Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Local High School Star indiefan23's Avatar

Default Re: Big Baby Davis Was Taken 35'th

Quote Originally Posted by GOBB
    Overweight, undersized PF with conditioning issues. Not as athletic as his peers in the draft class. Wasnt coming off a spectacular college season entering the draft where his stock was much higher a year prior. Teams have experiemented with players Big Baby size and saw it not work out, see Tractor Traylor.

Where should he have gone in your eyes? There have been greater steals in the 2nd round so this isnt some tragic situation to see him go early 2nd round.
    Borderline lottery, that's where he should have gone. How is being the reason your team makes the final four not spectacular? Tractor Trailer was a fat joke... he had none of Davis's skills or mobility.

Quote Originally Posted by indiefan23
    Big Baby's skills for a big man his size were off the charts out of college. Being fat didn't stop him from being a dominant college player. Being fat didn't stop Chuck from being one of the best 4's ever.
    There is no comparison from Charles Barkley to Glen Davis lets make that clear. And being fat and dominant in college doesnt always transition well when you are 6'8, 6'8 at best weighing close to if not over 300lbs. Good for college not good for the NBA. Smarten up.

I mean, seriously, did anyone think he couldn't learn to hit a jumper? Even at a large weight in college he was still a very good athlete and used his size/speed to create mismatches no one could handle. How many guys with his weight/size advantage could finish at the rim like him out of college? And you know, slim fast is cheap. ;0
    He had a set jumper in college. Really not much elivation on his shot due to his weight. He got away with playing like a guard as a big man but he would never get away with that in college. There are alot of things Big Baby was able to do/get away with in college he wouldnt in the NBA. That all went against him come draft time where you look for player with potential that have high ceilings. What mismatches does Big Baby create being a overweight, undersize PF?

Yes slim fast is cheap. Cute.

I still don't get how you get him at 35. How do you seriously sit there and say oh yea, Petteri Koponen, lets take him when a proven star is still there. I don't even know how you take immobile Nick Fazekes over him or the chairman who went a silly 5'th. Or even Corey Brewer. That draft year is one of the serious mysteries to me.
    Potential its that simple. Nick wasnt undersized. Corey Brewer was one of if not the best perimeter defender in college.

Proven star is who? Big Baby? lol Surely this isnt a knee jerk reaction from hitting a GWer and having some productive games for Boston. Nah you're smarter than that.

I just don't understand how people worked him out and didn't see how well his skills translated to the NBA game.
    Because Big Baby at that time didnt look like Big Baby today.

Borderline lottery, that's where he should have gone. How is being the reason your team makes the final four not spectacular? Tractor Trailer was a fat joke... he had none of Davis's skills or mobility.
    You are wrong.

You are wrong.
    No, I'm totally right. Robert Traylor was not that kind of athlete. He moved in slow motion. He didn't make up and under reverse layups to avoid shot blockers and get the and 1. You're wrong gobby.

"Go Big or Go Home" miniharrison37's Avatar

He's overweight. Can't run. At LSU wasn't very good at shooting.

There is no comparison from Charles Barkley to Glen Davis lets make that clear.
    They're different players but being fat does not mean you're going to be a poor NBA player like you guys used as justification, and Barkley is a great example of that arguably being the GOAT 4. And he'd lost like, 40 pounds since HS.

He had a set jumper in college. Really not much elivation on his shot due to his weight. He got away with playing like a guard as a big man but he would never get away with that in college. There are alot of things Big Baby was able to do/get away with in college he wouldnt in the NBA. That all went against him come draft time where you look for player with potential that have high ceilings. What mismatches does Big Baby create being a overweight, undersize PF?
    Uh, yea, he's doing it all in the NBA. Being 6'8", heavy and as mobile as he was made him nearly unguardable. He went around other 4's/5's and overpowered 3's.

Potential its that simple. Nick wasnt undersized. Corey Brewer was one of if not the best perimeter defender in college.

Proven star is who? Big Baby? lol Surely this isnt a knee jerk reaction from hitting a GWer and having some productive games for Boston. Nah you're smarter than that.

Because Big Baby at that time didnt look like Big Baby today.
    Wow, college players don't look the same as they do after 2-3 years in the NBA? REALLY? His potential absolutely did look like that though while those other guys looked totally questionable. You just said that a 310 lb player who played like a guard wasn't athletic. Do you know how dumb that is?
    Last edited by indiefan23; 05-11-2009 at 10:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by miniharrison37
    He's overweight. Can't run. At LSU wasn't very good at shooting.
    Heh, he was over weight. But how can you say he couldn't run? He was as unique an athlete as there was. I mean, you can look at things two ways. 1. he's fat. or 2. if he plays like this now, what happens when he drops another 30 pounds?

And to those who are saying he only developed this summer, Big Baby was winning games for the Celtics in their playoff run last year too. Is it that tough for you guys to admit your fave teams just screwed up?

Sexy like MUSTARD

Quote Originally Posted by gyu
    Correct.
    No. Incorrect. He had the skills. He had the tenacity. And he's a winner. 25? yes. 35? HELL NO.

Local High School Star

If you look at his entire career, and not just his most recent FGA, as short as it's been that sounds about right. Remember that the first half of this season or so he was arguably the worst rotation player in the league.

He had a fantastic season and really stepped it up when KG went down. It miffs me that this thread is made because of one shot though. People suddenly think he's the steal of the century because of one wide open jumper.

No, I'm totally right. Robert Traylor was not that kind of athlete. He moved in slow motion. He didn't make up and under reverse layups to avoid shot blockers and get the and 1. You're wrong gobby.
    You clearly didnt watch him in college.

Quote Originally Posted by BigOjMayo
    No. Incorrect. He had the skills. He had the tenacity. And he's a winner. 25? yes. 35? HELL NO.
    Exactly, it was a really strong draft so ok, he slips to the 20's. I understand taking Noah over him. Durant/Horford sure. Oden I spose you had to. But Mike Conley Jr 5'th and Acie Law 11'th over a guy with that kind of coordination, a fully developed array of offensive moves and played with heart? How can you look at a guy like that, fat or not, and say "I don't think he's got it in him to lose 30 pounds of blubber when he'll be playing a game 3 nights a week." How?

I'm just saying, I know all the reasons given so far. I didn't accept them then. I don't accept them now. 35'th and he's looking like he ceiling is getting higher with every game.

Quote Originally Posted by Jailblazers7
    He had a fantastic season and really stepped it up when KG went down. It miffs me that this thread is made because of one shot though. People suddenly think he's the steal of the century because of one wide open jumper.
    I told you, I said it on draft day just as loudly.

What about when he saved the Celtics from elimination last year then? We can talk about that. How do you take that guy 35'th? And seriously? One shot? He's not just covering KG's spot... the celtics are going to him and he carries that team for long stretches. Its all the same player.

Exactly, it was a really strong draft so ok, he slips to the 20's. I understand taking Noah over him. Durant/Horford sure. Oden I spose you had to. But Mike Conley Jr 5'th and Acie Law 11'th over a guy with that kind of coordination, a fully developed array of offensive moves and played with heart? How can you look at a guy like that, fat or not, and say "I don't think he's got it in him to lose 30 pounds of blubber when he'll be playing a game 3 nights a week." How?

I'm just saying, I know all the reasons given so far. I didn't accept them then. I don't accept them now. 35'th and he's looking like he ceiling is getting higher with every game.
    Coming out of college he was a streaky shooter, less than stellar defensively, and had poor stamina. His weight fluctuated in college and scouts had no reason to believe that would change. No coach wants their young PF coming into camp 30 lbs. overwieght. He showed signs of brillance in college but he wasn't consistent enough. He always had a good heart and motor which has served him well. Now that he is in shape and can knock down the open jumper he is a very good role player.

You just said that a 310 lb player who played like a guard wasn't athletic. Do you know how dumb that is?
    How is it dumb? You have trouble taking college and the NBA game. Teams didnt want a big man his size, undersized trying to take guys off the dribble and not play to his strengths which is downlow, around the basket. He wasnt Charles Barkley with handles here. Hardly dumb. It seems you didnt watch much beyond the hype of the Final 4. It seems you struggle to evaluate a player in college and how his game would make the transition to the pro game. To me thats dumb. Dumb is acting like Tractor Traylor wasnt a mobile big man at Michigan.

Seriously 1 shot and you are making this thread with silly statements. What team should have drafted him indie? Tell me. You ask why Corey Brewer got drafted higher. What was Florida doing with Brewer? Brewer was shutting down offensive players. He was a big part of Floridas dominance. You use the final 4 nonsense with Big Baby, but ignore Brewers impact at Florida?