Default If you had to _______ for _______ would you do it?

So, if you had to restrict and discipline yourself to no more than 650 calories per day for the next three years and at the end of the three years you receive 2 million USD - would you do it?

If you say yes, what would your diet consist of on a normal day to day basis? I know it sounds easy on paper ... but being realistic this is much more difficult than it seems. I'm just curious how folks would manage such a restricted calorie-per-day intake.

Default Re: If you had to _______ for _______ would you do it?

Not that hard actually. Easy money.
    http://www.calorieguide.org/the-600-calorie-diet/

Quote Originally Posted by ihoopallday
    Not that hard actually. Easy money.
    http://www.calorieguide.org/the-600-calorie-diet/
    Even for health-cray fanatics this isn't a cakewalk. Not even close. You make it sound like it is... I'm not buying it...

Do you know how difficult it is to even do a 1200 per day diet? We're talking almost half that. So ... "not that hard actually" I'm not buyin' ...

No because i would die.

3500 calories = 1 pound.

Let's say I need 2000 a day to function, and that's an estimate on the low end.

650 calories a day means i'm at a 1350 deficit PER day.

That means a week i'm at a deficit of 9450. I'm losing about 2.5 pounds a week.

That means i'm losing 130 pounds in the first year alone.

A diet like that for 3 years would kill you.
    Last edited by BigBoss; 08-20-2014 at 11:05 PM.

NBA Legend

Not even remotely worth it.

That $2M would all go into medical costs to help you recover. No thanks.

Make no mistake about it ... it's possible ... and you could "make it" ... but not without a little pain and suffering. Obviously the first 4-6 months would be the most difficult, but once your anatomy had adjusted I think it'd be for lack of a better term downhill from there. It's just that after years or even decades of being acclimated to a 2-3k per day consumption normality suddenly restricting yourself to a mere 650 daily intake seems like torture but like I said this is doable. It would just take will.

Quote Originally Posted by Josh
    Make no mistake about it ... it's possible ... and you could "make it" ... but not without a little pain and suffering. Obviously the first 4-6 months would be the most difficult, but once your anatomy had adjusted I think it'd be for lack of a better term downhill from there. It's just that after years or even decades of being acclimated to a 2-3k per day consumption normality suddenly restricting yourself to a mere 650 daily intake seems like torture but like I said this is doable. It would just take will.
    Would you do it?

Quote Originally Posted by Josh
    You can't be serious. This would result in massive starvation.
    At 5'10" and 170 lbs, I need to eat 2400 calories/day to maintain my current weight. Eating less would obviously result in weight loss.
    2-3 years of eating 650 calories a day would make the average person deathly thin. It wouldn't just take will to do this. It would also take stupidity, risk of death and definite reduction of health.

Quote Originally Posted by BigBoss
    No because i would die.

3500 calories = 1 pound.

Let's say I need 2000 a day to function, and that's an estimate on the low end.

650 calories a day means i'm at a 1350 deficit PER day.

That means a week i'm at a deficit of 9450. I'm losing about 2.5 pounds a week.

That means i'm losing 130 pounds in the first year alone.

A diet like that for 3 years would kill you.
    Not entirely true. As you lose weight the number of calories you need to maintain your body decreases. So that 2000 number would decrease. You'd still starve but your body would fight the weight loss. You'd lose weight at a slower rate as your weight dropped.

I'm not sure if it's youtube but they did a starvation experiment after world war II in Minnesota I believe. I watched it in my nutrition class. It's worth a watch. It was actually interesting what happens to the mind when the body goes into starvation mode.

Banned

they did studies after the war restricted soldiers to 1200-850 I believe calories a day and a bunch suffered major health problems. They were doing exercise as well but they pretty much starved. So no i wouldn't.

Sunshine State

What if...

You had penises for fingers, but you'd get 2 million dollars for it. This is a much better question.