Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Serious playground baller Extempo's Avatar

Default Why is there a separation between Laker and Clipper fans?

I think that is the funniest thing ever. You all live in LA. Its not like the Angels (Anaheim) vs Dodgers (LA). Both teams play in the same city, the same arena. Shouldn't you root for both teams? You should all own Kobe, Griffin, CP3, Gasol jerseys. I've wondered the same thing about the Yankees/Mets but at least they don't share an arena. So where does the separation come from? Laker/Clipper fans, please explain the logic behind you guys rooting for one team but not the other.

Default Re: Why is there a separation between Laker and Clipper fans?

Same reason Nets/Knicks fans won't...

or Giants/Jets

Quote Originally Posted by BGriffin's Dad

or Giants/Jets
    /Thread

Good college starter

or Giants/Jets
    it's different cuz it's the same arena. wonder if anyone has season tickets to both

Welcome to LA S. Nash! rhythmic 's Avatar

If Lakers are eliminated and the Clips are still in the playoffs, you bet your ass I will root for them. There is no jealousy in me; both squads play for my city. I have always been a Laker fans since I was little, because of Magic and Worthy.

Clippers were irrelevant for far too long, sometimes I even forget they play in Los Angeles.

Serious playground baller Extempo's Avatar

or Giants/Jets
    Smart-ass missed the part where I said they play in the same arena. The person who agreed is even dumber.

Quote Originally Posted by Extempo
    Smart-ass missed the part where I said they play in the same arena. The person who agreed is even dumber.
    Irrelevant where they play in the same city... they're 2 different teams. Are you really wondering why all NBA fans in LA aren't fans of both?

If this was European soccer there would be some kind of political(left wing or right wing) or geographical(like west or east LA) separation. But in basketball, there is none of that.

NBA rookie of the year senelcoolidge's Avatar

I didn't understand this either at first. I thought wouldn't they just root for both teams..if one is good you will be happy for the one that is doing better..not mattering which one it was. But LA media is so biased to the lakers. The radio stations bash the Clippers constantly even when they are doing good. I find it sad. That's one reason why I can't stand the lakers. People that are Clipper fans are real fans, they've gone through so much and stay loyal. Unlike the delusional bandwagon laker fans. Clipper fans know basketball, laker fans just talk sh%t.

Magic Johnson

There'd be a rivalry between both squads if the Clippers were ever any good. Now that they've got a chance to be decent I think you'll see more excitement when the two teams face off.

I don't root for the Clippers, but I'll certainly be watching them a lot this season. I suppose I might root for them if the Lakers were to lose in the playoffs. We'll see.

Clipper Nation Soldier Clippersfan86's Avatar

Typically I do root for the Lakers when I'm not rooting for the Clippers. More so in the post Shaq era. I do this mainly because I'm from LA and I have friends/family that are Lakers fans. Obviously if these teams develop a serious rivalry/bad blood all bets are off. For now I see no reason why I can't be peaceful with Lakers fans. I have clashes with fake Lakers fans (about 50 percent of Lakers fans) but even the true Lakers fans I'm associated with hate those fans too.

Lebronyte Kryptonite

People dip on the Clippers mainly cuz of the way Sterling runs the organization. Too many black employees quit cuz it was said he was openly racist towards them and others who worked for him. He was even quoted using the N word referring to certain players. Pretty easy to hate on them after hearing stuff like that.

Welcome to LA S. Nash! rhythmic 's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LA_Showtime
    There'd be a rivalry between both squads if the Clippers were ever any good. Now that they've got a chance to be decent I think you'll see more excitement when the two teams face off.

I don't root for the Clippers, but I'll certainly be watching them a lot this season. I suppose I might root for them if the Lakers were to lose in the playoffs. We'll see.
    My logic is this:
    Why not root for a team that has a chance to bring gold to our city? It's a privilege to have two teams play for the same city, IMO. Only time I wouldn't root for the Clips is obviously when they play the Lakers.

Banned

or Giants/Jets
    An even better example: Cubs and White Sox fans.

Los Angeles is less intense than those two cities though in terms of sports rivalry, so you'll get some people who will support both Lakers and Clippers.

I don't think you'll see that with the Chicago and New York crowd.

Serious playground baller

Personally, I've always just been ashamed and embarrassed that the clippers play in the same city and same arena. They've always been that disgraceful 'other' team that could never get their shit together and put out a respectful product.

That's why I hate them. I always wished they would just go away.