Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default What will be held against this era in order to "cut off" it's stat records/accolades?

Just thinking about how ESPN tries to find cut off points to ignore actual NBA records from the past in order to make current player achievements seem extra special, sometimes even to try and fabricate the perception that new records are actually being made. It got me to wonder, what types of arbitrary things will ESPN be looking at in the future in order to lop off Kobe's 81 points, or Lebron/Tmac/Kobe/AI's 30+ppg averages? Post-hand check era perhaps? Post-hollinger PER/TS/fantasy league advanced stat era perhaps? Because no way in hell will they want to count those milestones as being relevant 40 years from now, these are still just the pioneers of future basketball when you think about it.

Default Re: What will be held against this era in order to "cut off" it's stat records/accolades?

Depends on how much the game changes in the future. The handcheck thing is a possibility I suppose.

While I troll with the Weak era post, there is no denying that the 60s and 70s lacked many things that the NBA does today. Whether it be the amount of teams or the three point line.

NBA sixth man of the year KyrieTheFuture's Avatar

Default Re: What will be held against this era in order to "cut off" it's stat records/accolades?

Not enough chinese players. No one had the disciprin to train as hard as athletes in 2100.

Quote Originally Posted by navy
    Depends on how much the game changes in the future. The handcheck thing is a possibility I suppose.

While I troll with the Weak era post, there is no denying that the 60s and 70s lacked many things that the NBA does today.
    That goes both ways, you can't deny that this era lacks big men like the 60's and 70's, competitive all star games, pass-first ball movement rather than over dribbling, etc etc etc... the game does change over time. For every gain there is an atrophy somewhere else though.

Bear Chested Da Brawn STATUTORY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CavaliersFTW
    That goes both ways, you can't deny that this era lacks big men like the 60's and 70's, competitive all star games, pass-first ball movement rather than over dribbling, etc etc etc... the game does change over time. For every gain there is an atrophy somewhere else though.
    that's not necessarily true

Just thinking about how ESPN tries to find cut off points to ignore actual NBA records from the past in order to make current player achievements seem extra special, sometimes even to try and fabricate the perception that new records are actually being made. It got me to wonder, what types of arbitrary things will ESPN be looking at in the future in order to lop off Kobe's 81 points, or Lebron/Tmac/Kobe/AI's 30+ppg averages? Post-hand check era perhaps? Post-hollinger PER/TS/fantasy league advanced stat era perhaps? Because no way in hell will they want to count those milestones as being relevant 40 years from now, these are still just the pioneers of future basketball when you think about it. A few good pioneers that might be capable of playing in the future but they are playing against weak competition.

Since no high school players allowed,since probably the new 2-4 yr college rule
    Since Okc,probably since abolishment of conferences,
    since the advent of social media,Since a whole new more advanced stat gets created,
    the avgs on records will be skewed in order to benefit newer players,new rule changes to benefit those players,since Delay of Game,since the 4 pt line probably

Though lets be real ESPN and the media or whoever
    will skew the stats however to benefit who they want regardless so moot point

that's not necessarily true[/QUOTE]

Assist tracked back then to now
    Caliber big men then and now

Dribbling rules then and now
    The 3 pt line
    Higher pace/Lower Pace so benefits Defense now Offense then
    No hand checking
    Wider Lane
    Defensive 3 seconds
    Back to the Basket rule
    Zone Defense restriction
    No blocks kept back then or steals
    8 Team league,30 Team League
    Back to back to back,even 4-5 back to back straight games played
    2 rounds,4 rounds
    Best of 3,best of 5,to Best of 7
    Instant Replay
    Foul Review
    Shot Clock with .second display
    G-G-F-F-F all star selections now
    FAN Vote in All star
    Media vote for MVP

some things are better,others not
    some players are better,others not

Certain things are Better,Others not

I think the lack of big me is a little bit more modern. The all star game stuff doesnt matter.

I dont think Ive a seen a past first team from back in the day. It was usually one or two passes per possession and then a shot was put up. Which is why they have such high scores and so many possessions.

Quote Originally Posted by STATUTORY
    that's not necessarily true
    Name a rule change that served to promote one element of the game, while simultaneously not negatively effecting some other element of the game.

I guess they're cutting off Wilt, probably because the notion that Wilt was a steroid cheat is catching on.

People are putting it together. From a skinny rail thin college kid to a 300lbs beast in a short time. All as soon as he got into "lifting", and started hanging out with the bodybuilder types. It just makes sense.
    Wilt abused steroids and the lack of testing back then.

Nothing.... you see 50s & 60s no matter how you want to twist & turn was unfortunately uncomplete in basketball pool of talent/skill/competition potential, dont want to hurt some feelings, i know you love the 60s CavsFTW but i like to be honest... you need to accept that basketball has evolved.... the thing is it stopped in the 80s & thats where the thing called "modern era" was born.... basketball reaching its absolute peak.... except for some rule change here n there basketball has not changed in talent/skill/competition etc since then.... so there is no possibility anybody could hold anything against this era or any era in the future.... its not like there will be so much better talent/skill/competition around in the future that defenses would be so gruesome & the offenses would be so thorough to the point where the possessions per game slow down even more.... hence to the point where people can also hold something against this era.... if that happens then basketball has evolved even further...... but it wont, because it hasnt since the 80s, no sign of that at all.....

Bear Chested Da Brawn STATUTORY's Avatar

Name a rule change that served to promote one element of the game, while simultaneously not negatively effecting some other element of the game.
    maybe i misunderstood you, i agree rule changes usually privilege one aspect of the game while mitigates another.

I thought you were implying that player's game are improved in some aspect but that necessarily comes with atrophy in other areas of their game. that i disagree with.

College superstar

Common demarcation points:

Shot-clock era
    NBA/ABA merger

Possible future ones:

Handcheck
    Changing the dimension of the court or height of the rim
    Migration of new international talent (Latin America, East Asia, India, Africa...)

Quote Originally Posted by plowking
    I guess they're cutting off Wilt, probably because the notion that Wilt was a steroid cheat is catching on.

People are putting it together. From a skinny rail thin college kid to a 300lbs beast in a short time. All as soon as he got into "lifting", and started hanging out with the bodybuilder types. It just makes sense.
    Wilt abused steroids and the lack of testing back then.
    Do you honestly believe that? I mean, I've seen some of Wilt's volleyball footage (post NBA) and the guy wasn't even that big in his Laker days. When dude was getting offers to play at 50, he was at his heaviest.

collusion