Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    ThaSwagg3r
    Fan in the Stands (unregistered)

Default Re: Penny Hardaway in his peak vs. Allen Iverson in his peak

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnySic
    Iverson by far. AI carried bad teams on his back. Put Penny on a bad team, and he would have been just another good guy.
    Penny's career after Shaq, slowly faded due to injuries. He was quite impressive in '96-'97 though especially in the '97 playoffs. He only played 59 games in the '96-'97 regular season due to injuries.

Magic got eliminated in the 1st round by the Heat in '97 but Penny was the only reason why the series even got close. Penny played mediocre in Game 1 but he was fantastic for the rest of the series.

Game 1: 13/4/3/4, 6/16 shooting - L
    Game 2: 26 points, 10/20 shooting - L
    Game 3: 42/8/2, 16/30 shooting - W
    Game 4: 41/7/4/4/3, 12-23 shooting - W
    Game 5: 33/10/6, 8-22 shooting - L.

Penny was also pretty good with Phoenix when he played with Jason Kidd. Although he continued to be injury riddled and his career slowly started to fadeaway he still played great in the playoffs.

I have no problem with anyone taking AI but your reasons aren't the best.

Quote Originally Posted by L.Kizzle
    Uh, Hardaway would put up the same number if he was the only scoring option on his team.
    yeah ok.

If this true then maybe he would have won a ring with HOFers playing with him

Banned

These youngens who saying AI and its not even close are obviously 12.

Penny's impact might not show all in stats but he made back 2 back 1st team in his 2nd and 3rd year but fail to make any after that due to serious injury.

I take Penny all day everyday but its very close since AI was a Little Monster during his prime but I might be little bias since Penny is one of my favorite player.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsmoke
    yeah ok.

If this true then maybe he would have won a ring with HOFers playing with him
    It took Chris Mullin like 4 tries to make the Hall of Fame (no hate, but it is what it is.) It's not like he was Rick Barry when he played for the Warriors.

Sayin Tim couldn't win with Mullin is like saying Pistol Pete couldn't win with Walt Bellamy.

If Tim could put up 23 points with Mullin hittin 26 and Richmond hitting 22, what make you think he can't put up 30 with out those guys? Maybe he could, maybe he couldn't but it was in his reach.

Quote Originally Posted by ZaaaaaH
    Penny's impact might not show all in stats but he made back 2 back 1st team in his 2nd and 3rd year but fail to make any after that due to serious injury.

I take Penny all day everyday but its very close since AI was a Little Monster during his prime but I might be little bias since Penny is one of my favorite player.
    Iverson was a better player... period.

Penny is a player filled "would have been's" and Iverson in his prime BEEN that shit. "MVP, All Star MVP, Scoring titles, Finals as a 1st Option, 50+ point games in the playoffs... ect.

Quote Originally Posted by L.Kizzle
    It took Chris Mullin like 4 tries to make the Hall of Fame (no hate, but it is what it is.) It's not like he was Rick Barry when he played for the Warriors. Sayin Tim couldn't win with Mullin is like saying Pistol Pete couldn't win with Walt Bellamy. If Tim could put up 23 points with Mullin hittin 26 and Richmond hitting 22, what make you think he can't put up 30 with out those guys? Maybe he could, maybe he couldn't but it was in his reach.
    I forgot that the NBA back then allowed like 115 points each game.

Put Iverson in a 90's Don Nelson offense

Quote Originally Posted by Miller for 3
    Give AI a prime Shaq and this wouldnt be a contest at all. AI had no other offense help around him at all in his prime. Once he finally got some 3pt shooters or a legit go to option in Melo, he was easily putting up 25+ ppg on over 45% shooting PAST his prime. Iverson > Penny, who gets overrated more and more as time passes

The only time Iverson had any success was when he was the only scoring option. '01 was the only year he got past round 2. Penny was a more complete player, provided more mismatches, and was a better defender because of his length. He didn't gamble like Iverson did.

And for a player as individually talented like Iverson, he underachieved big time.

Quote Originally Posted by D.J.
    The only time Iverson had any success was when he was the only scoring option. '01 was the only year he got past round 2. Penny was a more complete player, provided more mismatches, and was a better defender because of his length. He didn't gamble like Iverson did.

And for a player as individually talented like Iverson, he underachieved big time.
    lol Penny had a 29/12 center play aside him and you're hating on Iverson for not making out of the 2nd round more than once when Penny only did it twice.

The Magic were super stacked in 95 and including Shaq who was putting up scary numbers.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/ORL/1995.html

you're telling me this team would make any noise?

Shaq
    Grant
    Dennis Scott
    Nick Anderson
    Iverson

Iverson is better in the clutch than Penny too

you're telling me this team would make any noise?

Shaq
    Grant
    Dennis Scott
    Nick Anderson
    Iverson

Iverson needs the ball in his hands. Even if he put up his Denver numbers, that doesn't mean he's impacting games. Shaq impacted games, even if he had an off night scoring wise. Iverson only succeeded when he was the only scoring option.

Iverson is better in the clutch than Penny too

Really? Penny had back to back 40 point games against a defensively stacked Heat team and put up 33/10/6 in the deciding game 5. Doesn't exactly scream "choker".

Quote Originally Posted by D.J.
    Iverson needs the ball in his hands. Even if he put up his Denver numbers, that doesn't mean he's impacting games. Shaq impacted games, even if he had an off night scoring wise.

Really? Penny had back to back 40 point games against a defensively stacked Heat team and put up 33/10/6 in the deciding game 5. Doesn't exactly scream "choker".
    40 point games is like...this to Iverson

44 points and he needed 33 field goal attempts to do it. And he barely cracked 50% shooting. Don't forget his earlier games against the Bucks, where he had games of 13/35, 5/26, 10/32, and 5/27. And speaking of game 7s, 8/27 against Toronto.

I hit open 5-foot jumpshots with ease

AIs rookie season is essentially Pennys best season

Pennys best statistical season: 21/7/4/2

AIs rookie season: 23/7/4/2.

Not to mention Iverson led a team to the finals, has the 3rd highest playoff PPG in NBA history, had a beastly 30/8/4/2 season and was just a better overall player.

Gimme AI anyway of the week.

ThaSwagg3r
    Fan in the Stands (unregistered)

Do people really think that a player can't impact the game unless it shows on the stat-sheet? Being the more productive player does not always equate to being the better player.

Quote Originally Posted by Sampsonsimpson
    AIs rookie season is essentially Pennys best season

Pennys best statistical season: 21/7/4/2

AIs rookie season: 23/7/4/2.

Not to mention Iverson led a team to the finals, has the 3rd highest playoff PPG in NBA history, had a beastly 30/8/4/2 season and was just a better overall player.

Gimme AI anyway of the week.
    How about this stat?

Penny Hardaway's average FG% for his career was 46%
    Allen Iverson's highest FG% in a season was 46%. (no hand-check)

Why do people always fall back on this excuse?

I'm 37 years old. I was 19 in 1993 when Penny got drafted. I saw his whole career. He was good, but he is way overrated. He was not Iverson good or Kobe good or LeBron good or Wade good, which is how the Space Jam generation remembers him. He was a slightly better Brandon Roy or Joe Johnson. He wasn't even as good as Grant Hill, who also isn't quite Kobe or LeBron.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnySic
    Why do people always fall back on this excuse?

I'm 37 years old. I was 19 in 1993 when Penny got drafted. I saw his whole career. He was good, but he is way overrated. He was not Iverson good or Kobe good or LeBron good or Wade good, which is how the Space Jam generation remembers him. He was a slightly better Brandon Roy or Joe Johnson. He wasn't even as good as Grant Hill, who also isn't quite Kobe or LeBron.

i just can't discuss bball with guys like that. you just know don't know what you are talking about