Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast
    Local High School Star

Default Re: Field Goal Percent is the most overrated stat in the world

Quote Originally Posted by SlayerEnraged

BTW ur sex machine MJ said Kobe was best player in the league in 2010 AND this year said only Kobe should be compared to MJ. Ur eyes when u see MJ's dick
    To be fair, as great of a player as Jordan is, his eye for talent is shit. Plus he's a bit of an egomaniac, and Kobe has copied large portions of MJs game down to his mannerisms (and I'm not faulting Kobe for that at all).

LMAO is that why Magic and Jerry himself say he's better then them... SMH at ur old ass ignorance

BTW ur sex machine MJ said Kobe was best player in the league in 2010 AND this year said only Kobe should be compared to MJ. Ur eyes when u see MJ's dick
    I'd say that 90-95% of people who aren't "player fans" of Kobe consider him to be the 2nd or 3rd best SG ever and somewhere from 9-15 on the ATList.

I'd also say the majority have him ranked 10 or above so I am being alittle generous there.

I'd say maybe 85+% of those consider MJ to be the GOAT.

Am I really that offbase with my views?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by comerb
    To be fair, as great of a player as Jordan is, his eye for talent is shit. Plus he's a bit of an egomaniac, and Kobe has copied large portions of MJs game down to his mannerisms (and I'm not faulting Kobe for that at all).
    The only thing Kobe's copied of MJ's is things like the fade away that a billion other players before MJ used..Kobe shoots more 3's and plays with more flare/style and electric like plays.

The only thing Kobe's copied of MJ's is things like the fade away that a billion other players before MJ used..Kobe shoots more 3's and plays with more flare/style and electric like plays.

Banned

Only kobe fans that saying this.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by 32Dayz
    I'd say that 90-95% of people who aren't "player fans" of Kobe consider him to be the 2nd or 3rd best SG ever and somewhere from 9-15 on the ATList.

I'd also say the majority have him ranked 10 or above so I am being alittle generous there.

I'd say maybe 85+% of those consider MJ to be the GOAT.

Am I really that offbase with my views?

LOL the only people not having Kobe in their top 10=haters. They aint gonna admitt it. Kobe's got a ego and a cocky/arrogant personality...They don't like it.

Local High School Star

The bolded part is the only part you got right. Of course, MJ didn't shoot 3s for a reason, and it's the same reason Wade/Lebron are scaling back this year. The only thing Kobe did better than MJ was shoot free-throws.

Go ahead and search youtube for similarities in their game. They are almost identical, even when you talk about facial expressions and random mannerisms.

I don't even know wtf your talking about w/ the "flare/style" part. Unless your talking about taking really dumb shots... Kobe does take a lot of really dumb, poor shots that MJ didn't take... If that's "style", then I guess you got me on that one.
    Last edited by comerb; 01-29-2012 at 03:11 AM.

I don't get picked last at the park anymore

People act like it's accurate...Well most of the time it isn't.

Kobe's supposedly a 45.4% shooter this year.

Well 12/19 games he's a 46.4% shooter or better.

Michael Jordan vs the 93 Knicks in the playoffs shot 40%

Well it turns out he shot under 37.5% in 4/6 games

There's just way to many examples of this type of thing happening. Excessively bad or good shooting games knock a players shooting % up or down and it's not an accurate measure. It's also a silly stat because it doesn't specify how many bail out shots, shots at the end of quarters, etc that a player takes. Plus in my opinion, if you go 6 for 18 or so but end up with 24 points, then that's not a bad thing. It has some value but is the most overrated and overused stat ever.
    So you're saying that in about half the games he's played, Kobe has shot above his average. NO. ****ING. WAY.

Thanks for defining what average field goal percentage means. Your examples are also useless, because you're using sample sizes of 6 games and 19 games. Field goal percentage is a measurement that becomes more accurate with more games played, making it a perfectly reasonable statistic over the long term.

Also, this year Kobe is shooting at exactly his career average in field goal percentage. You're telling us that your 12 out of 19 games is more accurate than over a thousand games' worth of compiled data? I think not.

lol Kobe isnt a Top 10 playoff performer even.

DWade has been a much better playoff performer and Finals performer then Kobe has so far and if he catches him in longetivity he will be the better player period.

Right now

Jordan, Shaq, Kareem, Wilt, Russell, Magic, Bird, Duncan, Hakeem, West.

After that you have Oscar Robertson, Dr. J, Moses and KG to fight with Kobe for the 11-15 Spots.

Kobe is not a Top 10 player and is not a particularly good playoff performer in comparison to better GOATs.

He has only been the best player on his own team for 1 of his 5 rings and even in 2009 he wasn't "that much" better then Gasol especially in the Finals.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by TerranOP
    So you're saying that in about half the games he's played, Kobe has shot above his average. NO. ****ING. WAY.

Thanks for defining what average field goal percentage means. Your examples are also useless, because you're using sample sizes of 6 games and 19 games. Field goal percentage is a measurement that becomes more accurate with more games played, making it a perfectly reasonable statistic over the long term.

Also, this year Kobe is shooting at exactly his career average in field goal percentage. You're telling us that your 12 out of 19 games is more accurate than over a thousand games' worth of compiled data? I think not.
    Want me to get back with you on a career basis? I'll tell you the results tomorrow. I guarentee 60% or more of his games are above the 45ish career percent he got. That's exactly the point. The average fg% isn't accurate. Kobe shot 47% tonight.. so 13/20 games Kobe= above 46.4%. 65 Percent of the time he's shooting above that average. It's silly to think that's accurate.

Banned

shooters stat. but look who don't give a damn about this stat. lebron, kobe, magic, bird, shaq, wade, jordan, kareem, etc... anybody meant to score a bunch of points.

Best of Both Worlds Dwyane Rose's Avatar

Banned

lol Kobe isnt a Top 10 playoff performer even.

DWade has been a much better playoff performer and Finals performer then Kobe has so far and if he catches him in longetivity he will be the better player period.

Right now

Jordan, Shaq, Kareem, Wilt, Russell, Magic, Bird, Duncan, Hakeem, West.

After that you have Oscar Robertson, Dr. J, Moses and KG to fight with Kobe for the 11-15 Spots.

Kobe is not a Top 10 player and is not a particularly good playoff performer.

He has only been the best player on his own team for 1 of his 5 rings and even in 2009 he wasn't "that much" better then Gasol especially in the Finals.
    HAHA that's not what all my quotes and sources say :) HaHa u have the most retaded top 10 ever...More than half of them are big men! Blow MJ and Lebron harder please

HAHA that's not what all my quotes and sources say :) HaHa u have the most retaded top 10 ever...More than half of them are big men! Blow MJ and Lebron harder please
    Some of the most valuable, impactful and best players ever have been bigs.

Dominant Bigs are generally more impactful then guards and are far rarer.

Pretty much 99.9% of people have those same bigs in the Top 10 with a few people who somehow leave Hakeem or Duncan out (idiots).

Also when did I mention Lebron?

If you wanna talk about Lebron I will tell you this.

If he can pile on 2 good to great Final performances he will have surpassed Kobe as a player and on the GOAT list.

Banned

Some of the most valuable, impactful and best players ever have been bigs.

Dominant Bigs are generally more impactful then guards and are far rarer.

Pretty much 99.9% of people have those same bigs in the Top 10 with a few people who somehow leave Hakeem or Duncan out (idiots).

Also when did I mention Lebron?

If you wanna talk about Lebron I will tell you this.

If he can pile on 2 good to great Final performances he will have surpassed Kobe as a player and on the GOAT list.
    Look oldy lox. To rank players fairly, it should be the best from each position 1-5 and then restart the cycle not 6-7 of the same position. NO they don't lol. Kenny, CHarles, Reggie, pretty much any real bball analyst has Kobe inside top 10, if not top 5.