only a few 80s teams approached? Playing 47 minutes a game at age 36 over 17 playoff games?

I cant see Shaq making it up and down the court that many times without asking out even at age 20.

Much less at 36 playing in shoes his trainer would be terrified to see him in, drinking 7up and water instead of Gatorade, in an arena with no AC, after flying coach or riding a standard sized bus for 5 hours at 7'1''.

Wilt was a marvel in a lot of ways. Ways I find more impressive than a nice spin move.

I don't care if you think Shaq is better than Wilt. It doesn't much matter to me either way.

Im just saying....I don't know how someone 7'1'' 300+ plays 47 minutes a game at 36 when 20 year olds with better conditions are gassed playing stretches of 8 at a lower pace while being no more active.

His stamina to me is one of the most impressive things in NBA history.
    Last edited by Kblaze8855; 08-14-2014 at 07:25 AM.

HomieWeMajor
    Fan in the Stands (unregistered)

HomieWeMajor
    Fan in the Stands (unregistered)

Here's an accurate portrayal of how Wilt compared to his 'competition'
    http://youtu.be/yuxQhcA2Vr0?t=57s