NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Smoke117's Avatar

Default Re: Franchise Player Breakdown - Gordon Hayward

He's not a franchise player.

Quote Originally Posted by Smoke117
    He's not a franchise player.
    Not a good one anyway.

I gave him a rather low rating. 2/5.

4- Decent and 5 would be contenders caliber.

Jimmy Butler and him have nearly identical stats from last season. He's not an all-star because there's so many strong forwards out West(Durant, Leonard, now Green, a dozen great PG's)

The Paterfamilias RedBlackAttack's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sammichoffate
    Jimmy Butler and him have nearly identical stats from last season. He's not an all-star because there's so many strong forwards out West(Durant, Leonard, now Green, a dozen great PG's)
    We have to take into account that Butler is a far superior defensive player, no? I can't imagine how good his on-ball defense would be with Gobert and Favors behind him.

I say that knowing that Hayward is really good. He's definitely comparable to Butler offensively ... more versatile probably.

Quote Originally Posted by RedBlackAttack
    We have to take into account that Butler is a far superior defensive player, no? I can't imagine how good his on-ball defense would be with Gobert and Favors behind him.

I say that knowing that Hayward is really good. He's definitely comparable to Butler offensively ... more versatile probably.
    He's a good defender, just not all-team defense like Butler or Leonard. He doesn't have personality issues like Butler, at the very least. I think he needs to be the leader of the team at this point if they're gonna make noise though.

Hayward is one of the most underrated guys in the league - but he has to take the Jazz to the playoffs to get rid of that label.

As the OP explained, Hayward has improved by leaps and bounds every year:
    5.4 ppg as a rookie. Then 11.8 ppg, then 14.1, then 16.2, then 19.3 and 20 ppg last year.

He can hit from 3 point land, take the ball to the basket, and is a good passer, rebounder & defender. Sometimes Hayward does dribble into traffic too much, making poor decisions, but he's a solid guard/forward.

Underrated, well-rounded player. Just not a first option type.

Quote Originally Posted by Gotterdammerung
    Hayward is one of the most underrated guys in the league - but he has to take the Jazz to the playoffs to get rid of that label.

As the OP explained, Hayward has improved by leaps and bounds every year:
    5.4 ppg as a rookie. Then 11.8 ppg, then 14.1, then 16.2, then 19.3 and 20 ppg last year.

He can hit from 3 point land, take the ball to the basket, and is a good passer, rebounder & defender. Sometimes Hayward does dribble into traffic too much, making poor decisions, but he's a solid guard/forward.
    He is fearless. You see him dunking on guys like Paul George, Lebron James and even big men without hesitating. That fearlessness sometimes lead to him jumping into traffic.

But I think that will change as he grows more mature and figures the game out more. I actually think he can do well in the playoff since his game isn't built on a march to the free throw line like Harden, Derozen and other perimeter stars.

Either way, I think his rebounding is going to decline (It already has) because there's only so much boards to have when you got guys like Exum and Gobert on your squad. But I do hope his passing will improve along with his field goal percentage.

Definetly underrated.
    But still a 2nd fiddle on a contending team imo.

If Hayward is a team's 3rd best player, then they are in DAMN GOOD SHAPE! Because often times, the 2nd best player on a team IS a superstar or close to one. For example, if he was on the Clippers he would add a lot to that squad. But u can't be a superstar if u AREN'T DOMINANT at anything! Gordon at this point isn't dominant at ANY FACET! Even guys like a peak Rondo could be a dominant passer, defender, and rebounder for his postion. But Gordon is good to very good at most things and he's All Star caliber. BUT NOWHERE CLOSE to superstar status.
    Last edited by bizil; 10-06-2016 at 05:09 PM.

Just some corrections. Hayward's career high is 37 which he notched against the Thunder in 2014, and he has reached 36 on a couple other occasions. However he only has about 10 thirty point games in his career. That's all just nitpicky though.
    I agree with you on most points of your argument though; I love hayward and love to watch him play, but until he actually carries the team (somewhat) deep in the playoffs, he'll just be a Kevin Love type of franchise star. Puts up good numbers, lead guy, white, but can't lead his team to the playoffs. This year will really determine his true value, no more excuses

Quote Originally Posted by WayOfWad3
    Just some corrections. Hayward's career high is 37 which he notched against the Thunder in 2014, and he has reached 36 on a couple other occasions. However he only has about 10 thirty point games in his career. That's all just nitpicky though.
    I agree with you on most points of your argument though; I love hayward and love to watch him play, but until he actually carries the team (somewhat) deep in the playoffs, he'll just be a Kevin Love type of franchise star. Puts up good numbers, lead guy, white, but can't lead his team to the playoffs. This year will really determine his true value, no more excuses
    Thanks mate!
    I'll edit the corrections, appreciated.

Glad you liked it.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Xiao Yao You's Avatar

That goes for the whole team. From the GM, coach, Favors, Exum, Hood, etc. They've all been getting a lot of hype for years now. The results have been very disappointing thus far though.

For his team to actually advance to the playoffs, I strongly believe that they need a better coach than Quin Snyder plus a much better PG. I am not saying their coach is really bad, but given the competition, having to face the likes of Pops, Rivers, Carlisle, Kerr etc plus no other great players to support him, I think it will be a reach to be in the playoffs.
    If you put Hayward in the Celtics uniform, esp the weaker East, I say his team advances. Not sure how far tho.

Quote Originally Posted by tamaraw08
    For his team to actually advance to the playoffs, I strongly believe that they need a better coach than Quin Snyder plus a much better PG. I am not saying their coach is really bad, but given the competition, having to face the likes of Pops, Rivers, Carlisle, Kerr etc plus no other great players to support him, I think it will be a reach to be in the playoffs.
    If you put Hayward in the Celtics uniform, esp the weaker East, I say his team advances. Not sure how far tho.
    I would love seeing him on the Celtics.
    Reunited with his Coach from Butler.