Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Decent college freshman bruceblitz's Avatar

Default Re: **Better Pure Shooter: Ray Allen, Mitch Richmond, or Glen Rice**

That's easy for me, and I choose:

Glen Rice for instance, shot 47% from 3's for an entire season! (that's not fg that's 3pt%) in the toughest era in NBA history Glen Rice in that same year averaged 27ppg and played in 79 games. Glen Rice averaged 27ppg while making 47% of his 5.6 3's attempted per game. Glen Rice also won the 3 point shootout in 1995.

Question, why is Dale Ellis never brought up in discussions like this? Dale Ellis was not only a deadly in game 3 point shooter but he did serve notice to the NBA that he was the man, as far as 3 point shooting was concerned, when he came in and won the 3 point shoot out in 1989, beating out players like Reggie Miller and Craig Hodges in the 89 shootout. I personally think it has a lot to do with the lack of national coverage of all the teams in that era. ESPN has come a long way compared to Dale Ellis's prime.

There is a flaw to Ray Allen's shooting form, he pushes the ball with his left thumb. The left hand, with a right hand shooter, is intended to be a guide for the ball, but he actually pushes it slightly with the left thumb. Picky, I know, but it's hard not to notice. Of course other players had flawed form but were just as effective as players with perfect form, see: Reggie Miller.
    Watch Ray's left thumb:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPWtdEDUS80

Mitch Richmond was also a great shooter, but personally I think the cream of the crop when it comes to pure shooting were Dale Ellis and Glen Rice. Just my take on it.
    Last edited by bruceblitz; 04-12-2009 at 02:37 PM.

[QUOTE=magi

my man ray allen.

Glen Rice is better. Glen can shoot lights out plus he had a post game which Ray never have.

Saw a basketball once

Ill take jesus

And since its kewl to say nowandays, "He played in the toughest era".

Quote Originally Posted by thefalling
    Ill take jesus

And since its kewl to say nowandays, "He played in the toughest era".
    Me too...

Ah yes, Ray Allen had Dale Ellis in his fave 5 shooters of all time. Gotta love it.

Best pure shooter of the three is Ray Allen. Best all-around player is Mitch Richmond.

I usually hit open layups

Quote Originally Posted by Younggrease
    they may not be better shooters but there have been tons of shooters with quicker releases then Ray. One plays on his team right now by the name of Eddie House... I would also say Reggie Miller's jumper was a good deal quicker as well. Peja's is also just as quick

Nope...someone has to have clocked them before from waist till out of fingertips...but having watched them play for years, I dont even think its close...

Quote Originally Posted by redhonda76
    Glen Rice is better. Glen can shoot lights out plus he had a post game which Ray never have.
    And ray was 10x better at getting to the hoop then Rice was...

Quote Originally Posted by restoman45
    And ray was 10x better at getting to the hoop then Rice was...
    The younger Rice in the Miami days was just as good getting to the rim. A 6-8 shooting guard/small forward can shoot at anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by redhonda76
    The younger Rice in the Miami days was just as good getting to the rim. A 6-8 shooting guard/small forward can shoot at anyone.

Having watched both play during their primes, I disagree. Ray allen isn't 5'0"...he is 6'5"...so its not like a yao vs mugsey comparison here...
    I will give the post play to Rice, but the attack the rim goes to Allen...

Quote Originally Posted by Younggrease
    I have always found Ray's jumper to be slightly overrated...Its great but it wasnt better then a host of other great shooters...
    coming from Bryant stan....
    Ray Allen got the most smoothest jumper in NBA history....

Local High School Star Bush4Ever's Avatar

Growing up, I admired Hersey Hawkins's form. Another pure shooter.

Banned

Ray Allen.