Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Default Re: Is Jason Kidd a top 5 PG of all time?

Quote Originally Posted by Yung D-Will
    You constantly told me Chris Paul is the best player in the leauge yet you're telling me Nash isn't a top 10 pg.

Clearly when it comes to judging pg's you fail
    Well then, lets list the PGs with clearly better careers than Steve Nash:

Magic Johnson, Oscar Robertson, Isiah Thomas, Bob Cousy, John Stockton, Chris Paul, Walt Frazier, Jason Kidd, Gary Payton, Kevin Johnson, Mark Jackson, Tim Hardaway

And then those who are close to Steve Nash:
    Sam Cassell, Deron Williams, Penny Hardaway, Avery Johnson, Chauncey Billups

So yeah, Steve Nash is at best the 13th best PG of all time without a question. He has yet to surpass Suns all time great PG Kevin Johnson, who led the team to an NBA finals appearance only to lose to the Bulls led by the GOAT. A few years later Id see Deron Williams and Derrick Rose(maybe Rajon Rondo too if he wins another champ) surpassing Nash too, effectively dropping him to around 15th or below.
    Last edited by Kiddlovesnets; 01-28-2012 at 05:37 PM.

Kidd is generally underrated here imo. By product of never being a big scorer and younger posters not having seen him as a young, athletic player.

He's going to retire (presumably someday) Top 3 All Time in assists, steals, 3 pt FG made. Top 10 in minutes, Top 15 in games. Really good defender.

Top 25 in defensive rebounds ahead of guys like Dave Cowens, Chris Webber, Bob McAdoo, Dr J etc...(if he hangs around two more years he may catch Bird and DRob). Somewhere around 60th in total rebounds (more than Oscar, Pippen, McAdoo, Cunningham, Sheed).

Always loved the way he improved his game and reinvented himself as needed. Pretty bad FT shooter out of college; improved 10%+ to 80%. As his athleticism waned he saw he had to become a reliable 3 pt shooter. Did that.

I've got him ahead of Stockton. Same scoring #s though Stockton a far better shooter. Kidd a far better defender and rebounder. Did more with less as far as players around him.

Oscar
    Magic
    Isiah
    Kidd
    Stockton

is my list.

Quote Originally Posted by Xiao Yao You
    Highly overrated in my mind. Not a highly intelligent player which you definitely need from your pg.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiddlovesnets

Magic Johnson, Oscar Robertson, Isiah Thomas, Bob Cousy, John Stockton, Chris Paul, Walt Frazier, Jason Kidd, Gary Payton, Kevin Johnson, Mark Jackson, Tim Hardaway

So yeah, Steve Nash is at best the 13th best PG of all time without a question. He has yet to surpass Suns all time great PG Kevin Johnson, who led the team to an NBA finals appearance only to lose to the Bulls led by the GOAT. A few years later Id see Deron Williams and Derrick Rose(maybe Rajon Rondo too if he wins another champ) surpassing Nash too, effectively dropping him to around 15th or below.
    What.

I must be getting trolled. Half of those players you've probally never even researched.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Xiao Yao You's Avatar

Taking almost 1300 shots in a season while shooting 38% is not smart basketball.

Banned

Taking almost 1300 shots in a season while shooting 38% is not smart basketball.
    You have to understand that he was wide open most of the time when he shot it. It's not like Kidd took heavily contested shots like you see Kobe Bryant take. Kidd pretty much always made the best decision when he took shots but he just wasn't very good at making the shot.

Decision making and intelligence was far from Kidd's problem at least in basketball. Kidd is pretty much an idiot and a douchebag outside of the court though.

He can definitely be argued (I have him 6-7 spot)

My Top 5 would be:

Magic Johnson
    Oscar Robertson
    Isiah Thomas
    John Stockton
    Walt Fraizer

I could see the case (a small one) over Stockton and Fraizer.

You have to understand that he was wide open most of the time when he shot it. It's not like Kidd took heavily contested shots like you see Kobe Bryant take. Kidd pretty much always made the best decision when he took shots but he just wasn't very good at making the shot.
    Still makes him highly overrated. He's still left wide open now but he doesn't shoot as much.

He is absolutely top 5 all-time and it's insulting to suggest otherwise.

Magic, Oscar, Isiah. Stockton should probably rank ahead, tho Jason Kidd might just be better. But he has to be ahead of Steve Nash and Gary Payton, as well as Walt Frazier, Tiny Archibald, Kevin Johnson, Bob Cousy.

Banned

no doubt he is and much ebtter than nash

Hmm. To me he is the best point guard of his generation and that should somewhat ensure he is at least arguable as a top 5.

15 years from now Nash will be regarded as the greatest point guard of his generation by consensus though.

Local High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by Kiddlovesnets

Wow.. easy there J-Kidd fan. Steve Nash is better than the guys who are bolded. He's got a fair argument to be argued better than Payton, Kidd and possibly Cousy too.

He's not a slouch man. Nash's one of the greatest shooters, most efficient players, greatest playmakers and best offensive players of all time. He's also a 2x MVP (some players got robbed, but he played well to earn them) and his overall success isn't too bad.

No one from those guys mentioned are better than Nash career wise. There's a possibility that D-Will and CP3 (some day) could surpass him, but that will be tough.

Steve Nash is a top 10 PG at worst.

Kevin Johnson didn't lead the Suns to the Finals. It was Charles Barkley who did lead them. In fact, it was Charles who led the Suns to a winning record without KJ. And Kevin didn't play in the Finals either. Not to mention that he was all offense as well and Nash has him in all categories expect athleticism and slashing.

D-Will, Rose and Rondo could surpass him one day, but they would have to be really successful in order to do so. Time will tell.

Quote Originally Posted by Yung D-Will
    Of course he has a case. After Magic,Isiah,Oscar and Isiah guys like Payton , Nash and Kidd can all make cases.
    Great point! I think the GOAT 3 PG's are Magic, Big O, and Zeke. After that I usually have Frazier and Stockton round out a top 5 GOAT PG list. But as u stated, Payton, Nash, and Kidd all have a case to be in the top 5.

Banned

Still makes him highly overrated. He's still left wide open now but he doesn't shoot as much.
    How does that make him overrated? You said he wasn't smart or wasn't a good decision maker. The fact is the shot Kidd took was usually a good shot, a good look, and probably the best shot available in that posession.

Intelligence and decision making =/ skill and talent.

Quote Originally Posted by JMT
    I've got him ahead of Stockton. Same scoring #s though Stockton a far better shooter. Kidd a far better defender and rebounder. Did more with less as far as players around him.
    Defense between Kidd and Stockton was about the same. Kidd was overrated defensively so I might give the edge to Stockton actually. Rebounding is irrelevant especially for a PG. Do you really care how well a PG rebounds? Is it really going to make you take one player over the other because of a PG's ability to rebound?

I would rather have my PG be efficient and be able to shoot efficiently than to be able to rebound.

How does that make him overrated?
    He couldn't shoot but shot a lot. Means he wasn't as great as advertised as far as I'm concerned. Triple double on 4-17 shooting. Woo Hoo!