Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Is Grant Hill Hall of Fame bound?

Quote Originally Posted by ihatetimthomas
    He probably will, but this is why I just do not like how people get into the hall. I dont think he really doesn't deserves to be in. He had a nice college career and a good 5-6 years in the NBA, but to me that shouldn't be enough to get in. Had he not been injured, he would have been a lock in the hall. I dont even think Chis Mullin should be in. I wish the Hall was more exclusive. But based on how players are inducted, Hill certainly has a good chance.
    Agreed. My feeling has always been that the Hall should be for the truly elite.

Hill has had a remarkable career, but it's mostly remarkable for the fact that he overcame injury to become a very effective role player at an advanced age.

He's not Walton, who is in the argument as best college player ever and who carried one team to a title in his prime, playing at an incredibly high level, then became a major contributor to another title team.

Hill's a guy who had a really good college career, a couple of really good NBA seasons, and a time as a really solid player on mediocre teams.

Earlier posters mentioned Mullin, and there's much discussion today on ISH about McGrady and Carter. I don't think any of them belong.

I think G Hill is in when u throw in the college career. It's a shame it's even a debate cause G Hill seemed to be on track to possibly be the 2nd or 3rd GOAT SF of all time. It seemed he was like Dr. J and Pippen all rolled into one. In that sense, he redefined the SF spot. From there, a guy like Bron took the G Hill type model to new levels in a 6'8 265 pound body. Would have love to see those two battle as well. Hill was only 30 or 31 when Bron came in the L. So they could have had great battles. Teaming with T Mac would have been a devastating combination. One sure to get some rings. But due to injuries, they never got to show what they could do. But the thing is when G Hill was right, he was a top 5 player in the L. All around wise, I think Hill, MJ, Pippen, and Penny were the top four guys in the L in that sense as well. Hill gets in due to the great college career, great pro career cut short, and his character. I think when u were as great as G Hill was peak value wise, it gives him an edge. He has 5 all nba teams and seven all star games to boot as well.
    Last edited by bizil; 11-25-2011 at 05:45 PM.

Championship or bust Cali Syndicate's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by L.Kizzle
    He did ...

Hill had more All-Stars and All-NBA teams and a better college career.

If Hill had Timmy and Richmond/Webber and Sprewell ... instead of Jerry Stackhouse and old Joe Dumars.
    Some of Hill's all star appearances came cause of his popularity. Mullin in all of his selections had legitimacy. They came in a 5 year span where Mullin was scoring 25ppg on 50% shooting. Not many players have done that. And college careers is debatable. Hill may have the championships but he played for Duke who was a powerhouse even before Hill got there. They have a proven track record. Mullin played for St. John. Nuff said. And even so the NCAA still paid him his dues.

With all that said, Hill was overall a better player than Mullin but his career was obviously cut short. A brief career of elite play won't get you in. If he does, great, I just don't see it happening unless they give brownie points for the point I made earlier.

Quote Originally Posted by Cali Syndicate
    Some of Hill's all star appearances came cause of his popularity. Mullin in all of his selections had legitimacy. They came in a 5 year span where Mullin was scoring 25ppg on 50% shooting. Not many players have done that. And college careers is debatable. Hill may have the championships but he played for Duke who was a powerhouse even before Hill got there. They have a proven track record. Mullin played for St. John. Nuff said. And even so the NCAA still paid him his dues.

With all that said, Hill was overall a better player than Mullin but his career was obviously cut short. A brief career of elite play won't get you in. If he does, great, I just don't see it happening unless they give brownie points for the point I made earlier.
    Only one of them came from popularity. He was injured in 2001, yet still voted in. His other years were legit, even in 2005.

Only one of them came from popularity. He was injured in 2001, yet still voted in. His other years were legit, even in 2005.
    Eh...I'm looking at the vote results now and Hill getting more votes than Nash and Dirk kinda tells me it was more of a popularity contest, it kinda always has been though. 05 was his first solid year back from his ankle surgeries so fans were just happy to see him back even though he clearly wasn't the same player.

Eh...I'm looking at the vote results now and Hill getting more votes than Nash and Dirk kinda tells me it was more of a popularity contest, it kinda always has been though. 05 was his first solid year back from his ankle surgeries so fans were just happy to see him back even though he clearly wasn't the same player.
    What year, 01 or 05?

'Nash and Dirk were never popular players. Nash might have only been voted in once as a started, Dirk still has zero. He only got put into the lineup once cause someone (Yao I think) was injured.

What year, 01 or 05?

'Nash and Dirk were never popular players. Nash might have only been voted in once as a started, Dirk still has zero. He only got put into the lineup once cause someone (Yao I think) was injured.
    I was looking at the 05 voting results.

Nash played in a conference with 3 of the more popular guards of this era in Kobe, Iverson and McGrady so it makes sense.

Look at McGrady's 06 bid.....All Star games are a popularity contest.

Serious playground baller RobertdeMeijer's Avatar

From 1992 to 2000, Grant Hill was one of the first dozen players that came to mind when I heard basketball.
    To me it would be strange not to have him enshrined.

Local High School Star west_tip's Avatar

Duke may have been a powerhouse but Coack K had gotten to a few Final 4s without winning a National title, its not like he was Bill Walton slotting into a program well used to winning it all.

nba finals towel boy Kyle_korver's Avatar

Hell no!!!.. I doubt t Mac going n that's one of my fav players .. Why would grant hill go??

Quote Originally Posted by west_tip
    Duke may have been a powerhouse but Coack K had gotten to a few Final 4s without winning a National title, its not like he was Bill Walton slotting into a program well used to winning it all.
    That wasn't my point. Hill's winning college career has a lot to do with him playing for Duke program. Mullin played for St. John so it was very unlikely he was playing for a solid contender year in year out like Hill was. That was the contrast I was making. However had Hill played in a weaker basketball program, I'm sure he could have still been regarded a great college player regardless if he hadn't made any finals appearances as Mullin was.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Smoke117's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bizil
    I think G Hill is in when u throw in the college career. It's a shame it's even a debate cause G Hill seemed to be on track to possibly be the 2nd or 3rd GOAT SF of all time. It seemed he was like Dr. J and Pippen all rolled into one. In that sense, he redefined the SF spot. From there, a guy like Bron took the G Hill type model to new levels in a 6'8 265 pound body. Would have love to see those two battle as well. Hill was only 30 or 31 when Bron came in the L. So they could have had great battles. Teaming with T Mac would have been a devastating combination. One sure to get some rings. But due to injuries, they never got to show what they could do. But the thing is when G Hill was right, he was a top 5 player in the L. All around wise, I think Hill, MJ, Pippen, and Penny were the top four guys in the L in that sense as well. Hill gets in due to the great college career, great pro career cut short, and his character. I think when u were as great as G Hill was peak value wise, it gives him an edge. He has 5 all nba teams and seven all star games to boot as well.
    How was he Dr. J and Pippen rolled into one? Grant Hill was basically Scottie but more nimble and quicker so more successful off the dribble but with less range as a shooter and not as good in the post. (and obviously nothing close to Pippen defensively) The key thing was that nimbleness and quickness that allowed him to attack the basket and get to the ft line a lot more than a guy like Pippen did. (though Pippen never got any calls anyway even when he was hammered...probably because he played next to Jordan) If you replace Pippen with Hill in that Doug Collins offense that he ran on the Pistons (which basically allowed him to run the offense and whatever he pleased), Pippen would replicate every stat the same except probably average more assist as he was just more of a natural pg. That and you would just have a far, far superior defensive player. The whole Dr. J thing is where you are throwing me off. That just makes no complete sense. Though Scottie Pippen's offensive game replicates Dr. J's more than anybodies as he was his hero, so maybe they are all linked in the sense that their games are similar as far as scoring goes? Pippen was also Dr. J's favorite player of the 90s era. But Grant Hill did not "redefine" anything. If anything Pippen redefined the SF position long before Grant Hill joined the league. He was just basically Scottie Pippen better off the dribble with less range as a shooter. That year when Hill averaged 25ppg in 2000 his all around game and defense suffered (as most players do...the more energy you put on scoring less you have for defense)
    Last edited by Smoke117; 11-25-2011 at 08:44 PM.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

If Grant Hill makes it, then so should Vince Carter.

you can't stop me get these NETS's Avatar

shouldn't be

never got out of first round as the man

Quote Originally Posted by Smoke117
    How was he Dr. J and Pippen rolled into one? Grant Hill was basically Scottie but more nimble and quicker so more successful off the dribble but with less range as a shooter and not as good in the post. (and obviously nothing close to Pippen defensively) The key thing was that nimbleness and quickness that allowed him to attack the basket and get to the ft line a lot more than a guy like Pippen did. (though Pippen never got any calls anyway even when he was hammered...probably because he played next to Jordan) If you replace Pippen with Hill in that Doug Collins offense that he ran on the Pistons (which basically allowed him to run the offense and whatever he pleased), Pippen would replicate every stat the same except probably average more assist as he was just more of a natural pg. That and you would just have a far, far superior defensive player. The whole Dr. J thing is where you are throwing me off. That just makes no complete sense. Though Scottie Pippen's offensive game replicates Dr. J's more than anybodies as he was his hero, so maybe they are all linked in the sense that their games are similar as far as scoring goes? Pippen was also Dr. J's favorite player of the 90s era. But Grant Hill did not "redefine" anything. If anything Pippen redefined the SF position long before Grant Hill joined the league. He was just basically Scottie Pippen better off the dribble with less range as a shooter. That year when Hill averaged 25ppg in 2000 his all around game and defense suffered (as most players do...the more energy you put on scoring less you have for defense)

The reason that Grant is similar to Dr. J is the fact that they were legit number one Batman options. Something Pip NEVER was. G Hill was way more willing to put a team on his back that Pip ever was scoring wise. Doc and Hill were freakish athletes and very smooth with that. Grant just didn't get to do it as long as Doc due to the injuries. Grant also had the point forward capabilities of Scottie Pippen as well, something Doc didn't have. Thus Grant combined the two in one. The only thing Pip had in common with Doc was the fact they were freakish athletes. Over than that, Pip and Doc didn't have much in common. Doc was a true Batman, while Pip was a true Robin. G Hill was considered a Batman, but probably not quite on the level of Doc. Cause Grant got hurt when he should have been really getting into his prime. And he had point forward skills of Pip along with.

The reasons I pointed out are why Hill did redefine the SF spot. Pip did too however. Pip combined Dr. J type athletic ability with point forward skills. But Pip was never a Batman or true number one option. Grant Hill added that scoring takeover ability that Pip didn't exhibit consistently enough. Therefore, Hill did redefine the SF spot. And now Bron is taking what Hill did to sick levels. Bottom line is Doc and Hill were Batman while Pip was always a Robin.

And if u dont see some Doc in Hill's game u are crazy! I see more Doc's game in Hill than I do Pip. Pip shoots more three pointers and has more range that Doc or Hill. Finishing at the hoop wise, Hill and Doc are more similar as well. U r insane to say Pip has more Dr. J in his game than Grant Hill. Pip has similarities as I said before. But Hill reminded me of Dr. J more than Pip. Hill had tremendous defense what are u talking about! But Pip is arguably the greatest perimeter player of all time. Hill had just as much point forward or point guard capabilities had Pip EVER had! U r delusional for real! LMBAO! Pip peak value wise aint ****ing with G Hill peak value wise. G Hill in my book was on a whole other level than Pip. Hill is closer to the Dr. J, Bird, Hondo, Barry level of SF than Pip ever will be. The year before Hill got his first serious injury, he put up 26 points a night, 7 boards, and 5 dimes. Hill has had seasons of 9.8 boards and also seasons of 7.3 assists. That's Larry Bird level production. Peak Pip simply isn't on Peak Hill's level at all. Hill was being groomed to be THE AMBASSADOR of the NBA along with Shaq! Pip was never close to that. Dr. J was the first ambassador type player when the NBA was slowly making that push worldwide. He then passed the torch to Magic and Larry. Then they passed it to Mike. Shaq and Hill were the next two guys for that. Shaq got to reap while Hill had the injuries. Pip was simply never on this type of playing field!
    Last edited by bizil; 11-25-2011 at 10:17 PM.