Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 291011121314 LastLast

Thread: Can you dunk??

Learning to shoot layups

Default Re: Can you dunk??

I have before, legit 2 handed dunk on a 10 foot rim, 2 times in a row, been like a month and a half, haven't done one since, gotten close, I am 6 feet tall with a wing span of like 6'4 last I measured, I weigh 140 lbs, can't palm the ball, but I pretty much always get the needed height with one or two hands, I just don't have the confidence to put it down I guess.

Decent playground baller

been working on my jump and i can attest to that its easier to dunk off 1 foot than 2. especially off the dribble with the ball in your hands too, off 2 you really need a good arm swing, and thats inhibited when youre holding the ball. theres less of a difference if you lob the ball to yourself though, but i still feel like i can stretch out a bit higher off 1

Local High School Star 2swift4u's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Underballer
    been working on my jump and i can attest to that its easier to dunk off 1 foot than 2. especially off the dribble with the ball in your hands too, off 2 you really need a good arm swing, and thats inhibited when youre holding the ball. theres less of a difference if you lob the ball to yourself though, but i still feel like i can stretch out a bit higher off 1
    I agree. Most small players I know who can dunk are doing it off 1 foot. For the reason you mentioned. Unfortunately I'm a 2 foot jumper and I simply can't jump with the ball in my hands because I really need that full arm swing. So I have to try it with a lob to myself. Last night I almost put one down. Unfortunately the ball rattled out. That would have been my very first dunk ever. I really hope I'll make one soon...
    Last edited by 2swift4u; 07-02-2015 at 09:24 AM.

High School Starter

if u have to emphasize dunking 2 times in a row successfully that ain't dunking lol or u are pretty much borderline not able to dunk.

at my peak i can touch 11'4. I'm 6'1.5. Could do 180, dunk from behind dotted line..dunk from standstill (and i'm a 1 foot jumper). Can dunk very effortlessly.

But i'm 33 now haven't tried dunking for like 2 years and rarely exercise lol.

Easily
    6'ish got a 34 inch verti
    heres somethin i posted from the ISH challenge and nah i dont jump off both feet or do 2 handers in game

the vid i was drillin other stuff with my team but the link has personal info on it so im not postin youtube

Yup but I worked my ass off to get it one summer. In NY there are literally parks everywhere so from 12-9 I balled/biked all day. That was my prime summer. I was going into my junior year and there was no way I was going to let the new kids on varsity take my starting spot (I played vars sophmore year but wasnt a starter since the SG was a senior who beat my ass daily). After a month of intense training I decided why dont I try to touch rim and I touched it. I had no idea I had bounce like that because during the season I could just clap. By October I was throwing it down.

What a summer

But believe me I really really worked hard for it. Like at least 25-35 miles a day. I probably switched parks 6-7 times throughout the day. Alternating to parks where I can get good games, and parks where I could just practice by myself.

Also stopped smoking. At night I would just drink or pop stupid shit with my un athletic boys

NBA rookie of the year senelcoolidge's Avatar

Not anymore for sure, but back in high school when I played basketball everyday. 6'1" without shoes. I didn't have a great vertical leap but I think my long arms helped. They helped me to block shots at my size.

Very good NBA starter

Hit my first dunk last night on 9'10

Tried 10 feet but kept backrimming. Hopefully gonna get it down on 10 by the end of summer.

I've been able to dunk for the last two years but now I can windmill.

Very good NBA starter

I'm 183cm about 6 feet and could never dunk. With a tennis ball yes, and 'almost' dunking with a ball. Not close to dunking in a game. Used to bother me a great deal and there wasn't any kind of dunking training program like the Vert Bible back then.

Yup.. Then again I'm practically a big man.

NBA Superstar

I'm closing in on 32 years old in a couple of weeks. At 6'3'' with a 6'3'' wingspan, I couldn't afford to lose many inches off my vert when it comes to dunking. But it's happening.

As mentioned on the previous page, I'm still getting in-game opportunities where I finish above the rim with teammates saying "Shoulda dunked that!" In hindsight I'm not sure if I'm high enough for those plays to be certainties.

I think I had two in-game dunks in 2015, that I remember anyway. They happened within a short span of time and were both very clean certainties. Then I hit the road for over a month and got away from the game. Haven't dunked in a game since, though winter can oftentimes be dormant when it comes to game availability.

It's also interesting how my body kind of just doesn't feel like trying to dunk during warm-ups or practice or whatever. In all seriousness, I can still get up pretty well but whereas in my 20's someone telling me to dunk would make me say, "Aight, I'll give it a go", now it's totally a thing where it's like, "Aw man, do I have to?"

The weird inner disincentive to dunk makes me think I can't. But then when I actually get around to giving it a go, I'm up way higher than I figured I would be. I think my mind/body is playing tricks on me. Classic 30-year-old stuff.

yer but barely. getting older.

Saw a basketball once

Quote Originally Posted by MetsPackers View Post
    I know I can. dunking is is probably one of my most valuble bball skills! I looove dunking, and please believe the ladies do too loll

They be like and i be like then then she be like
    and i be like

Can any'ya fools dunk??
    Favorite comment of all the time

Saw a basketball once

Quote Originally Posted by blazersfan52 View Post
    I have before, legit 2 handed dunk on a 10 foot rim, 2 times in a row, been like a month and a half, haven't done one since, gotten close, I am 6 feet tall with a wing span of like 6'4 last I measured, I weigh 140 lbs, can't palm the ball, but I pretty much always get the needed height with one or two hands, I just don't have the confidence to put it down I guess.
    You can always practice on a 8 foot rim to get that confidence and technique built up