Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Learning to shoot layups

Default Re: #1 NBA Player Of All-Time According to InsideHoops

MJ

National High School Star Nevaeh's Avatar

Cool, a thread with an excuse to post Jordan Pics.

Dunking on everybody in the park

Wilt Chamberlain

Saw a basketball once

Dunking on everybody in the park

Quote Originally Posted by ThunderStruk022
    First off, some of the advantages you give Wilt are just flat out wrong, but I won't go into that. Passing, really? Jordan was a very good playmaker. Just because Wilt wanted to "prove" he could lead the league in assists and did so, doesn't make him the better passer. From a few things I've read (and they could be completely wrong), when Wilt decided to try and lead the NBA in assists, it was somewhat detrimental to the team at times, and he was forcing passes. And I'd say him as the best passing center of all-time is very debatable, too. Then every time you give Jordan an advantage you throw in the disclaimer that that Wilt is very close in things like range. And of course Wilt gets the advantage in rebounding and blocks; he was a 7'1" 280 pound center and Jordan a 6'6" SG. Not to mention you apparently eliminate team success which would tip the scales heavily in Jordan's direction.

I mean don't get me wrong, I have Wilt in my top 5 all-time, and if you want to rank him #1 fine. It just seems like you're pushing a Wilt agenda and one jlauber on this site is enough.
    So we should discount Wilt's far superior rebounding and defense because it wouldn't be fair to Jordan?

Yes, wilt was 7'+ and was a center which gave him certain advantages. It gave him the ability to impact games in a way that Jordan couldn't. Why should that be discounted?
    Last edited by M.Bustly15A5RU8; 08-19-2012 at 02:50 PM.

Saw a basketball once ThunderStruk022's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by M.Bustly15A5RU8
    So we should discount Wilt's far superior rebounding and defense because it wouldn't be fair to Jordan?

Yes, wilt was 7'+ and was a center which gave him certain advantages. It gave him the ability to impact games in a way that Jordan couldn't. Why should that be discounted?
    Poor wording on my part. I didn't mean it shouldn't be included when comparing the two players. If you did that then, obviously, you'd have to ignore things that Jordan had an obvious advantage in by being a guard.

Saw a basketball once ThunderStruk022's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jongib369
    I just threw up some quick criteria and went from there, I know there are more to it then that...Wilt was a great passer, and the years before that he was the focal point of the offense and told to score as much as he did, so he didnt pass as much...but once he had great teamates around him he proved a point and maintained a damn good assist number with age going forward....I left out team success because its just that...TEAM...If your going to rate the best team players thats a whole different story...Bill Russell is ahead of wilt then. I was PURELY just focusing on what they can do...Your entitled to your opinion but from the footage ive seen, he does have a case for goat...BUT I admit, I probably should have waited to post criteria AFTER I got some sleep lmfao...i was up for 40 hours
    Fair enough. And if you personally want to rank players on ability and stats, and ignore things like team accomplishments, that's fine. I just don't see why you would do that. I understand that championships is a team accomplishment, but it just sound like a "go-to" line for Wilt fans.

Why shouldn't you include rings? The goal of any team sport is to win a championships and, if you're the clear alpha dog on a championship team, it says a whole lot about your overall impact on the game. I mean it's no coincidence that the consensus top-6 players of all-time (Jordan, Russell, Kareem, Magic, Wilt, and Bird) have a combined 33 championships. Yes, they were apart of some really good teams with a lot of talent, but the best players win. Going through the rest of my top 10 (Duncan, Shaq, Hakeem, Kobe) and that's another 15 championships for a total of 48 between my top 10 players all-time.

What can I do for you? SuperPippen's Avatar

Not a single vote yet for Scal?

You people make me sick.

Russ

Quote Originally Posted by fpliii
    Russ

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer 1987_Lakers's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RRR3

Banned

Okay this thread is done...

Quote Originally Posted by RRR3
    reps

EDIT: apparently this earned me my first neg:

"You're fine, but c'mon man. thong slippin too high or something"
    Last edited by fpliii; 08-19-2012 at 04:08 PM.