Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Default Re: Why do people confuse race with nationality

Quote Originally Posted by MavsSuperFan
    1. Did your culture though? or was it factors such as climate, agriculture, and foundational natural resources.

2. People around you being something impressive, doesnt mean that you are.
    My mom accomplishing something impressive doesn't make me impressive, yet I'm still proud of her.

NBA rookie of the year

Quote Originally Posted by NumberSix
    Sure, if your IQ is that, that you can't comprehend that which isn't directly in front of you.

There's nothing wrong with being proud that your culture created the environment that made such accomplishments possible.

There's a reason why westerners invent everything and communists and middle easterners invent nothing.
    The chinese have numerous inventions. Paper, printing press, the compass, gun powder, paper currency, cast iron, belt hooks, crossbows, ephedrine, field mills, stirrups, fishing reels, horse harness, kites, matches, etc
    the arab world before being decimated by islam was scientifically superior to europe.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fl1nJC3lvFs
    The Intellectual Collapse of Islam

Summary of the video
    -Arabs named the stars, because they had advanced astronomy and telescopes.
    -the middle east fell back because of islam

NBA rookie of the year

My mom accomplishing something impressive doesn't make me impressive, yet I'm still proud of her.
    Alright, as long as you are distinguishing between pride as in admiration and pride as in you have accomplished something, we agree. You shouldnt feel the pride that accompanies accomplishment, because of the success of others is my point.

The chinese have numerous inventions. Paper, printing press, the compass, gun powder, paper currency, cast iron, belt hooks, crossbows, ephedrine, field mills, stirrups, fishing reels, horse harness, kites, matches, etc
    the arab world before being decimated by islam was scientifically superior to europe.

Summary of the video
    Ok, you're taking things too literally. Did you honestly think I literally believe westerns invented everything ever? Come now. Use your head.

I'm not even going to touch that ridiculous assertion of the pre Islamic Arab world being scientifically superior to Europe. I mean Jesus Christ dude. Read a history book at some point in your life.

NBA rookie of the year

Ok, you're taking things too literally. Did you honestly think I literally believe westerns invented everything ever? Come now. Use your head.

I'm not even going to touch that ridiculous assertion of the pre Islamic Arab world being scientifically superior to Europe. I mean Jesus Christ dude. Read a history book at some point in your life.
    To middle ages europe definitely, and i didnt mean pre islamic, i meant before Imam Al Ghazali become prominent

hard to identify sarcasm without vocal intonations, also yes I did think based on reading some of your posts you believed that.
    Last edited by MavsSuperFan; 09-23-2014 at 08:52 PM.

Summary of the video
    The telescope was invented in EUROPE 1000 AFTER the start of Islam.

Did you even attempt to fact check before posting?

NBA sixth man of the year knickballer's Avatar

Because accomplishments done by people other than yourself, do not reflect on you. Thus its stupid to feel pride in something you did not accomplish

I always see people making this argument but then I find the same people being die hard fans of a certain team and are crazed about them. OMG we are 10x world champs, omg we have the best defense and they wear their team gears around but when it comes to something like taking pride in ethnicity they say it's stupid

NBA rookie of the year

Quote Originally Posted by knickballer
    I always see people making this argument but then I find the same people being die hard fans of a certain team and are crazed about them. OMG we are 10x world champs, omg we have the best defense and they wear their team gears around but when it comes to something like taking pride in ethnicity they say it's stupid
    I would never say we are the world champs. that annoys me too.

To middle ages europe definitely, and i didnt mean pre islamic, i meant before Imam Al Ghazali become prominent

hard to identify sarcasm without vocal intonations, also yes I did think based on reading some of your posts you believed that.
    No you didn't.

No rational person could possibly think "everything" used in that way meant literally everything. Stop playing dumb. It's like somebody saying I've done that a million times and you literally think they are saying they have done that literally exactly one million times. Come on now. Let's not be ridiculous.

NBA rookie of the year

The telescope was invented in EUROPE 1000 AFTER the start of Islam.

Did you even attempt to fact check before posting?
    No of course not, post on ISH off of stuff in my head, i often recall things wrong
    but the arab world was definitely more advanced that europe in the middle ages

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Astrono...medieval_Islam

[QUOTE]Islamic astronomy comprises the astronomical developments made in the Islamic world, particularly during the Islamic Golden Age (8th

No you didn't.

No rational person could possibly think "everything" used in that way meant literally everything. Stop playing dumb. It's like somebody saying I've done that a million times and you literally think they are saying they have done that literally exactly one million times. Come on now. Let's not be ridiculous.
    Ironically, You do this all the time as well....

Arguing for the sake of arguing.

NBA rookie of the year

No you didn't.

I assumed you meant westerners invented everything important/progressed civilization, a view held by a lot of people.

No of course not, post on ISH off of stuff in my head, i often recall things wrong
    but the arab world was definitely more advanced that europe in the middle ages

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Astrono...medieval_Islam

other developments include algebra and algebraic numbers.

I read a lot of stuff, and from time to time recall it wrong, but I stand by that Islam was more advanced than medieval europe, read many books and seen many documentaries to support that.

Algebra had been around many centuries before Islam came along. The WORD algebra is an Arabic word.

Here's a little hint. There was once an Ancient Greek mathematician who has the nickname "the father of algebra".

NBA rookie of the year

Algebra had been around many centuries before Islam came along. The WORD algebra is an Arabic word.

Here's a little hint. There was once an Ancient Greek mathematician who has the nickname "the father of algebra".
    I meant that they made developments within mathematics
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mathema...medieval_Islam
    The study of algebra, which itself is an Arabic word meaning "reunion of broken parts",[5] flourished during the Islamic golden age. Al-Khwarizmi is, along with the Greek mathematician Diophantus, known as the father of algebra.[6] In his book The Compendious Book on Calculation by Completion and Balancing Al-Khwarizmi deals with ways to solve for the positive roots of first and second degree (linear and quadratic) polynomial equations.[7] He also introduces the method of reduction, and unlike Diophantus, gives general solutions for the equations he deals with.[6]

Al-Khwarizmi's algebra was rhetorical, which means that the equations were written out in full sentences. This was unlike the algebraic work of Diophantus, which was syncopated, where some symbolism is used. The transition to symbolic algebra, where only symbols are used, can be seen in the work of Ibn al-Banna' al-Marrakushi and Abū al-Ḥasan ibn ʿAlī al-Qalaṣādī.[8]
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of..._Islamic_world
    A number of inventions were made in the medieval Islamic world, a geopolitical region that has at various times extended from Spain and Africa in the west to Afghanistan and the Indian subcontinent in the east.[1][page needed] The inventions listed here were developed during the medieval Islamic world, which covers a period from the early Caliphate to the later Ottoman, Safavid and Mughal empires.[2] In particular, the majority of inventions here date back to the Islamic Golden Age, which is traditionally dated from the 8th to the 13th centuries.[3][4] During this period, artists, engineers, scholars, poets, philosophers, geographers and traders in the Islamic world contributed to agriculture, the arts, economics, industry, islamic law, literature, navigation, philosophy, sciences, sociology, and technology, both by preserving earlier traditions and by adding inventions and innovations of their own.[5]
    Im not as picky/pedantic with my language as you. You tend to obfuscate larger points, in this case that the islamic world was more advanced than europe during the middle ages. Maybe i got some details wrong, but I stand by the larger point.

Eg. your insistence that britain doesnt not equal great britain and that england and wales alone was referred to as britain. you had me convinced, until a scottish poster countered that point.

I meant that they made developments within mathematics
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mathema...medieval_Islam

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of..._Islamic_world

Im not as picky/pedantic with my language as you. You tend to obfuscate larger points, in this case that the islamic world was more advanced than europe during the middle ages. Maybe i got some details wrong, but I stand by the larger point.

Eg. your insistence that britain doesnt not equal great britain and that england and wales alone was referred to as britain. you had me convinced, until a scottish poster countered that point.
    Keyword. WAS.

Perhaps you should go back and re read that thread. It looks like you ducked at halfway through that conversation.

Now, you say "Europe" as if that's one thing.