Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    NBA rookie of the year

Default One of the biggest misconceptions in the NBA

This has annoyed me for a long time. People always say "Shaq often showed up to camp out of shape"

From an article prior to the 1999-2000 season.

Without a solid partner under the boards, the 7'1" O'Neal has a heavy load to carry. Jackson wishes that weren't so literally true. Although he won't say what he thinks his center's ideal weight is, Jackson has made it clear that he thinks O'Neal played with too many pounds last season, and he wasn't thrilled when big Shaq reported to training camp roughly the size of a small shack -- not particularly flabby, just huge. O'Neal said he weighed in at 340 pounds, at least 10 heavier than last season. "The more I lift weights, the higher the number's going to be," O'Neal says. "I'm not really concerned about numbers. I'll bust any big man's butt no matter what I weigh."
    http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/bas...iew/teams/lal/

So some people thought Shaq was too heavy heading into the 1999-2000 season.

Shaq at 340 pounds on media day 1999.

Shaq went on to have his best season and probably the greatest season a center has ever had. He led the league in scoring, finished second in rebounding, third in blocks and 1st in FG% while leading the Lakers to an NBA best 67 wins. He also led the Lakers to a 12-3 record in the games Kobe missed and he played. His numbers for the regular season were 29.7 ppg, 13.6 rpg, 3.8 apg, 3.0 bpg, 57.4 FG%, his playoff numbers were 30.7 ppg, 15.4 rpg, 3.1 apg, 2.4 bpg, 56.6 FG%, his Finals numbers were 38.0 ppg, 16.7 rpg, 2.3 apg, 2.7 bpg, 61.1 FG%. Of course he was awarded regular season and finals MVP but he also finished 2nd in defensive player of the year voting. Shaq also played over 40 minutes per game in the regular season, over 43 minutes in the playoffs and over 45 in the Finals.

The next season Shaq was clearly a bit heavier despite it being reported he was down to 325 pounds. He was probably in the 350-360 range but continued to dominate the league.

He finished 3rd in scoring, 3rd in rebounding, 5th in blocks, 1st in FG% and led the Lakers to 56 wins while the Western Conference was as tough as it's ever been. In the regular season he averaged 28.7 ppg, 12.7 rpg, 3.7 apg, 2.8 bpg, 57.2 FG%, in the playoffs 30.4 ppg, 15.4 rpg, 3.2 apg, 2.4 bpg, 55.5 FG% and in the Finals he averaged 33.0 ppg, 15.8 rpg, 4.8 apg, 3.4 bpg and 57.2 FG% against defensive player of the year Dikembe Mutombo. Shaq also led the Lakers to a 15-1 record in the playoffs which is the best in NBA history and of course he won Finals MVP and the title. He was robbed of regular season MVP as well. The fact that he finished 3rd in voting that year is the single biggest travesty in NBA history. He played 39.5 minutes per game during the regular season over 42 during the playoffs and 45 mpg in the Finals.

In 2002 during the playoffs it was reported that he weighed 382 pounds. Yet he was still dominating the league. People joked about his weight and thought he was too heavy then too. Here is an example.

Heck, one scout says O'Neal weighed in at 382 before the playoffs, which would make him the heaviest athlete in major professional sports. Hockey's Steve McKenna is officially 255 and baseball's Calvin Picketing tips in at 278. The blubberiest NFL player, Cowboys lineman Aaron Gibson, is 380 pounds, making him at least worthy of the same scale as O'Neal's. Little wonder Burger King's Shaq pack is a bacon cheeseburger, fries (with melted cheese for dipping) and a Coke, not a grilled chicken sandwich, a side of arugula and a Crystal Light.
    http://www.accessmylibrary.com/coms2...6-11372454_ITM

Shaq at 382 pounds during the playoffs in 2002.

During the regular season Shaq finished second in scoring and 1st in FG% averaging 27.2 ppg, 10.7 rpg, 3.0 apg, 2.0 bpg, 57.9 FG%, in the playoffs he averaged 28.5 ppg, 12.6 rpg, 2.8 apg, 2.5 bpg, 52.9 FG% and in the Finals he averaged 36.3 ppg, 12.3 rpg, 3.8 apg, 2.75 bpg and 59.5 FG%. Once again he won the title and Finals MVP and while his minutes were cut to just over 36 per game during the regular season, he averaged nearly 41 for the playoffs and over 41 in the Finals. He also led the Lakers to 58 wins which was good for 2nd in the league and he finished 3rd in MVP voting.

I don't know how much Shaq weighed in 2002-2003 but he looked bigger than he did the previous season when he was 382 pounds. That season he averaged 27.5 ppg, 11.1 rpg, 3.1 apg, 2.4 bpg, 57.4 FG% and a career best 62.2 FT%. He also played nearly 38 mpg and the only reason the team only won 50 games was because Samaki Walker and Slava Medvedenko started a lot of games, 6 players on the team shot below 40% and their older role players declined a lot. The team was 45-22 in the games Shaq played. The Lakers also beat the higher seeded Timberwolves in the first round and gave the Spurs a pretty tough series in the second round. If Robert Horry's shot didn't rim out in game 5 then the Lakers most likely would have won their 4th straight title. And that was with Shaq at around 400 pounds that season.

Shaq at 332 pounds
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=wL6CYWJcx_I
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=AMX1FGwyr38
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=R6vmwGwlq1Q
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=Dy-0RWbbzd8

Shaq at 340 pounds
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=WRZLS-cMTtA
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=xz6EmBWGQnE
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=8w77-64MXC0
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=q6XBAZglfmE

Shaq at 350-360 pounds
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=aCvTmmj6QUo

Shaq at 382 pounds
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=6pqww6GBHcE
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=5Eu2NrAqQr4

Shaq at around 400 pounds
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=kVsWuHblBwU

So if Shaq was by far the best player every season from 1999-2000 to 2001-2002 then how was he out of shape considering he still had his athletic ability? I don't see how the most athletic and dominant big man could be out of shape.

Yet another misconception about Shaq. Instead of appreciating what he's done everyone just looks to try to diminish what he's done.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Myth's Avatar

Default Re: One of the biggest misconceptions in the NBA

Quote Originally Posted by VCMVP1551
    Yet another misconception about Shaq. Instead of appreciating what he's done everyone just looks to try to diminish what he's done.
    Looks like you have misconceptions as well

Very strong arguements can be made that everytime shaq made a play on offense, he committed an offensive foul. People bash shaq because of this and because he isn't particularly talented, just gargantuan.

NBA rookie of the year

Quote Originally Posted by lacasner
    Very strong arguements can be made that everytime shaq made a play on offense, he committed an offensive foul. People bash shaq because of this and because he isn't particularly talented, just gargantuan.
    That was quite possibly the dumbest thing I've read on this board.

A couple of things-
    1. There's a difference betwee mucle mass and fat. "Flab" implies fat, which what being out of shape does generally.

2. As he get's older and his body wears down, that extra weight becomes harder to carry. Plus when you have more fat and less muscles compared to before, it becomes worse.

I get you're trying to defend shaq, but I think the reason his critics lashed out at him was becuase had he kept himself in shape he would've probably had an even more successful career than what he's ended up with.

Finalyl if you still don't believe he was out of shape when playing for the Lakers, compare him in LA vs his first two years in Miami when he was motivated. There was a huge difference.

NBA rookie of the year

Quote Originally Posted by shadow
    Finalyl if you still don't believe he was out of shape when playing for the Lakers, compare him in LA vs his first two years in Miami when he was motivated. There was a huge difference.
    In his prime in Los Angeles Shaq was averaging 27-30 ppg, 10-14 rpg, 3-4 apg, 2-3 bpg and shooting 57-58% on championship teams and championship contenders.

Shaq never approached that level with Miami. it's true he deserved the MVP in 2005 and he won a title in 2006 but in Los Angeles he was on a whole different level. Look at Shaq at 340 pounds, he doesn't look like he has much fat at all.

I hit open 5-foot jumpshots with ease

Quote Originally Posted by VCMVP1551
    So if Shaq was by far the best player every season from 1999-2000 to 2001-2002 then how was he out of shape considering he still had his athletic ability? I don't see how the most athletic and dominant big man could be out of shape.

He still had his athletic ability because Shaq, even at his weight, is still an incredible athlete. That doesn't mean he couldn't have shown up in better shape to be even more dominant than he was, which was always the knock on him.

Banned

National High School Star

Put yr guns up

Shaq did get away with a lot on offense, but it kind of evens out considering how defenders were allowed to play him.

Banned

Having watched the Lakers and heard commentary on many games..I often heard the listed weights on Shaq were incorrect in many instances.

I don't see how the most athletic and dominant big man could be out of shape.
    another ignorant statement....Anyone could be out of shape and Shaq started at least one season where he could not sustain his normal level of energy for full games. You could see him get really tired as games went on. But if your werent watching and just looking back on stats from 5 years ago instead of watching the games you wouldnt see that. You would just have youtube highlights, listed weights(which are never very accurate), and media day pictures
    Last edited by Younggrease; 07-08-2008 at 06:20 PM.

Imagine stepping in a European sports car weighing 400 LBS That's if your head can fit.

NBA lottery pick

averaged 27.5 ppg, 11.1 rpg, 3.1 apg, 2.4 bpg, 57.4 FG% and a career best 62.2 FT%. He also played nearly 38 mpg and the only reason the team only won 50 games was because Samaki Walker and Slava Medvedenko started a lot of games, 6 players on the team shot below 40% and their older role players declined a lot.

erm no. You're forgetting that Kobe Bryant was also on that team.

NBA rookie of the year

Quote Originally Posted by Younggrease
    Having watched the Lakers and heard commentary on many games..I often heard the listed weights on Shaq were incorrect in many instances.
    Yes that's why I listed him as his weights reported during the training camp as well as the weigh in prior to the 2002 playoffs, NOT his 315 listing.

Quote Originally Posted by Younggrease
    another ignorant statement....Anyone could be out of shape and Shaq started at least one season where he could not sustain his normal level of energy for full games. You could see him get really tired as games went on. But if your werent watching and just looking back on stats from 5 years ago instead of watching the games you wouldnt see that. You would just have youtube highlights, listed weights(which are never very accurate), and media day pictures
    I watched Shaq dominate the league for a 3rd straight season in 2001-2002. His problems weren't being out of shape but when he put off the toe surgery and it caused him to miss the first few weeks of the 2002-2003 season. He didn't struggle at all as a player in 2003 or 2004 it was more his attitude prior to 2002-2003.

Now you also have proven once again that you're a f*cking moron and didn't notice that Shaq wasn't listed 340 in 2000 nor was he ever listed near 382 pounds. Those were what were reported as his actual weights.

His listed weight was 315 in 1999-2000 and 2001-2002.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy2k8
    erm no. You're forgetting that Kobe Bryant was also on that team.
    What does that have to do with anything? I said the only reason that team didn't win more than they did was because of the garbage supporting cast. Kobe was a star at that point not part of the supporting cast.

NBA lottery pick

Then you misled me then.