Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 411121314151617 LastLast
    you can't stop me get these NETS's Avatar

Default Re: PickUp Game: Larry Bird VS Scottie Pippen

Quote Originally Posted by 97 bulls
    You know what's funny is that a lot of people feel the same way. Bird does get overrated due to his being whit. And this is a prime example of it.
    Isiah Thomas caught heat for telling the truth..and years later Bird admitted,as Pacers GM, that NBA needs more good white players to attract bigger fanbase.

Bird and Magic documentary touches on how Bird's emergence in the league helped fuel more (white) fans watching the sport.

Identifying with a player isn't wrong, but when it starts clouding your judgment...there might be a problem. Lot of confused insecure people in this thread.

In their mind Bird was a slow hard working white guy..shiiiiiitttttt!!!

Bird was no more or less athletic than Magic..but since he is white....much easier for fans to believe that he had no physical "gifts" and wasn't an elite Division 1 athlete...but just a hard working guy .
    If you look at the SF position in Bird's era.....it was LOADED with exceptional great players, multiskilled....and almost none of them were super athletic...Nique being the exception....

Who compared bird to miller offensively? I hope you don't mean me. I said their styles are similar. Similar in that they both looked to score off picks and screens and curls. And had wet jumpers. And really didn't attack the basket off the dribble.
    LOL @ Bird "not attacking the basket off the dribble."

Final piece of evidence you have no idea what you're talking about or only see the world through your homer eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by Pushxx
    LOL @ Bird "not attacking the basket off the dribble."

Final piece of evidence you have no idea what you're talking about or only see the world through your homer eyes.
    Lol as if your view isn't seen through celtic green bifocles. And no bird didn't attack off the dribble. And let me xpand on this concept cuz your kinda simple when it comes to basketball.

When I say off the dribble, I'm refering to his inability to get the ball at the top of the three point line and break his man down in an iso.

Quote Originally Posted by get these NETS
    Isiah Thomas caught heat for telling the truth..and years later Bird admitted,as Pacers GM, that NBA needs more good white players to attract bigger fanbase.

Bird and Magic documentary touches on how Bird's emergence in the league helped fuel more (white) fans watching the sport.

Identifying with a player isn't wrong, but when it starts clouding your judgment...there might be a problem. Lot of confused insecure people in this thread.

In their mind Bird was a slow hard working white guy..shiiiiiitttttt!!!

Bird was no more or less athletic than Magic..but since he is white....much easier for fans to believe that he had no physical "gifts" and wasn't an elite Division 1 athlete...but just a hard working guy .
    If you look at the SF position in Bird's era.....it was LOADED with exceptional great players, multiskilled....and almost none of them were super athletic...Nique being the exception....
    I honestly feel the way some of these people see it, if they admit pippen could take bird 1on 1, then somehow that must mean pippen should be ranked higher or is a better basketball player overall. When all it does is cater to pippens strength. The outcome would be far different if they were in a shooting contest. And bird was more dominant in the pro game.

Its no different than my feeling that steve kerr would outshoot michael jordan if they were in a shooting contest

Bird would murder him in the post, Pippen was a weak post defender

When I say off the dribble, I'm refering to his inability to get the ball at the top of the three point line and break his man down in an iso.
    When I say off the dribble, I mean off the dribble.

When I say off the dribble, I mean off the dribble.
    What him catch the ball off a curl, bounce the ball once and take a shot? No that not off the dribble.

Quote Originally Posted by eliteballer
    Bird would murder him in the post, Pippen was a weak post defender
    Take a look at this vid of pippens defense. In it, he defends, barkley, webber, ewing, terry cummings, and danny manning in the post. And I m talking all facets of post play, be it straight up post position defense, fronting (notice how barkley tries to root and and push him off the block and flatout cant), and how webber and ewing try to back him down.

Also notice how often he's able to block his opponants jumpshot. And the man defense he's able to play.

And how many chase down blocks he gets ala lebron james.

http://m.youtube.com/index?desktop_u...?v=N9vFHYVXtRk

What him catch the ball off a curl, bounce the ball once and take a shot? No that not off the dribble.
    are you trying to say the dude never drove to the hoop? because that just isn't true

Quote Originally Posted by ralph_i_el
    are you trying to say the dude never drove to the hoop? because that just isn't true
    He's just a huge troll. Talking like Reggie Miller and Scottie Pippen are in the same league as Larry Bird LOL

Quote Originally Posted by ralph_i_el
    Off course not. Bird has also dunked but I wouldn't call him a high-flyer.

He's just a huge troll. Talking like Reggie Miller and Scottie Pippen are in the same league as Larry Bird LOL
    I said millers offensive game is similar to birds. And pippens not that far off from bird

I said millers offensive game is similar to birds. And pippens not that far off from bird
    This thread is full of fail.

Some posters not giving Bird his due and others propping him up as the GOAT

GTFO
    Last edited by TheMan; 01-24-2012 at 11:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TheMan
    This thread is full of fail.

Some posters not giving Bird his due and others propping him up as the GOAT

GTFO
    How am I not giving bird his due by comparing his offensive game to reggie millers? Both were great shooters, who used picks and screens to get open. You guys thinks he's the only person capable of scoring like that? My god why are you guys acting as if bird can walk on water, and change water to wine?

Andre iguodalas game is very similar to scottie pippens. Is that an insult to pippen?

I used that miller/bryant comparison to show how hard it is for a guy without a strong iso game limited dribble, and weak as a man defender, to beat a guy wiith a strong iso game and can play defense. Most if not all of birds strengths aren't gonna manifest themselves in a game of 1 on 1 vs a super talented athlete, and defender that can dribble and has a decent jumper.

How am I not giving bird his due by comparing his offensive game to reggie millers? Both were great shooters, who used picks and screens to get open. You guys thinks he's the only person capable of scoring like that? My god why are you guys acting as if bird can walk on water, and change water to wine?

Andre iguodalas game is very similar to scottie pippens. Is that an insult to pippen?

I used that miller/bryant comparison to show how hard it is for a guy without a strong iso game limited dribble, and weak as a man defender, to beat a guy wiith a strong iso game and can play defense. Most if not all of birds strengths aren't gonna manifest themselves in a game of 1 on 1 vs a super talented athlete, and defender that can dribble and has a decent jumper.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eeULq...e_gdata_player
    watch this video and tell me what part of Miller's you see in it, especially his passing.

Look, I'm a fellow Bulls fan, I have no beef with you but when you compare Miller to Bird, well, that's just nonsense.

Bird was much more than a 3pt shooter which was basically all Miller was, Bird could post up, make the right pass and even though he wasn't the fastest guy on the floor, ran a fast break really well.Bird>>>>Miller

The original idea of this thread was who would win between Pip and Bird in a 1v1, we all have different opinions on that, I happen to think Pip could win solely on the fact that Pip was an elite defender ad man defense wasn't Larry's greatest attribute, I could be wrong but we'll never know unless someonei nvents a time machine...one thing for sure, it would be fun to watch.
    Last edited by TheMan; 01-24-2012 at 02:12 PM.