Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    NBA rookie of the year It's A VC3!!!'s Avatar

Default Re: Rajon Rondo,Deron Williams or Chris Paul?

Quote Originally Posted by plUto or bUst
    While it is true playing on the Nets has hurt Deron reputation-wise, I still think he's been vastly overrated in the first place. He is a great scorer and a good passer, but I've never seen a so called top point guard with so few intangibles. He doesn't play much defense, doesn't hustle, is a relatively poor rebounder for his size at his position. He's not much of a leader, and a primadonna to boot.

Put prime J-Kidd on the Nets and they make the playoffs. Hell, put Rondo on there and I think they'll make a run for the 8th spot.
    Learn to use words correctly. Saying that he's vastly overrated is downright stupid and you should be humiliated by saying that. You can say that he's overrated, which is stupid too but to say vastly is a terrible choice of words. And rebounding is not an attribute that many point guards in NBA history posses and to hold it against Dwill is another stupid mistake.

I hit open 5-foot jumpshots with ease plUto or bUst's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by It's A VC3!!!
    Learn to use words correctly. Saying that he's vastly overrated is downright stupid and you should be humiliated by saying that. You can say that he's overrated, which is stupid too but to say vastly is a terrible choice of words. And rebounding is not an attribute that many point guards in NBA history posses and to hold it against Dwill is another stupid mistake.
    It's just a matter of semantics. For me, Deron Williams is vastly overrated because he's been in the discussion as a top point guard when he is a top 5 point guard at best. (I think he is a special talent offensively, probably second after Paul, but when you factor in other facets of the game he is nothing special.)

I wouldn't hold the rebounding against him if he was a midget like Chris Paul, but Deron Williams is 6-3 210 pounds with above average athleticism, and Paul still out-rebounds him by a wide margin. To me, that speaks to a lack of hustle (or maybe anticipation?)

Please clap. Real Men Wear Green's Avatar

It's just a matter of semantics. For me, Deron Williams is vastly overrated because he's been in the discussion as a top point guard when he is a top 5 point guard at best. (I think he is a special talent offensively, probably second after Paul, but when you factor in other facets of the game he is nothing special.)

I wouldn't hold the rebounding against him if he was a midget like Chris Paul, but Deron Williams is 6-3 210 pounds with above average athleticism, and Paul still out-rebounds him by a wide margin. To me, that speaks to a lack of hustle (or maybe anticipation?)
    PGs are normally coached to get back on D instead of going after O-boards and are the shortest guys on their team when it comes to defensive boards. Is it really a big deal that Williams only averages 3?

Quote Originally Posted by Real Men Wear Green
    PGs are normally coached to get back on D instead of going after O-boards and are the shortest guys on their team when it comes to defensive boards. Is it really a big deal that Williams only averages 3?
    It's not like I'm comparing Williams to Tim Duncan in terms of rebounding. I"m just comparing him against other top PG's in the league, and he doesn't compare favorably at all.

I wouldn't hold the rebounding against him if he consistently played good defense. The problem is Williams is also a pretty mediocre defender.

NBA rookie of the year It's A VC3!!!'s Avatar

It's not like I'm comparing Williams to Tim Duncan in terms of rebounding. I"m just comparing him against other top PG's in the league, and he doesn't compare favorably at all.

I wouldn't hold the rebounding against him if he consistently played good defense. The problem is Williams is also a pretty mediocre defender.
    you shouldn't look at a pg and say "he sucks because he cannot rebound". what kidd and rondo do is a rare attribute that only very few have EVER possessed in nba history. and his defense is sub-par but you lost the rebounding argument and are latching on to the defense argument now.

you shouldn't look at a pg and say "he sucks because he cannot rebound". what kidd and rondo do is a rare attribute that only very few have EVER possessed in nba history. and his defense is sub-par but you lost the rebounding argument and are latching on to the defense argument now.
    How did I lose the rebounding argument? I've only said Deron Williams is a poor rebounder relative to other top PGs. My comment about defense was in response to Real Men's argument that PGs are supposed to go back and play D instead of rebound, which is fine except Williams doesn't play defense. If he's not crashing the boards and not playing D, then what is he doing (in terms of intangibles).

I rule the local playground returnofthemack's Avatar

the only thing that makes me hesitate in taking rondo over cp3 is the fact that rondo has played with KG, pierce and ray allen for most of his career. how well would the clips have done if you changed cp3 with rondo? how about the celts with cp3?

if my team didnt have kyrie irving i would take chris paul over rondo. as it is im happy with irving

NBA lottery pick Lakers_Kobe_Fan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by StateOfMind12
    Chris Paul
    Russell Westbrook
    Deron Williams
    Tony Parker
    Rajon Rondo

Derrick Rose would be #1 or #2 if he were healthy though or at least as healthy as CP3.

Rondo has been very good in the playoffs especially in the ECF so far but he is a very inconsistent player and he also has some attitude problems. I'm not going to throw away everything these PGs have done for the first 60-70 games and put Rondo ahead of them just because Rondo has been playing great and the best the most recent.

Rondo and Parker are close but I would give a slight edge to Parker due to his superior shooting and finishing ability.
    Deron Williams should be the last in that list. He hadnt played any meaningful game in 2 years

real character is shown when you play games that matter

Cp3

Dunking on everybody in the park CardiacKemba's Avatar

I cannot really blame people for choosing any of those PG's over Dwill. They rarely watched him at all this season, the Nets suck, and all the other PG's went to to playoffs and got TNT and ESPN coverage. Top anaylsts gave a great description of our leagues top PG'S because each of these point guards play a different style of basketball. I'll repeat it.

If you have a team with superstars and you need a guy to facilitate your team and get them downright EASY buckets, you go with Rajon Rondo

If you want a savvy fierce competitor to mentor your team while having the capability to run a team and take over a game, you go with CP3

If you want somebody to give you 20 and 10, which Dwill is likely to do over any of the other two pg's, and hurt you in a series of ways via pick and roll, 3 point shooting, driving to the basket, or posting up, you go with Dwill.

Each of these point guards play differently and I HATE when people compare them and start drawing up lists with no real argument.
    Smartest thing said on this board. Truth.

I still have Deron Williams over Rondo.

Rondo. I just feel like he gets better every year. With CP3 and D-Will, I think they have already reached as good as they will get. Rondo has been SHOOTING the ball a lot in these playoffs, not just driving. If he can get that jump shot down consistent, he is easily the best point guard in the league and a big favorite for 2013 MVP.

I am your soldier!

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsmoke
    I still have Deron Williams over Rondo.
    Yeah he's great if you want to alienate your hall of fame coach.

Good High School Starter Celtic_Pride's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jbryan1984
    If he can get that jump shot down consistent, he is easily the best point guard in the league and a big favorite for 2013 MVP.
    No

He really doesn't seem to care much about the regular season. No way he will be in the contention for MVP if he shows up for occasional primetime ABC games

But playoffs Rondo is a beast and is arguably the best PG!

Rondo is amazing. Makes me wanna cry