Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Default Re: What do you think of the NBA age minimum?

Should be 18, the legal age to work.

If people are ok with an 11 year old girl playing in the Women's US Open of golf, then they should be ok with 18 year olds in the NBA.

Serious playground baller Ball So Harden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcastic
    Should be 18, the legal age to work.

If people are ok with an 11 year old girl playing in the Women's US Open of golf, then they should be ok with 18 year olds in the NBA.
    Legal age to work is 16 in the US.

Quote Originally Posted by Ball So Harden
    Legal age to work is 16 in the US.
    Depends on the work. 18 is the age in which parent's permission is no longer needed. A 16 year old is not allowed to work in a factory for example.

Serious playground baller Ball So Harden's Avatar

Depends on the work. 18 is the age in which parent's permission is no longer needed. A 16 year old is not allowed to work in a factory for example.
    I had a job without parent permission

Very good NBA starter DukeDelonte13's Avatar

age limit protects the league from stupid teams blowing their wads on unproven guys.

I like where it's at now, let the prospects play 1 year of college, d-league, or international and see where they really stack up.

Quote Originally Posted by DukeDelonte13
    age limit protects the league from stupid teams blowing their wads on unproven guys.

I like where it's at now, let the prospects play 1 year of college, d-league, or international and see where they really stack up.
    No it doesn't. Age limit didn't stop the Cavs from drafting Anthony Bennett. Teams will make bad decisions one way or the other. Age limit just reduces allows teams to pay less for development years, and control the players for more of their good prime years.

21. It makes sense maybe at 20 to give them a year to come closer to their potential and meet their NBA standards but I would stay safe at 21. Remember it might even help veterans because they can control the tempo, know how to play defense on the younger men. It'll be a good experience.

The quality of basketball in both the NBA and NCAA would be better because of it, so I can only be all for it.

The only way I see the Union accepting a raise in age would be if the league allowed players to become unrestricted free agents after only 4 years instead of the current 7 years. Making a player wait till 27 or 28 means he will only get one max free agent contract in his career.

I think as long as they have a HS diploma, and are over 18, they should be able to play. I've been to college, unless you have an insane talent in sports or doing something medical, you are just shelling money out to apply places far away......

Very good NBA starter DukeDelonte13's Avatar

No it doesn't. Age limit didn't stop the Cavs from drafting Anthony Bennett. Teams will make bad decisions one way or the other. Age limit just reduces allows teams to pay less for development years, and control the players for more of their good prime years.

AB put up 16/8 his freshman season in college though.. Kinda different versus a guy right out of HS. busts will happen regardless.

It's shit for variety of reason. The most obvious one would be if you're good enough then you are good enough.

But more importantly, there is no need for players who are NBA ready to spend 1 full year competing against college scrubs were 90% of the players they go up against don't even make it professionally. Andrew Wiggins, Parker and the rest of those guys would benefit more from playing against professionals than playing against kids in college.

Imagine if we had mandatory 3 years in college, that would mean that Kyrie Irving would make his NBA debut after the summer. You honestly want to tell me that a 22 year old Kyrie with 3 year college experience is better player than Kyrie, 22 year old with 3 year NBA experience?

Forget about diplomas and shit like that, let's be real. This is not a real job, it is a sport. In soccer you got guys coming from the streets of africa playing football at the highest level without anybody asking about their maturity or any of the BS people talk about.
    Last edited by Nash; 05-22-2014 at 11:24 AM.

I'd prefer an increase so we see fewer raw/unpolished prospects coming into the league, but I don't know where the sweet spot is. 20 or 21 I guess?

Quote Originally Posted by AnaheimLakers24
    **** ncaa. damn nazi jew fgts always want blacks for money

NBA rookie of the year

no to either a max or min age limit.

If you're good enough to play, your good enough to play. America is a capitalistic society.