Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Who is the most respected player among players (as a person)?

Quote Originally Posted by elementally morale
    I'm putting up some names. Do you think they are well respected as personalities?

Steve Nash
    Shane Battier
    Derek Fisher
    Pau Gasol
    Joakim Noah
    Ray Allen
    Grant Hill

Just 7 names off the top of my head to start with.
    I don't know about Gasol and Noah but the rest of the guys are classy veterans who should be respected if they are not already.

Local High School Star Solid Snake's Avatar

Current: Grant Hill

All time: Mutumbo.

I hit open 5-foot jumpshots with ease MochaUdoka's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Solid Snake

Good answer ...I didn't even think of Hill. The first names that came to my mind were Derek Fisher, Nash, Ray Allen, and Duncan (in that order).

If we wanna talk about past players I think David Robinson deserves a mention as well.

To find a list of classy players (past and present) just look up the winners of the NBA's sportsmanship award

Edit: Nvm I looked it up myself because I was curious lol

Year by Year Sportsmanship award winners:

1995–96 Joe Dumars
    1996–97 Terrell Brandon
    1997–98 Avery Johnson
    1998–99 Hersey Hawkins
    1999–00 Eric Snow
    2000–01 David Robinson
    2001–02 Steve Smith
    2002–03 Ray Allen
    2003–04 P. J. Brown
    2004–05 Grant Hill
    2005–06 Elton Brand
    2006–07 Luol Deng
    2007–08 Grant Hill
    2008–09 Chauncey Billups
    2009–10 Grant Hill
    2010–11 Stephen Curry
    Last edited by MochaUdoka; 12-24-2011 at 11:49 PM.

Very good NBA starter elementally morale's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by upside24
    I don't know about Gasol and Noah but the rest of the guys are classy veterans who should be respected if they are not already.
    It is one thing if you think someone SHOULD be respected, and it is another thing whether you THINK someone IS respected.

For example, I think Pau Gasol should be respected as a person but he isn't. At least I think he is not getting proper respect for the kind of person he really is.

Banned

Delonte West

Quote Originally Posted by MochaUdoka
    If we wanna talk about past players I think David Robinson deserves a mention as well.
    Nice catch. In retrospect, we respect him. Maybe, even some modern era players respect him. But was he respected by his peers in his time?

How about Dennis Rodman? Do you respect him? Do you thing today's players respect him? Do you think his peers respected him? Do you think they should have? How about Joe Dumars?

Banned

Nice catch. In retrospect, we respect him. Maybe, even some modern era players respect him. But was he respected by his peers in his time?

How about Dennis Rodman? Do you respect him? Do you thing today's players respect him? Do you think his peers respected him? Do you think they should have?
    I'm pretty sure Rodman received very little respect among his peers.

Quote Originally Posted by brisbaneman
    I'm pretty sure Rodman received very little respect among his peers.
    I think you are right. And actually, Rodman was always a good guy. Still, someone like Bird was respected, and I honestly think he is not a good guy. No, I don't know him personally, it's just a gut feeling.

Banned

I think you are right. And actually, Rodman was always a good guy. Still, someone like Bird was respected, and I honestly think he is not a good guy. No, I don't know him personally, it's just a gut feeling.
    Whys that? Yeah I think if you saw Rodman's HOF speech you could tell he regretted many of his decisions and displayed significant introspection. But whats wrong with Bird?

When I think of people who are probably legitimately shitty persons I think of Jordan, Kobe, and lebron, amongst others.

I hit open 5-foot jumpshots with ease MochaUdoka's Avatar

How about Dennis Rodman? Do you respect him? Do you thing today's players respect him? Do you think his peers respected him? Do you think they should have? How about Joe Dumars?
    I can't speak for his fellow players, but I know that I (as a fan) have always respected David Robinson as a player and a person. He was a class act all the way. I feel his basketball skills should have been enough to garner the respect he deserved from his peers, but respect runs much deeper than that. Some players may have a mentality similar to mine, however others may not respect a player like Robinson. (a player with a mean streak will always try to walk all over a nice guy like David).

I respect Rodman for being unique and being himself (I can only assume that's what he was doing), and of course for his skills. I don't agree with some of the antics he pulled, but I respect anyone who is true to themself, and I feel Rodman fits that criteria.

KOBE! On the court he's the GOAT. Off court he lives the American Dream!!!

Quote Originally Posted by brisbaneman
    Whys that? Yeah I think if you saw Rodman's HOF speech you could tell he regretted many of his decisions and displayed significant introspection. But whats wrong with Bird?

When I think of people who are probably legitimately shitty persons I think of Jordan, Kobe, and lebron, amongst others.
    Rodman was always a good guy. He committed some mistakes, yes. We all do. But he was a very generous and giving character and also an honest chap. I'm not getting into MJ and Kobe here, it is going to hijack the thread. As for Bird, I'm sure I would never want to be close to him as a co-worker or potential friend. There is something in his character I severely dislike -- unfortunately these very same attributes are the ones that make very talented players into legends and goat candidates.

I think Rodman is well respected as a player but as a person not so much. His off court antics have tarnished many peoples opinions of him.

Quote Originally Posted by upside24
    I think Rodman is well respected as a player but as a person not so much. His off court antics have tarnished many peoples opinions of him.
    Rodman is someone who (I think) was not but should have been respected.

The question of this thread basically boils down to this: Do NBA players make good decisions when it comes to determining 'values'? Are those values important at all? One can say, these attributes are rather unimportant, as these players are there to win games and entertain us in the process. However, they all hang up their sneakers sooner or later and have to carry on with their lives. So what are the 'remains of the day'?

Brian Grant, anyone?

WE MISS U CHALMERS :( JerrySteakhouse's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Solid Snake

Uncle Tom!!!