Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    NBA rookie of the year Da_Realist's Avatar

Default Re: Interesting Quotes/Comments from the Dream Team book

Quote Originally Posted by Shepseskaf
    Agree 100%. McCollum tried to become part of the book, instead of just writing it.
    Exactly

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer tpols's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Da_Realist
    Drexler on Barkley

Drexler offered a simple but perceptive analysis of Barkley when we talked about it in 2011. "If Charles had worked out and done things like he was supposed to, the way that Karl did them, then he wouldn't have been Charles," said Drexler. "He was creative, and creative guys have to do it at their own pace and in their own way." It's another way of saying that we don't ask our poets to diagram sentences.
    I get what Drexler is saying.. that Malone's methodical approach to weight lifting was the same as his approach to basketball, and since barkley was a little unorthodox his habits could never be the same as Malones.

But I dont think its just that players like Barkley are more 'creative' than Malone.. it's that they have a more intuitive and natural feel for the game that allows them to make moves very smoothly because everything comes easier to them.

I guess Drexler doesnt get that because, like MJ said, he was more of a put your head down and drive guy where as michael could do pretty much anything he wanyted depending on the circumstances. The creativity comes from MJ and Barkley just being.. better players who have the game come easier to them. It shouldnt have a single thing to do with weight training.

NBA sixth man of the year Indian guy's Avatar

He thinks Magic is a phony. Or contrived. That's his opinion.
    That's an opinion a lot of people hold though. In the book Bird Watching, Larry doesn't outright say it, but reading between the lines, you can pretty much tell he wants people to know Magic's entire public persona is an act.

Bob Greene, a respected journalist(non-sports) who befriended MJ and wrote Hang Time during 90-92, also talked about how Magic was no "smiler" and in fact, nothing like how the public viewed him.

Quote Originally Posted by Indian guy
    That's an opinion a lot of people hold though. In the book Bird Watching, Larry doesn't outright say it, but reading between the lines, you can pretty much tell he wants people to know Magic's entire public persona is an act.

Bob Greene, a respected journalist(non-sports) who befriended MJ and wrote Hang Time during 90-92, also talked about how Magic was no "smiler" and in fact, nothing like how the public viewed him.
    It may be true, but he hijacks the book with it. He repeatedly talks about how Christian Laettner was the biggest asshole in Spain, Magic's a phony, MJ's not a nice guy, etc... It would have felt better if he wrote what happened and allowed us to decide how much of a phony Magic is or how insecure Pippen is... He doesn't allow the reader to do that because he'll spend whole chapters prepping you ("Watch out...in chapter 18 you'll see proof of how mean MJ is") so that when you read whatever he wanted to tell you, you can't form an opinion because he formed it for you in chapter 4.

He takes things out of proportion to prop up his opinions and casually let's stuff go that doesn't. I understand what reporters need to do to get a story and I still respect him (was reading his stuff from Sports Illustrated half my life), but there was a sneakiness to how he got some of his quotes. For example...

He complained about how Pippen is "The Shadow Man" because he was always in MJ's shadow. He was so under appreciated. No one respects him like they should because they always see him through the prism of "Michael". But in his own blog, he stated, "One of the challenges in talking to Pippen about the book was the old one—how to get him to riff on Jordan when he, Pippen, is the primary subject. "

So he admitted his interest in Pippen was centered around "riffing" on Jordan. Pippen said what he said, as did all the other Dream Teamers, but I wonder how much was left on the cutting room floor that didn't fit his agenda? How much pleading, coaxing and manipulating did he need to do to finally get the quote he needed/wanted?

A lot of this book is petty and I have a feeling the author is the reason behind it all.
    Last edited by Da_Realist; 07-19-2012 at 06:03 PM.

College star

He'd play thirty-six holds of golf, and we'd be heading to the bus and here comes Michael with his clubs. But he'd be back two minutes later ready to play. The energy that man had...never saw anything like it. That's why, when Magic started talking, deep down, he had to know Michael had passed us. I mean, Michael was the best player in our league before Barcelona. I had no problem with it. I had my run. I said to Magic, you gotta be out of your mind if you think you can still compete with this guy. Let it go, man, let it go. Compete against him like you're going to kick his ass, bur realize it's his time. -- Bird
    Magic is always delusional. Just like Kobe.

College star

96 "Dream Team"

"I was just amazed at some of the things that went on. We had a couple of guys skip practice because they didn't get to start and didn't play as many minutes as they thought they should. Can you imagine that? Michael Jordan didn't start some games in '92. Michael freaking Jordan!" Barkley wouldn't name the players, but they were Shaq and Penny Hardaway

In some press reports Hakeem Olajuwon was presented as the model teammate on the '96 squad. Pippen said that wasn't the case. "Penny and Hakeem...there's two guys who will whine when things don't go their way. Hakeem got mad at Lenny because he didn't play against Greece. 'I've never had a DNP in my life!' he was shouting at Lenny. He was so mad that tears were coming out of his eyes. I'm telling you, it was bad. I enjoyed Atlanta, I guess, but it wasn't the same. And it wasn't a Dream Team."
    When Barkley first brought up the subject of bitches in 96 team, I always knew Penny and Shaq were definitely two of them. Hakeem surprised me.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigVeto
    When Barkley first brought up the subject of bitches in 96 team, I always knew Penny and Shaq were definitely two of them. Hakeem surprised me.
    Penny and Hakeem surprised me. Really surprised me.

Local High School Star

The Penny thing doesn’t surprise me much. He was routinely accused of whining in the post-Shaq years in Orlando. He played a big role in the firing of Brian Hill, would publicly state how he didn’t get the respect he warranted from the media, buried the Magic fans saying they were the worst market for a star player to be in and they didn’t appreciate him, criticized Chuck Daly after running Brian Hill out of town, demanding a huge extension when his ability didn’t warrant that money at all ect. If you watch some of his interviews from that time period, he could give you the impression of a conceited jackass or if that's too harsh, just a guy that was full of himself.

As for Hakeem, I agree. I was pretty surprised in his case. That's something I would've expected from the 80s version as opposed to the mid 90s version who seemed more at peace with himself, always got praised for his unselfishness and leadership. It was probably a pride thing for him watching Robinson and Shaq who were his main competitors get playing time yet he doesn't even get to play at all. There was a period where in 1991 where Cartwright knocked him out with the eye injury and they had some success without him building chemistry. When he returned, he didn’t have any trouble blending in and coming off the bench backing up Larry Smith. A guy can happily back up Larry Smith (98% of the forum doesn’t know who he is) and he’s throwing a hissy fit behind Shaq and Robinson? Seems weird and that’s why I think its pride related. I know Hakeem usually comes off as a humble player but I wouldn't be surprised if he felt insulted. I remember Robert Horry in a interview with Bill Simmons (it's on youtube) and Mario Elie talking about how he was furious when they gave David Robinson the MVP and felt he was disrespected and used that as motivation.

Barkley was wrong BTW. Jordan started in all 8 games in the Olympics, not that I think he would've cared a whole lot had he came off the bench. Outside of isolated instances like the match up with Drazen, Kukoc and Sarunas where he either had something to prove or they needed him, I don't think he really cared all that much in the actual games at all because of the competition (or lack there of) since that’s what he thrived most from.

http://www.usabasketball.com/mens/na...moly_1992.html
    Last edited by NugzHeat3; 07-19-2012 at 11:50 PM.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Xiao Yao You's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by get these NETS

paxson about even with porter
    Porter was one of the best pg's in the game. Paxson was decent. Not even close. Paxson wasn't even close to Ainge.

you can't stop me get these NETS's Avatar

SI printed FULL chapter of the book describing the greatest game nobody ever saw

heated legendary scrimmage between Magic's pickup team and Jordan's.

highlight of the book...with play by play and dialogue from players

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vau...1220/index.htm

coverage of the game starts on page 3

3-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by andgar923
    Btw.... Clyde is hating on MJ when he says "give me Scottie"

He wouldn't have molded Pip like MJ did (not close) and he HAD a better team throughout most of his career!!!

The Blazers were stacked, way more than the Bulls were. You could switch teams from even when Pip was molded into a great player and they still wouldn't have won shit.

MJ was simply a better player and a better leader case closed.
    If they had switched places, Jordan wins 3-4 titles with the 90-93 Blazers, and another 3-4 titles with the 95-98 Rockets. Drexler sounds really bitter and delusional.

Local High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by get these NETS
    SI printed FULL chapter of the book describing the greatest game nobody ever saw

heated legendary scrimmage between Magic's pickup team and Jordan's.

highlight of the book...with play by play and dialogue from players

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vau...1220/index.htm

coverage of the game starts on page 3
    Thanks a lot for posting this.

I think with the way players talk about how amped they were, their need and desire to prove themselves against one another, their perspective on this game and the mystique regarding this game, it has to be one of the most competitive games ever played. It might not feature the highest quality of basketball but in terms of ruggedness, intensity, match ups vying to dethrone the other following the tone set by their leaders Magic and Jordan and the sheer talent on the court, it would still be a delight to watch.

Also, I liked Pippen mentioning how Mullin was beating him on backdoor cuts. He was a really smart player and amazing off-ball.

They really need to release the footage because they're robbing basketball fans otherwise.

soundcloud.com/agua-1 andgar923's Avatar

I've been reading the book, and Scottie comes across as still being jealous and somewhat resentful of MJ, even when giving him props. And even when he's resentful he still gives him props....

Seriously.... he's say shit like "Mj got away with a lot of things, he always did" when asked who the better defender was, but then say shit like "it let me get away with things as well" (paraphrasing).

So even when he wants to take away credit and give himself props, he still HAS to give him props cause he knows deep down that there's no Pip without Mj.

There was other comments that just seemed bitter and reeked of insecurity and jealousy. Like when he compared MJ to Kobe... uh well... maybe cause you guys didn't deserve MJ's trust. The only person that probably deserved his trust was Grant or Pax, and Grant because he got feeds right underneath the basket for easy buckets. Pax was smart and had already played with MJ.

And MJ said it best when he was asked about his opinion on Pip's comments regarding Bron "jealousy". And this book as well as many other interviews clearly show that Pip is still full of insecurity and jealousy. But as the book makes sure to point out, Pip at the end of the day as much as he hates to admit it knows MJ made him and he would've never been remembered if it wasn't for him.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Xiao Yao You's Avatar

That was all obvious when Phil let his best shooter(Kukoc) take the last shot and Pippen cried like like a little leaguer.

3-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by andgar923

And MJ said it best when he was asked about his opinion on Pip's comments regarding Bron "jealousy". .
    He said Pippen was jealous when he said Lebron was better then him? When was this?