Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Local High School Star CakeorDeath's Avatar

Default Re: Will this Jazz team ever contend?

Quote Originally Posted by BuffaloBill
    They need a PG. Burke/Exum might be the worst PG/backup combo in the league
    5 PGs on the roster now, one of whom is Burke and 3 of whom are potential replacements for Burke.

Jazz really believe in Exum. His defense is already good but he is a project offensively. Just turned 20 like 2 weeks ago. Way too early to know what he is yet.

Quote Originally Posted by ProfessorMurder
    Hire Thibs as head coach. Get a PG. Get a 20+ppg scorer.
    Why in the world would the Jazz hire Thibs? Snyder appears to be an excellent coach, especially on the defensive end and on player development.

Quote Originally Posted by Legends66NBA7
    Frontcourt wise, they are set. They need more firepower in the backcourt and bench.

Hayward is a good player but he can't carry a team all the way offensively.
    Burks was hurt pretty much all last season. Getting him back helps a lot.

Burks, Hayward, and Hood is a very solid swingman rotation. Hayward is the old man at 25.

WayOfWade
    Fan in the Stands (unregistered)

Quote Originally Posted by Jameerthefear
    Holy shit you're back! I was literally just thinking about you a day or two ago. Didn't recognize you. How was your trip?
    That's sweet how you were thinking about me a day or two ago. But yeah, my trip went great; I learned Spanish, talked to a ton of great people, and finally got back last Tuesday and was able to see my family for the first time. Good stuff

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Xiao Yao You's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FireDavidKahn
    You need superstars to win unless you can put together a historically great "team first" team like the Pistons a decade ago. Utah has no potential superstars right now. If everything goes right I can see them consistently contending as a 4-6 seed for a long time.
    They were the 6th best team in the whole league at the end of last year with no pg or back-up center. If Gobert stays healthy the sky is the limit for this team.

I say their ceiling is limited unless they become a dominant defensive team.
    They were playing at a historically great level to end the year.

Burke/Exum might be the worst PG/backup combo in the league
    Burke won't be playing. Doubt he's on the team.

I guess maybe Burke's value is so low it's not worth trading him?
    I'm guessing no one wants him.

picking better could help. 2013 draft was weak but in 2014 Elfrid was there in the 1st round.
    Hood, Gobert, Neto and now Lyles in the past 3 drafts is looking pretty good to me.

Really like Lyles. Think he's going to be a good one. Perfect size for a 4, fluid athlete and has a shot. Utah has one of the best front courts in Gobert, Favors and Booker. And if Lyles turns out like I think he will, he will only add to that depth.

Never understood why Evans hasn't panned out. He has special athleticism. But looks like an athlete playing ball without the skills.

Way too early to determine anything about Exum. But can't teach his size and solid athleticism.

Burke is another guy with all the tools. Still wouldn't give up on him yet.

Ingles seems like one of those really high bball iq guys who can set the table for his teammates.

Hayward is the guy who might determine just how far they go.

Overall, Utah has an extremely young and talented team. In the long run, they might need to find that one guy who can carry them offensively as "the man" if Hyaward isn't that guy but as is, I think they can squeeze into the playoffs this year.

Quote Originally Posted by ClipperRevival
    Really like Lyles. Think he's going to be a good one. Perfect size for a 4, fluid athlete and has a shot. Utah has one of the best front courts in Gobert, Favors and Booker. And if Lyles turns out like I think he will, he will only add to that depth.
    He looks like a player. He could help them most at the 5 right now I'd think.

Never understood why Evans hasn't panned out. He has special athleticism. But looks like an athlete playing ball without the skills.
    He had a nice year the year before last. The new staff didn't like him. Good pick-up for the Mavs.

Way too early to determine anything about Exum. But can't teach his size and solid athleticism.

Burke is another guy with all the tools. Still wouldn't give up on him yet.
    He does? He's slow. He's small. He's a gunner. He can't shoot. He can't defend. He got worse last year. Has to go. Neto and Cotton are better.

Ingles seems like one of those really high bball iq guys who can set the table for his teammates.
    Ended the year well last year.

Hayward is the guy who might determine just how far they go.
    Hood looks like he could be better than him.

Overall, Utah has an extremely young and talented team. In the long run, they might need to find that one guy who can carry them offensively as "the man" if Hyaward isn't that guy but as is, I think they can squeeze into the playoffs this year.
    They should be a top team but their off-season has been very disappointing.

Quote Originally Posted by Xiao Yao You
    He looks like a player. He could help them most at the 5 right now I'd think.

He had a nice year the year before last. The new staff didn't like him. Good pick-up for the Mavs.

He does? He's slow. He's small. He's a gunner. He can't shoot. He can't defend. He got worse last year. Has to go. Neto and Cotton are better.

Ended the year well last year.

They should be a top team but their off-season has been very disappointing.
    Regarding Burke, I try not to give up on guys with good athleticism. Burke has the quickness and explosiveness to get by guys and attack the basket. I'll be honest, haven't watched that much of him. But that's just me. If you have rare athleticism, I am more forgiving because you can teach skills but you can't teach athleticism.

You think Hood has a chance to be better than Hayward, who is a near max player? I know the guy can shoot but he didn't play much.

WayOfWade
    Fan in the Stands (unregistered)

Really? I wouldn't really be able to tell, considering the fact that I couldn't watch him this past year, and he was injured. Why do you think that though?

He was great after the all-star break. Rookie of the month in April.

Quote Originally Posted by ClipperRevival
    Regarding Burke, I try not to give up on guys with good athleticism. Burke has the quickness and explosiveness to get by guys and attack the basket. I'll be honest, haven't watched that much of him. But that's just me. If you have rare athleticism, I am more forgiving because you can teach skills but you can't teach athleticism.

You think Hood has a chance to be better than Hayward, who is a near max player? I know the guy can shoot but he didn't play much.
    Burke isn't athletic. He has hit some clutch shots. and doesn't turn the ball over but that is more because he doesn't make any tough passes. He's a bad fit for the team. Might be able to play for someone?

Burke isn't athletic. He has hit some clutch shots. and doesn't turn the ball over but that is more because he doesn't make any tough passes. He's a bad fit for the team. Might be able to play for someone?
    He's not Westbrook or prime Rose athletic but he has solid, NBA level athleticism for a PG. My point is, if he fails, it won't be because he wasn't athletic enough.

Very good NBA starter wally_world's Avatar

They need a shot creator in the backcourt or else they'll never have enough offence to contend

My 2k15 Jazz team traded a couple picks to move up for D'Angelo Russell and we're beastin

This Jazz team is just competing for a playoff spot which they probably won't even get. I don't see how they are just going to get 2 superstars out of nowhere which is the MINIMUM that you have to have now to compete for championships. Their ceiling is the Hawks of the west.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by CakeorDeath
    5 PGs on the roster now, one of whom is Burke and 3 of whom are potential replacements for Burke.

Jazz really believe in Exum. His defense is already good but he is a project offensively. Just turned 20 like 2 weeks ago. Way too early to know what he is yet.

They should believe in Exum. He has the tools to be a solid PG. His athleticism and court vision are pretty impressive. But they should have someone starting in front of him for now. He's too raw and far too passive. Jazz can't take the next step unless he does. He held them back a bit last season.