Page 1 of 10 1234 ... LastLast
    Clippers ALL DAY

Default Hakeem is not a top10 Player

I know he was a great player but I don't think his career is good enough to put him in the top10. Explain to me how he's a top10 player when he lost in the first or second round of playoffs pretty much his whole career.

He only has 4 decent playoff runs. 2 of them resulted in Rockets winning a 'ship thanks to Jordan. If Jordan didn't retire, I'm pretty sure Hakeem would en up without a ring. Other 2 were with pretty stacked teams.

I don't see how he can be ranked higher than players like Shaq, Duncan, Kobe, Dr. J. Maybe even Moses Malone?

Discuss.

Good High School Starter Miller for 3's Avatar

Default Re: Hakeem is not a top10 Player

you are slowly becoming one of the better trolls on this site. Good work!

Very good NBA starter

Is this thread?

Clippers ALL DAY

Quote Originally Posted by Miller for 3
    you are slowly becoming one of the better trolls on this site. Good work!
    Either contribute or GTFO.

Quote Originally Posted by GS1905
    I know he was a great player but I don't think his career is good enough to put him in the top10. Explain to me how he's a top10 player when he lost in the first or second round of playoffs pretty much his whole career.

He only has 4 decent playoff runs. 2 of them resulted in Rockets winning a 'ship thanks to Jordan. If Jordan didn't retire, I'm pretty sure Hakeem would en up without a ring. Other 2 were with pretty stacked teams.

I don't see how he can be ranked higher than players like Shaq, Duncan, Kobe, Dr. J. Maybe even Moses Malone?

Discuss.
    Hehehehehhe

Hakeem lost to Robert Parish in 1986 and then went 8 years without another finals appearance. All those fancy moves like the "dream walk" and he still averaged only 20 per game.

If I'm an NBA big man I'd emulate an actual scoring machine like Wilt Kareem or Shaq. Hakeem will only get you traveling violations
    Last edited by Big164; 08-23-2011 at 01:02 PM.

NBA rookie of the year

Quote Originally Posted by GS1905

Discuss.

First of all, which years did you wish that Hakeem should have taken his team further than what he did in the playoffs? Hakeem had some extremely bad supporting casts after he led the Rockets to the '86 finals and he had years being wasted alongside crappy players.

Even during the first title-run he had less help than most all-stars did when they won. Hakeem in '94 won without an all-star on his team and the 2nd best scorer of that team was Vernon Maxwell who averaged 13.8 points per game on 37% shooting.

Hakeem had more than 4 decent playoff-runs, if you don't think so, please name the 4 seasons you're thinking about. Hakeem is also the center who in the playoffs averaged most points per game, he was no choker, he raised his game when the playoffs started..

Michael Jordan's retirement ended in '95 and he played half of the season, his team got schooled by Orlando in the playoffs, the same Orlando Hakeem and Rockets swept in the finals. Regarding '94, no one knows how it would have ended but it's a fact that Hakeem is the only NBA superstar who didn't have a loosing record vs MJ..

Regarding Shaq, I have Shaq and Hakeem on the same place on my top 10 list and I wouldn't bother if anyone picked Shaq over Hakeem, you can't go wrong with any of them.

Duncan, no, in my eyes Hakeem had more game than Duncan and played in a tougher era as well. Dr J? Are you for real.. Moses is one of the most underrated player in my eyes but still he was no Hakeem.

Good High School Starter Miller for 3's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Big164
    Hakeem lost to Robert Parish in 1986 and then went 8 years without another finals appearance. All those fancy moves like the "dream walk" and he still averaged only 20 per game.

If I'm an NBA big man I'd emulate an actual scoring machine like Wilt Kareem or Shaq. Hakeem will only get you traveling violations
    Check his PS averages troll. And how much did you really expect him to win with those late 80s and early 90s supporting casts?

NBA rookie of the year

Quote Originally Posted by Big164

If I'm an NBA big man I'd emulate an actual scoring machine like Kareem or Shaq. Hakeem will only get you traveling violations
    Lost to Robert Parish? Are you an idiot? Hakeem outplayed Parish and it was McHale and Bird who both averaged more than 24 points per game during that series.

Hakeem in the 1986 finals averaged 24.7 points, 11.8 rebounds, 3.2 blocks, 2.3 steals and 1.8 assists per game.

Parish in the 1986 finals averaged 12.7 points, 6.8 rebounds, 1.7 blocks, 0.5 steals and 1 assists per game.

Hakeem didn't loose against Robert Parish, he outplayed him big time. He lost to a team with 5 Hall of Famers.

And regarding scoring machine, Hakeem is the center in the NBA with the highest scoring average in the playoffs..

Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

He dropped to 21and 22 a game twice after his rookie season. And in his lowest season he put up 21/14 4 blocks and 2 steals. So its not like he wasnt producing. He put up 23-24 a game in the 4 years before those 2 and 26-28 a game in the 4 years after them.

Not that his offense alone is why he was as great as he was.

If I'm an NBA big man I'd emulate an actual scoring machine like Kareem or Shaq. Hakeem will only get you traveling violations
    How would you plan to emulate either unless you were 7'1'' 350 or 7'3'' with long arms like Kareem? You cant realy emulate either of them. Hakeem was 6'10''. Just skilled as hell and quick. Average athletic bigman has a better chance of using elements of his game than theirs.

you can't stop me get these NETS's Avatar

to OP

between winning a ring with Oscar and Magic showing up in L.A.....what kind of playoff success did KAJ have?

Clippers ALL DAY

Quote Originally Posted by millwad
    First of all, which years did you wish that Hakeem should have taken his team further than what he did in the playoffs? Hakeem had some extremely bad supporting casts after he led the Rockets to the '86 finals and he had years being wasted alongside crappy players.

Even during the first title-run he had less help than most all-stars did when they won. Hakeem in '94 won without an all-star on his team and the 2nd best scorer of that team was Vernon Maxwell who averaged 13.8 points per game on 37% shooting.

Hakeem had more than 4 decent playoff-runs, if you don't think so, please name the 4 seasons you're thinking about. Hakeem is also the center who in the playoffs averaged most points per game, he was no choker, he raised his game when the playoffs started..

Michael Jordan's retirement ended in '95 and he played half of the season, his team got schooled by Orlando in the playoffs, the same Orlando Hakeem and Rockets swept in the finals. Regarding '94, no one knows how it would have ended but it's a fact that Hakeem is the only NBA superstar who didn't have a loosing record vs MJ..

Regarding Shaq, I have Shaq and Hakeem on the same place on my top 10 list and I wouldn't bother if anyone picked Shaq over Hakeem, you can't go wrong with any of them.

Duncan, no, in my eyes Hakeem had more game than Duncan and played in a tougher era as well. Dr J? Are you for real.. Moses is one of the most underrated player in my eyes but still he was no Hakeem.
    His supporting cast wasn't as good as other superstars but it wasn't that bad. He had guys like Thorpe, Floyd, Smith, Maxwell, etc. They are no stars but they were good role players.

For which years that I wished Hakeem would take them further..
    1)1990 playoffs where they lost to the Lakers 3-1 and Hakeem only averaged 18.5 points(and his FG was only 44%) which was the 4th best in his team.
    2)1989 playoffs where they again lost 3-1 to Seattle. That year both Thorpe and Floyd had decent series against the Sonics.
    3)1996 playoffs getting swept by the Sonics. No need to explain any further I'm thinking..

Yes, only 4 decent playoff runs. These are 86, 94, 95, and 97. He either lost in the first round or 2nd round(Semi-finals) the rest of his career.

Hakeem is a great player and arguably top ten. But he is often overrated on this board.

Clippers ALL DAY

Quote Originally Posted by get these NETS
    to OP

between winning a ring with Oscar and Magic showing up in L.A.....what kind of playoff success did KAJ have?
    I made the same point in some Kareem thread so I totally agree with your point. I also said I don't really give him that much credit for his first ring because that 70's was probably the weakest era that I've seen.

BUT Kareem > Hakeem because
    1)Better scorer.
    2)Longevity
    3)Achieved more even tho that has a lot to do with Magic.