Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast

Default Re: If American Football wasn't called "football", would it be more popular...

Quote Originally Posted by Maksimilian
    What does a 100m matter in soccer? The best soccer players concentrate on possession and passing, not un-necessary running (Except the English, but that's why they suck). Why would "who ever is the fastest" determine who are the better athletes?
    Ok, and the best NFL players (especially QB's) memorize dozens of complex play calling. Receivers have to understand route running.

the Sho Kosugi of ISH -p.tiddy-'s Avatar

Default Re: If American Football wasn't called "football", would it be more popular...

What does a 100m matter in soccer? The best soccer players concentrate on possession and passing, not un-necessary running (Except the English, but that's why they suck). Why would "who ever is the fastest" determine who are the better athletes?
    speed is part of athleticism...as well as strength, leaping, coordination, etc

the ONLY facet of athleticism that soccer players have over NFL players is endurance...I'll give them that...but EVERY OTHER FACET goes to the NFL

Quote Originally Posted by -p.tiddy-
    speed is part of athleticism...as well as strength, leaping, coordination, etc

the ONLY facet of athleticism that soccer players have over NFL players is endurance...I'll give them that...but EVERY OTHER FACET goes to the NFL
    I dont know, soccer player might be more agile...but other than that i agree. LJJ is just a comedian in this thread.

Oh yeah, Mitch Kramer? johndeeregreen's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LJJ
    Never knew eugenics was still so in fashion these days.

American Football, a sport that is played in really only one country in the world (where it's just one of many popular sports), a sport that a handful people around the world practice professionally and sport that only about 5% of the world population is exposed to of course still has the absolute elite athletes in the world.

Because they're American, right? And the "American race" is inherently more athletic than the rest of the planet?

Please. That's the most ridiculous thing I ever heard, you guys need a dose of reality.
    You're a fu[color=black]cking[/color] moron, end of discussion. You know nothing about game. Ignore list you go.

It wouldn't determine who the best overall athletes are because the athletes in the two sports possess entirely different skill traits. Soccer takes more endurance than american football, but that's just because NFL players have to sacrifice endurance for explosive speed, mass and strength. I personally prefer soccer over american football anyway, as well as basketball and aussie rules. IQ really has nothing to do with athletics, whatsoever. So speed is definitely a lot more relevant to this conversation than IQ. You claim that the NFL isn't that tough of a league to play in, but you ignore the talent level, size, and athleticism of these super athletes. I'm sure it wouldn't be tough for you to step onto a field where 220-330 lb behemoths run at you at elite speeds.

I've played both football and rugby, and football hits are way worse, it's much more violent when it comes to tackling. It's simply more high impact.

It's not about who has better genes, it's about the pads, the mentality, and situational tackling. Rugby doesn't stop and reset nearly as much as football, you would be stupid to leave your feet to try to crush a player, you would be so out of position, and you would create a hugeee defensive liability for your team. It's not nearly as important to hit your man football-style in rugby. There is a lot more tying up/dragging going on without going to the ground all the time.

Now in other aspects, football, rugby, aussie rules fb, etc. are similar. There is a shitload of cleat stomping, knees, forearms, scrotum grabbing, eye gouging, finger/ankle bending goodness.

I'm a football fan over soccer even though I like both, but if you gave Cristiano Ronaldo a through ball, his speed to that ball would be faster than a good amount of football players.

Oh yeah, Mitch Kramer? johndeeregreen's Avatar

It just blows my mind how butthurt and defensive Euros get the second anyone says "NFL has crazy athletes and is insanely violent." It's like saying that is an immediate challenge to their manhood and they go crazy trying to make it sound like NFL is like Nerf rugby. Get a f*cking clue guys, nobody's saying you don't have to be a great athlete to play soccer/rugby/aussie rules, whatever. This isn't a personal challenge to you. Take a breath and get a grip.

the Sho Kosugi of ISH -p.tiddy-'s Avatar

Cool what are the other facets of athleticism?

And why would NFL players automatically be faster? Is it because African-Americans (And Carabean Africans) dominate running events at the olympics so it means African Americans in the NFL could do it too? Isnt that stereotyping?

By that logic Soccer players should automaticaly be stronger than NFL players because white Europeans dominate the world in weight lifting, Crossfit Judo, and wrestling etc?

Right????
    Weight lifters don't play soccer...they play in the NFL though

and yes I fully believe African Americans are faster on average than any other race on the planet, evidence in shown by the fact that they ARE faster, just watch some sports...Jamaica's gene pool comes from the exact same slave trade, who dominates the Olympics in speed?...Jamaica and the US...all part of that same history

the top 8 fastest speeds of all time are all from Jamaica and the US...which have the same ancestors

Quote Originally Posted by johndeeregreen
    It just blows my mind how butthurt and defensive Euros get the second anyone says "NFL has crazy athletes and is insanely violent." It's like saying that is an immediate challenge to their manhood and they go crazy trying to make it sound like NFL is like Nerf rugby. Get a f*cking clue guys, nobody's saying you don't have to be a great athlete to play soccer/rugby/aussie rules, whatever. This isn't a personal challenge to you. Take a breath and get a grip.
    Exactly. That's the only thing that gets me. They tend to refuse to acknowledge the talent and athleticism of NFL players just because of the padding, and love to compare american football to rugby even though the two sports are quite different. All of the professional athletes from these sports are great athletes in their own right.

The padding HELPS the players be more violent. If they didn't have pads, it would be more like rugby/aussie rules fb. You simply can't generate as much force without pads. If you put a metal cage, an unbreakable helmet, and shoulder pads on theses savage Polynesians in rugby, you would get way crazier hits.

Americans dont care what the rest of the world thinks about it's sports...

We are practically oblivious to the rest of the world.

I think this p*sses off Euros

We play against ourselves for the world championship dont even consider the rest of the world...

Someone mentioned earlier that football is by far the most popular sport in America, and its true..

we couldnt care less what the rest of the world thinks either. I think that bothers people who arent from here..

Football is incredibly violent but also full of strategy.. almost like chess. its a great combination of violence and strategy

plus there are only 16 games (So every play and every game is very important) and a week between each game to properly build the hype

Cool what are the other facets of athleticism?

And why would NFL players automatically be faster? Is it because African-Americans (And Carabean Africans) dominate running events at the olympics so it means African Americans in the NFL could do it too? Isnt that stereotyping?

By that logic Soccer players should automaticaly be stronger than NFL players because white Europeans dominate the world in weight lifting, Crossfit Judo, and wrestling etc?

Right????

because they have this thing called the NFL COMBINE that measure a ton of data from athletic tests....wtf is wrong with people here?

you can't really run the 40 much faster than top tier nfl players

Quote Originally Posted by johndeeregreen
    Yup.

Someone saying that a small sport drawing from a very small pool of talent might not have the best athletic talent in the world = "getting very defensive"

It's just facts and common sense here. Scale matters. If you have a sport that is practiced by 50000 people and compare it to a sport that is practiced by 50 million people, the latter will have superior athletes. No reason to get butt hurt over that.

Quote Originally Posted by LJJ
    Yup.

Someone saying that a small sport drawing from a very small pool of talent might not have the best athletic talent in the world = "getting very defensive"

It's just facts and common sense here. Scale matters. If you have a sport that is practiced by 50000 people and compare it to a sport that is practiced by 50 million people, the latter will have superior athletes. No reason to get butt hurt over that.