Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Any outdoor grillers here?

What do you use? What do you cook?

Right now I

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Default Re: Any outdoor grillers here?

I use a weber kettle - gas is for *******.

Smoked a brisket the other day and love doing chickens, pork butts and lamb shoulders.

Will get a pic in here later.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawker
    I use a weber kettle - gas is for *******.

Smoked a brisket the other day and love doing chickens, pork butts and lamb shoulders.

Will get a pic in here later.
    how difficult is doing a brisket?

i use charcoal as well but i've never liked the idea of smoking something over a long period of time. basically, if I can't cook it within a couple of hours while standing in front of it, i'd rather stay away.

Hey we all have to start somewhere. Anyone fvck around with smoked wood flavors?

https://www.charbroil.com/learn/smoking-wood-flavors/

Quote Originally Posted by egokiller
    Hey we all have to start somewhere. Anyone fvck around with smoked wood flavors?

https://www.charbroil.com/learn/smoking-wood-flavors/
    Just giving you a hard time. I still love gas grills for te basic stuff and you can actually do a long cook by manipulating the gas grill to smolder wood chips. Check out the YouTube page

[QUOTE=Hawker]Just giving you a hard time. I still love gas grills for te basic stuff and you can actually do a long cook by manipulating the gas grill to smolder wood chips. Check out the YouTube page

Too tired to discuss but brisket is amazeballs.

Very good NBA starter DukeDelonte13's Avatar

I have a $225 brinkman 4 burner grill that i converted to natural gas. It's 10 years old and needs to be replaced, as the main hood/body of the grill is starting to rust out. Replaced the burners and grates in it once. I've cooked everything on that motherf*cker.

I had a little charcoal smoker and I have an electric smoker. The electric smoker is 100x easier to use but is a real pain in the ass to clean out. Charcoal smokers, especially the smaller ones, are difficult to get a steady temperature which is key to long smokes. I have one of those masterbuilt electric smokers and the build quality on it is garbage. You get great results with it but those things are not built to last.

I'm looking to upgrade my shit though. Money is no object. Thinking about maybe one of those heavy duty units that functions as both. Maybe even one of those ceramic style units.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawker

Too tired to discuss but brisket is amazeballs.

Brisket is the most difficult meat to smoke and the most rewarding. Love me some brisket. Haven't done one yet this year.

Outdoor grilling is a tradition in my family, so I grew up learning how to prepare meat - cut, season, marinate etc - start a fire from practically nothing, use the spare heat for baking snacks even brewing tea/coffee while the charcoal is still hot.

My favourite set to grill is chicken drumsticks, cubed breast pieces and pork chops with a couple of corn on the cobs smeared with butter and asparagus added late to the foray.

People can hate on gas but it's the best for no-bullshit quick stuff like burgers, dogs and chicken and all that during the week. Even tossing veggies in a basket and sitting that thing on the gas grill does 'em good.

Quote Originally Posted by Derka
    People can hate on gas but it's the best for no-bullshit quick stuff like burgers, dogs and chicken and all that during the week. Even tossing veggies in a basket and sitting that thing on the gas grill does 'em good.

Natural gas is where it's at because who wants to f*ck around with propane tanks.

But I agree, nothing wrong with gas at all.

Dont H8 the Laker H8er glidedrxlr22's Avatar

I go basic. Kingsford charcoal and a basic grill. Those gas tanks make me nervous.

I like to make boneless chicken legs with bbq sauce, carne asada marinated in lemon juice and season salt...and boneless pork chops marinated in teriyaki sauce. I also sometimes throw some corn on their or some nopales.

Quote Originally Posted by highwhey
    how difficult is doing a brisket?

i use charcoal as well but i've never liked the idea of smoking something over a long period of time. basically, if I can't cook it within a couple of hours while standing in front of it, i'd rather stay away.
    I love it man but I get where you're coming from. Sometimes I like just doing a chicken or a rib roast because it takes <2 hrs.

I also don't have any barbecue restaurants where I live so this is the only way I can eat BBQ - by making it myself.

I picked up a pork butt from the butcher today and going to put it on the weber tomorrow. Will let ya'll know how it goes.

The brisket I posted in the photo took my 12.5 hrs from on the grill to on my plate. Got up at 4:45 AM...the only two times I get up that early are for work or brisket.
    Last edited by Hawker; 05-18-2019 at 04:27 AM.

This guy is a legend.