Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: Does Shawn Marion get underlooked by the casual NBA watchers?

Quote Originally Posted by HylianNightmare
    Of course he does. Casual man fans don't know anyone but kobe and bron
    It took until page 2 to get the right answer.

Golden State Aster*sks

He is this generation's Scottie Pippen

Quote Originally Posted by bizil
    Great post! I think Baron and Franchise were forerunners athletically to guys like Rose and Westbrook. All are around 6'3 and 190-200 pounds. I think Baron was a better floor general though than those guys and a better shooter as well. Injuries for sure stopped Baron and Franchise from potential HOF shit. I think Manu skill for skill is indeed one of the best SG's ever. He could to it all on both sides and could play or defend PG, SG, and SF. His main issue was health, but he's a lock to make the HOF.

I also think Brand fell victim hard to the injuries. I think he was potential HOF status if it wasn't for injuries too. He had a tremendous inside-outside game and was a beast on the block despite being somewhat undersized. For his career,he's still right around 17,000 points and 9,000 boards despite the injuries!
    Brand definitely did. He probably won't make the Hall but he was well on his way before he destroyed his knee. He's one of the most solid, consistent performers and was never really appreciated for that (mainly because only on one good team during his prime).

Baron Davis was always kind of his own worst enemy. He'd take too many dumb shots or just completely ignore fundamental things but there were times when he'd put it all together and look amazing. The problem was he never quite did that enough.

Steve Francis is a player I always feel gets a short shift. He was never going to be a pure point guard and suffers from it in people's perception of him. It didn't help that he wasn't able to stay healthy for people to finally come around to him. His second season though is a lot more spectacular than anyone realizes. 20/7/6.5 on 45/40 shooting and getting that Rockets team to 45 wins. Both Baron and Francis could've been better players with more outside the box thinking coaches.

Yeah, Manu's one of the five or ten best shooting guards of all-time but isn't quite appreciated because of things like "starts" and his minutes played being low. He's one of the most accomplishment basketball players ever though.

Kirilenko's another player from that draft that people don't talk about enough mainly because he got buried on a Jazz team that didn't know how to utilize him after they got more talent. It's just weird because there wasn't a more unique and effective player in the league between '03 and '06.

Also I think Artest (aka Metta World Peace aka The Panda's Friend) needs mention because he definitely belongs with these guys. Before he went off the rails during/after the brawl he was probably the most intimidating defender I'd ever seen. It seems like he was finally putting it all together in '05 and then we all know what happened.

And Lamar Odom is a player that's going to get overlooked as the player who road Kobe and Pau's coattails to two titles but a lot like Horace Grant in the Bulls first threepeat (and Kukoc in the second) his ability to hold everything together on offense and being perfect for the triangle is a large reason why those Lakers teams were so good.

But back to Marion, he's definitely a Hall of Famer to me although I think it's going to take forever for him to get in (if he ever does) because he did a lot of things that even insiders overlooked or didn't appreciate fully. He couldn't really create his own shot (except when he'd randomly pull out his floater) but just an incredibly versatile defender and filled in everywhere his teams needed to make everything work so much better. That Nash/Stoudemire/Marion trio is never going to fully be appreciated and Marion in particular is going to end up as the Bobby Dandridge/Bobby Jones of his generation.

Great college starter

Def overlooked. But he was not the hest perimeter defender of his era. Bowen and Artest were better.