Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Decent college freshman

Default Re: The Truth about Wiggins

He just needs to get a bit lower, which he's working on currently. I think he'll be fine. If not, he's Matrix

I usually hit open layups

I see what OP is saying in terms of comparing him to elite shot creators, but the fact that OP said that ball handling can't be improved on is one of the most ignorant statements I've ever read lol...

BEAST

Quote Originally Posted by CelticBalla32
    I see what OP is saying in terms of comparing him to elite shot creators, but the fact that OP said that ball handling can't be improved on is one of the most ignorant statements I've ever read lol...

OPs thread should go into the dumbest things i've heard on ISH thread.

ball handling can be improved by anyone if they work on it. things you say about hesitations , change of directions, those type of things can be learned if he has a good coach and mentor that teaches him how to break down the defense in certain situations. Decision making in a split second is harder to train then improving ball handling skills.

Kobe improved in ball-handling so much, up to a level that I could say he had the best moves out of any SG I've seen back in 08 before breaking his finger.
    His ball-handling really suffered after that injury and the surgery following it, never was really the same.

Quote Originally Posted by ralph_i_el
    Counter point: Kevin Durant and Paul George
    Both really athletic tall guys who had weak handles entering the league. KD has had huge improvement. PG has improved too, but for him it's mostly learning what things to attempt and what not to attempt (open pull up J's, good. Splitting doubles on the PnR....BAD)
    KD was crossing up kids at Texas, and watch his duel against McGrady his rookies year with the Super Sonics. He already had great ball handling.

Quote Originally Posted by CelticBalla32
    As I said at the beginning of this thread your decision making with the ball will improve (reading the defense and making good decisions on when to create or score, watching how they play you), but you're ball handling wont improve much.

Find just 1 player who couldn't dribble in high school who penetrates and creates for teammates in the NBA. Just 1

Quote Originally Posted by mr beast

OPs thread should go into the dumbest things i've heard on ISH thread.

ball handling can be improved by anyone if they work on it. things you say about hesitations , change of directions, those type of things can be learned if he has a good coach and mentor that teaches him how to break down the defense in certain situations. Decision making in a split second is harder to train then improving ball handling skills.
    you're making the general "anyone can improve with help" statement which is true in most cases, I gave out alot of examples, how about you give me one?

Most of the videos Ass Dan linked were of players currently in the NBA. He didn't linked John Wall and D Wade's HS videos as we have all seen them break people down at 17. Which proves my point, the rest are corporate dribbling drill videos made for suburban white kids who wanna improve. But as posters here have already said NBA players don't do any of those drills in the NBA, they just got paid to.

You are what you are, remember those Tyson Chandler & Hakeem workout videos 2 years ago? I mean, I'm sure it helped him in the low post alittle bit right?
    Last edited by Noyze; 09-10-2014 at 09:42 PM.

I love the pacers and I'm trying to become a better ball player. Should I stop practicing ball handling and spend the time on another skill? Are we able to improve that outside of the nba or not?

Clyde Drexler could only dribble with the right hand, looked down while dribbling on the fast break, and still did quite alright for himself.

Local High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by SexSymbol
    Kobe improved in ball-handling so much, up to a level that I could say he had the best moves out of any SG I've seen back in 08 before breaking his finger.
    His ball-handling really suffered after that injury and the surgery following it, never was really the same.
    Kobe's had handles when he came into the league.

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by Ass Dan
    OP is right, no NBA player ever works on their handle once they get in the league, they know they cannot improve it, so they take it completely out of their regiments.

All the below videos are part of the conspiracy that the NBA puts on fans to have them believe that NBA players work on and improve their handles, when in reality they ignore it, because there is no chance to improve it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_m9VG1-EJQ

SHAM!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YoysXqYZd_s

FARCE!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQZwmNXSM4w

LIES!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iysTlumVogs

BULLSHIT!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BESnkdE-7mo

GETOUTTAHERE!

Man, what lengths the NBA goes to to perpetuate this myth.

Thanks OP you have enriched our lives by uncovering this conspiracy.

seriously, most scrutinized player in history.

College superstar

Quote Originally Posted by Encre92
    I think it's also about fitting into a right team. Look at Gerald Green last season.

Gerald Green could've had a much better NBA career if it weren't for him hanging around the wrong crowd of people. At least he's more dedicated to the game of basketball now than what JR Rider has ever been in his entire career.

Wiggins can easily put up prime Ray Allen stats with lower efficiency, but with much better defense..something like 22-24/6/4/2/1 on 55% TS is easily attainable even if his handles don't improve dramatically. He's just so ridiculously gifted athletically, and his jumper shows promise..with a pass first PG like Rubio and another potential playmaker in Lavine on the TWolves, he's in a great situation for his existing tools to be used well and there isn't a huge necessity for him to be an elite ballhandler/playmaker. Athleticism and shooting alone will get him 20 ppg easily when he adjusts to the NBA.. Anyone expecting him to be anything near prime Lebron/Kobe/KD level is gonna be disappointed though.

[COLOR="White"]That said, Jabari >[/COLOR]

Quote Originally Posted by Noyze
    Comparing him to DeMar DeRozan was more realistic.
    If he's as dedicated as DeMar is at improving his game, then he can certainly tap his full potential and be a real superstar in this league.

Quote Originally Posted by Noyze

Most of the videos Ass Dan linked were of players currently in the NBA. He didn't linked John Wall and D Wade's HS videos as we have all seen them break people down at 17. Which proves my point, the rest are corporate dribbling drill videos made for suburban white kids who wanna improve. But as posters here have already said NBA players don't do any of those drills in the NBA, they just got paid to.
    No you f*ckin dumbass, they are videos of their workouts, the ones they do, in the pros.

Pros work on and improve their dribbling. Its reality.

Elite ball handlers usually are very good coming into the league and I would say it is probably the most difficult skill to go from non existent / below average to Good/elite. For example despite being a young player I don't see a guy like Avery Bradley ever being a good ball handler in the league despite the amount of work he puts into it. He'll just never have the natural feel that good ball handlers developed in their early years.

I've seen bad post players become good over the years or non shooters becoming good eventually but ball handlers are usual good out the gate.

NBA rookie of the year senelcoolidge's Avatar

Wiggins will be a good player..just good. Don't expect greatness. He will just be a solid player, not perennial All Star. Just good. I guess that's not good enough.