Page 1 of 18 123411 ... LastLast

Default ISH Book/Movie Club

I've been tossing around the idea of starting a book club on ISH for a while and I'd like to gauge the interest of others. I'd like to have somewhere to have good analytical discussions about books, philosophy, and film and ISH has a lot of smart, thoughtful people. The podcasts and articles on Grantland's film section like Wesley Morris' stuff really has me interested in putting more time and thought into analyzing books and movies.

We tried it once before but the amount of reading we first attempt was probably too much. This time around I'd like to try something with less reading and more focus on good discussions. Reading length will be short like maybe a few chapters or parts of books. I'd like to branch out to movie to so that we can all pick a good movie to watch and discuss it.

I will bump this a couple of times to see if we can get a group of people to commit. Let me know if you are interested and we can figure out the details once we know we have a solid group of participants. So far the people who have expressed an interest in joining are:

Jailblazers7
    Ridonks
    Nanners
    That_Admiral
    Thorpe
    riseagainst
    sunsfan1357
    Wavves
    irondarts
    BoogieWoogie
    macmac
    Bird
    ShannonElements
    Anti Hero
    Smoke117
    J$
    Stempel_HERB
    B-Hoop
    Zen

Movies only:
    ProfessorMurder
    KyleKong
    ROCSteady
    bballnoob
    moe
    Last edited by Jailblazers7; 07-25-2014 at 04:52 PM.

Default Re: ISH Book/Movie Club

I'd be interested in the movie side of it.

Banned

Do we have a thread just to post what we've been reading like the rate you're last movie thread? I'm not interested in a book club (god knows I've already got an entire book shelf left of back log to read through) but would be cool to be able to post reviews and find inspiration for new books to pick up.

kings fan

More like ISH Wussy Club. **** outta here, Read and Rainbow mother****ers.

Celtics 2016 Champs

keen !

NBA sixth man of the year Thorpesaurous's Avatar

I can't remember who it was, but somebody on here started a film message board once. I thought it was pretty good, but it didn't catch on.

It was a good idea though. It was sort of an open to spoilers kind of a place, where you could discuss the things you've seen, rather than the delicate dancing around of stuff that goes on in the Rate the Last movie thread, which is awesome, but just too big to really navigate if you're looking for something specific.

We do have a What're you reading thread in here too. Reading is such slow going, and there are so many options, and people's tastes so diverse, it's hard to find concensus enough to have any real discussion. Maybe two people read the same thing you did. So something more focused would be cool. But reading is tricky. I probably read 4 or 5 books a year, which is seemingly more than most, but only a fraction of what most people do. I tried to join a local book club once, but there were too many things I had to read that I just couldn't get into, and it occupies a lot of time for something that you may not enjoy. Especially when you put a time table on it. I just ripped through the newest Zodiac Killer Theory book out there. But finding people looking to discuss something like that would be tricky.

You know what would be a great idea, is if Nook had a message board connecting to the books you buy to a universal discussion page on the specific books you buy.

Anyway ... I'd totally give it a shot.

rank sentamentalist

yea i'm definitely in if we can find enough committed people. im going to send a few pm's to ishers who might be interested but don't frequent ish as often as they used to. nice to hear thorpe's in too!

i dunno how frequent the movie side of things will be... i'm more interested in books tbh and i thought jb feels the same way. we just threw in movies for the hell of it. maybe we could go back and forth on it?

you're right thorpe that it'll be tricky to agree on readings. the idea started from a desire to discuss and dissect philosophy texts. the vast majority of people aren't going to be very interested in doing this and i can't blame them, i can't stand a lot of that stuff either. but still, i'm hoping we cover some philosophy, but mostly of a socio-political / economic nature. maybe some pop science. and definitely some literature as well.

but it won't be entire books since yea, six weeks would be too long and people would either forget or give up or not bother. abridged readings, sections of texts we can find online, short stories or novellas. it'll be particularly fun to find texts that either overlap or contradict one another to get a few perspectives going.

hopefully some others might be interested in joining..

Never mind, I don't want to be in this. Too many self-loathing intellects in here already.

Yeah, I'm more interesting in reading but I figured that we would get more interest from the movie side of things. Maybe we can do a cycle where doing a reading then a movie or something.

I'd be cool with the type of reading Ridonks just laid out. In fact, the New Yorker just started republishing a collection of articles by John Brooks who was a great business writer in the 1960s and 1970s. The articles are really good examples of longform journalism which might be a good style of readings for a group like this.

Let's do movies.

No one will read a book.

rank sentamentalist

Quote Originally Posted by Meticode
    Never mind, I don't want to be in this. Too many self-loathing intellects in here already.

yeah jb i really like the ideas of long form journalism and essays. much easier to find online too.

i wonder if guys like dresta, starface, slver would be interested... they would definitely add an interesting component lol

count me in bruh.

In for either

I'd be interested in taking part in this. Been trying to get reading so it would be good to be around people who can guide me in the right direction Huge movie buff too.

very nice idea we well start with my favorite book
    #

these are very nice book about kalli , that go to store , these book well male you think and make you crying . very nice iceland literature