Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Summer League: Dante Exum 36 pts, 14 assists full highlight (video)

Quote Originally Posted by Magic731
    In all seriousness anyone who expected him to blow people away in summer league really have no idea. He's barely played before summer league. I said all along it would take him a while to get adjusted to NBA but when he does it's gonna be something special.
    This, and it was obvious he got winded in 5 minute spurts. Im impressed by his quickness and unselfishness though. He seems like a pg for me though.

Banned

He'll end up being the best player in this draft by far, with McDermott the next best.

He's going to be the Jordan/Kobe of his era

Quote Originally Posted by unknowns8
    to say his only consistent competition is high school kids is slightly ignorant ... you got nike hoops summits and other camps too against the same guys he was in the draft with so he's hardly coming in as a complete unknown ... unless all you ever pay attention to is college ball
    Don't know why exactly you're looking for an argument but apparently you do not understand the meaning of the word consistent... google it....

He attended a grand total of 1 hoops summit, last year... The only (literally only) other time he was measured against anyone else in the draft was at the combine... that's it. Pre-draft he was the epitome of unknown for an NBA draft.

Please do some research about the subject you're attempting to argue about in future, it stops you looking... ignorant...

NBA All-star

he's got better ball handling skills than I expected for someone his size. I don't think him and Burke is really going to be an issue at all.

Burke's shooting % still bothers me a bit, but from watching him play in college, I didn't think his % would have that big of a drop.

Exum's jumper was probably the biggest reason why teams passed on him

while they did lose Marvin Williams, I expect them to be a better defensive team next year at the least, because offense might just take a bit more time for their guards to catch up.

NCAA tournament Zach Lavine 8 pts, 2 assists full highlight (video)

In 3 games

[COLOR="White"]Let's not forget 20% too.[/COLOR]

Showed enough to give some confidence it was the right move. Some nice passes and court vision. Has a good first step and speed to get to the hoop, he'll just need to get used to the physicality and size difference that comes from playing in the NBA. Shooting need work too, but he wouldn't be the first 19 year old that has happened too.

Quote Originally Posted by Cocaine80s
    Summer league

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Xiao Yao You's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by unknowns8
    even if Dante is playing 2nd fiddle to Trey whilst in Utah, this guy will develop and will prosper in the NBA whilst playing for Utah. It's only a matter of time. If Utah don't afford him the opportunities to further develop his obvious talents, and barring injuries, some club will recognise his talents and will give him what he wants - a starting PG position
    They're talking like he's going to be Burke's back-up this year. He's potentially their best player. Burke like everyone else on the Jazz have a lot to prove yet. Burke hasn't proven he should be starting in the NBA on a non tanking team yet.

Burke's shooting % still bothers me a bit, but from watching him play in college, I didn't think his % would have that big of a drop.
    His defense is a bigger issue.

Exum's jumper was probably the biggest reason why teams passed on him

while they did lose Marvin Williams, I expect them to be a better defensive team next year at the least, because offense might just take a bit more time for their guards to catch up.
    Marvin Williams is a gain not a loss.

Wasn't overly impressed by Exum, but he does have a heck of a first step.

The jumper look shaky though.

Quote Originally Posted by Cocaine80s
    Slayed.

Quote Originally Posted by Xiao Yao You
    They're talking like he's going to be Burke's back-up this year. He's potentially their best player. Burke like everyone else on the Jazz have a lot to prove yet. Burke hasn't proven he should be starting in the NBA on a non tanking team yet.
    But who outside of Hayward legitimately has? You could make an argument for Favors presumably but even then you'd have to point out he didn't start for the Jazz until they started losing a ton of games.

I mean, their rotation (off the top of my head) looks like this:
    Enes Kanter
    Derrick Favors
    Gordon Hayward
    Dante Exum
    Trey Burke
    Rudy Gobert
    Jeremy Evans
    Rodney Hood
    Alec Burks

There's a lot of potential there but it's all young and only one (two, really) who have proven then can contribute to a winning team, but that's not exactly what the Jazz are about this year.

I also don't quite get where people are coming from thinking Burke and Exum (or Burks for that matter) can't share the court together. Having Exum out there will open the floor up for Burke and he won't have to be shooting off the dribble as much and can actually work to get better shots (or at least potentially).

Quote Originally Posted by steve
    But who outside of Hayward legitimately has? You could make an argument for Favors presumably but even then you'd have to point out he didn't start for the Jazz until they started losing a ton of games.

I mean, their rotation (off the top of my head) looks like this:
    Enes Kanter
    Derrick Favors
    Gordon Hayward
    Dante Exum
    Trey Burke
    Rudy Gobert
    Jeremy Evans
    Rodney Hood
    Alec Burks
    You forgot Booker. Still have 3 roster spaces to fill too. Gobert has to show he can play at both ends before he's in the rotation.

There's a lot of potential there but it's all young and only one (two, really) who have proven then can contribute to a winning team, but that's not exactly what the Jazz are about this year.
    Favors, G, Burks, Kanter and Booker have all be in the rotation of playoff teams.

I also don't quite get where people are coming from thinking Burke and Exum (or Burks for that matter) can't share the court together. Having Exum out there will open the floor up for Burke and he won't have to be shooting off the dribble as much and can actually work to get better shots (or at least potentially).
    Because people still think of basketball by positions when the game is about putting the 5 best guys on the floor.

Right, I forgot about Booker. And I have a bit of an issue including Burks and Kanter because both of them were fringe rotation players during the last two seasons the Jazz were above .500 but that's really just splitting hairs. One of the things I really like how this backcourt is constructed for the Jazz is Exum and Burks have combo guard tendencies (to varying degrees, of course) and both them can allow Burke to play off the ball a little bit more, which should open his game up a good bit. Also enjoyed watching the Jazz during the summer league because Gobert is starting to look like an actual NBA caliber player (which has kind of developed into not really talked about narrative for the '14 draft class).

I really liked watching Exum though. There are some holes obviously, he needs to find more consistency with his shooting form and just get adjusted to the physicality an speed of pro basketball (more on the defensive end than anything else) but there's also a lot to be really excited about. Someone pointed this out above but his handle is a lot tighter than I was expecting, he's a little loose right now with his passing but his court vision is excellent. And his change of pace and hesitation moves are just fantastic (not even taking into account he just turned 19). I think it's also fair to point out that on top of only playing a handful of games against adequate talent in his age range, he really hasn't played a competitive game of basketball since December.

Quote Originally Posted by steve
    Right, I forgot about Booker. And I have a bit of an issue including Burks and Kanter because both of them were fringe rotation players during the last two seasons the Jazz were above .500 but that's really just splitting hairs.
    Burks was fringe. Kanter was in the rotation from day 1.

One of the things I really like how this backcourt is constructed for the Jazz is Exum and Burks have combo guard tendencies (to varying degrees, of course) and both them can allow Burke to play off the ball a little bit more, which should open his game up a good bit.
    And their new max player as well.

Also enjoyed watching the Jazz during the summer league because Gobert is starting to look like an actual NBA caliber player (which has kind of developed into not really talked about narrative for the '14 draft class).
    He looked good last summer too. See how it translates in the fall with a now crowded front court.

I really liked watching Exum though. There are some holes obviously, he needs to find more consistency with his shooting form and just get adjusted to the physicality an speed of pro basketball (more on the defensive end than anything else) but there's also a lot to be really excited about. Someone pointed this out above but his handle is a lot tighter than I was expecting, he's a little loose right now with his passing but his court vision is excellent. And his change of pace and hesitation moves are just fantastic (not even taking into account he just turned 19). I think it's also fair to point out that on top of only playing a handful of games against adequate talent in his age range, he really hasn't played a competitive game of basketball since December.
    He's unselfish which is always good to see,

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer DMAVS41's Avatar

Exum has a chance to be the best player in this draft.

Well, only if Embid becomes Oden, but taking away Embid...Exum has as much potential as Parker/Wiggins in my opinion.

Really thought the Jazz got a steal there.