Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: Julius Erving Larry Bird H2H game by game stats

Dr J is underrated in ish.

I would love to see prime Erving vs Jordan.

Good High School Starter

Quote Originally Posted by Round Mound
    Dont watch ESPN. and i did not make up the stats. (i gott them from basketballreference)

Dr J was a Great Defender, One of the Best Among SFs, expcially dudes that where 6`6 1/2 like him

Great Shot Blocker
    indeed, Dr. J was a great shot blocker, though he was not famous for great defense, he was famous for doing all @ ABA

and Lebron is kinda Doc 2.0 version, he can do all too... except for posting up

Bump for further discussion.

I brick nerf balls La Frescobaldi's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by D-Wade316
    Bump for further discussion.
    The rumor is when Bird showed up, he turned around a team that was trash as far as chemistry.... but there was a lot more to it than that. Red Auerbach was GM and knew what he was doing.

To me, Havlicek was the last of the Titans, the last of the old so-called Golden Era of hoops. What I call the second era of the NBA (there was probly some other guys that stayed on but they were relics like Big Chief winning a ring as a Bull with 1 ppg 2 rpg on 9mpg) which imo ran about 1960-1974.

Hondo left in '78... well the Celtics still had a deceptively strong potential but 'the guy' was gone. Then JoJo left for the Warriors & the Celtics that had won two rings in the most balanced NBA decade was broken up... but Auerbach had his eye on the ball and built that powerhouse Celtics squad of the 80s. He was magical in his ability to keep the wheels turning in Boston.

Just to be clear, I gotta have Larry Bird on my all-time team. But I think there's more myth than fact that Legend turned that team around by himself. That's similar to 'Jordan won his rings by himself with Pippen' which is total crap.

Dr. J on the other hand, saved the ABA - the whole league - from destruction. No doubt in my mind on that. You could go see an ABA game just about anywhere anytime, just walk up to the door and buy tickets. None of the teams were selling out. Except when the Doctor was In.

When he left Virginia for the Nets.... the Squires plummeted, and the Nets went on to trash the league. Everybody's seen Doc in the NBA highlights, but his glory days in the ABA were spectacular. I saw maybe half a dozen or so of his games with the Squires and he really did have unearthly skill.

But J started with the ABA in 72 and it was long time before he went up against Bird. On those ABA teams, 8 years was a real long time.

There's a lot of myth around Erving too though. It's flat wrong to say Dr. J invented everything as far as cool moves and spectacular dunks. The guy who brought that stuff out as far as I ever knew was Connie Hawkins. I've never seen a move on a basketball court that Connie didn't do in the 60s & early 70s.

But if you listen to the older NBA guys, they will say Elgin Baylor was doing all that in the early 60s before his knee blew out. The saying 'hang time' was invented for Baylor. And for guys who say some new PG is doing stuff nobody ever did before....... just watch highlights of Mr. Basketball.

But Bird-Erving oh yeah that was like Kareem vs.Chamberlain or Kobe against tired old man Jordan... the new gun against the last of the Titans

Quote Originally Posted by La Frescobaldi
    The rumor is when Bird showed up, he turned around a team that was trash as far as chemistry.... but there was a lot more to it than that. Red Auerbach was GM and knew what he was doing.

To me, Havlicek was the last of the Titans, the last of the old so-called Golden Era of hoops. What I call the second era of the NBA (there was probly some other guys that stayed on but they were relics like Big Chief winning a ring as a Bull with 1 ppg 2 rpg on 9mpg) which imo ran about 1960-1974.

Hondo left in '78... well the Celtics still had a deceptively strong potential but 'the guy' was gone. Then JoJo left for the Warriors & the Celtics that had won two rings in the most balanced NBA decade was broken up... but Auerbach had his eye on the ball and built that powerhouse Celtics squad of the 80s. He was magical in his ability to keep the wheels turning in Boston.

Just to be clear, I gotta have Larry Bird on my all-time team. But I think there's more myth than fact that Legend turned that team around by himself. That's similar to 'Jordan won his rings by himself with Pippen' which is total crap.

Dr. J on the other hand, saved the ABA - the whole league - from destruction. No doubt in my mind on that. You could go see an ABA game just about anywhere anytime, just walk up to the door and buy tickets. None of the teams were selling out. Except when the Doctor was In.

When he left Virginia for the Nets.... the Squires plummeted, and the Nets went on to trash the league. Everybody's seen Doc in the NBA highlights, but his glory days in the ABA were spectacular. I saw maybe half a dozen or so of his games with the Squires and he really did have unearthly skill.

But J started with the ABA in 72 and it was long time before he went up against Bird. On those ABA teams, 8 years was a real long time.

There's a lot of myth around Erving too though. It's flat wrong to say Dr. J invented everything as far as cool moves and spectacular dunks. The guy who brought that stuff out as far as I ever knew was Connie Hawkins. I've never seen a move on a basketball court that Connie didn't do in the 60s & early 70s.

But if you listen to the older NBA guys, they will say Elgin Baylor was doing all that in the early 60s before his knee blew out. The saying 'hang time' was invented for Baylor. And for guys who say some new PG is doing stuff nobody ever did before....... just watch highlights of Mr. Basketball.

But Bird-Erving oh yeah that was like Kareem vs.Chamberlain or Kobe against tired old man Jordan... the new gun against the last of the Titans
    Great stuff

3-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by La Frescobaldi

How about Gus Johnson? He was 6-6, and weighed 235 lbs., and reportedly shattered THREE backboards with his thunderous dunks.

And while Dickwad TRIED to disparage Johnson's amazing athleticism, let's recap it shall we...

http://www.cornerclubmoscow.com/joom...&id=1&Itemid=2

When Johnson played at Idaho in 1963, he already had a reputation as a leaper of the highest order. One evening at the Corner Club, a local tavern on Main Street in Moscow, Johnson was requested by owner Herm Goetz to display his rare ability to the patrons. The Corner Club was a very modest establishment, converted from a white-stuccoed small chapel in the 1940s with hardwood floors and a beamed ceiling. From a standing start near the bar, Johnson touched a spot on a beam 11'6" (3.505 m) above the floor. This spot was ceremoniously marked with a nail by Goetz, who then proudly proclaimed that anyone who could duplicate the feat could drink for free. A 40-inch (1.016 m) diameter circle was painted on the floor, and both feet had to start inside the circle to ensure a standing start. A full 23 years went by with many attempts at Gus Johnson's Nail, including Bill Walton in the summer of 1984, but there were no successes.

That was until 1986, when the College of Southern Idaho basketball team from Twin Falls stopped in town in January on their way to a game against NIC in Coeur d'Alene. Joey Johnson, a younger brother of then NBA star Dennis Johnson, was brought into the Corner Club for a try. The 6'3" (1.905 m) guard had a 48" (1.219 m) vertical leap and could put his chin on a basketball rim (10 feet (3.048 m)) with a running start.

Johnson laced up his shoes and touched the nail on his first try but was disqualified because he did not start with both feet inside the 40-inch circle. The next attempt came from a legal static start but was just a bit short. On his third try, Johnson grabbed and bent the legendary nail, a landmark event in Vandal sports history. Goetz pulled the nail out of the beam and pounded it back in, a half inch (13 mm) higher
    Now, it took Joey Johnson all he could do to duplicate that feat, some 20 years after Gus Johnson had accomplished it.

What kind of a leaper was Joey Johnson? Well, Dickwad, who never saw him play, or leap, laughed off the assertion that Joey Johnson could get his chin above the rim...

http://tucsoncitizen.com/wildaboutaz...ough-the-roof/

[QUOTE]Joey Johnson, a former ASU player, was once measured with a 52-inch vertical leap. That measures to 4 feet, 4 inches. The elder Johnson was listed at 6 feet, 3 inches, during his playing days. Add that up: Just by him leaping, the top of his head could go to 10 feet, 7 inches. The standard height of basketball rim is 10 feet.

He dunked a basketball in 1993 on a rim hoisted 11 feet, 7 inches, which was a world record until Harlem Globetrotters Michael