Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Good college starter EricForman's Avatar

Default Re: Who is a better offensive player? MJ or kobe?

Quote Originally Posted by LeFraud James
    Michael Jordan was leaps and bounds a better scorer.

Kobe at his peak, however, was the better offensive player.
    hahahahahah at these kobetards

Quote Originally Posted by pauk
    hahahahahah at these kobetards

I would ask if you're mad, but seeing you type in ALL CAPS every other post already confirms my suspicions.

You are and forever will be a complete nincompoop.

Good college starter EricForman's Avatar

Local High School Star

I'll go jordan here but ppl saying its jordan and not close are crazy its indeed very close

College superstar

Put it this way...

Kobe on his best scoring day will put up more points than Jordan on his best scoring day. He just has more range which makes scoring easier when he's hot. Kobe could literally score 60 on majority pull up jumpers if he needed to.

However, Jordan will consistently put up more points at greater efficiency than Kobe would. Jordan attacks more and will post up more, creating shots at better efficiency. Jordan just has more stamina and can do it more consistently.

I would take Jordan over Kobe, but both are great choices.

Laker fan here btw.

Quote Originally Posted by scm5
    Put it this way...

Kobe on his best scoring day will put up more points than Jordan on his best scoring day. He just has more range which makes scoring easier when he's hot. Kobe could literally score 60 on majority pull up jumpers if he needed to.
    Hypothetical scenario: 29 year old Jordan, physically, mentally, skillwise all at their peak. Put him on a crappy team...what kind of scoring numbers are talking here? Because Jordan's absolute peak coincided with him being on a competent team, which to some degree may have prevented us from seeing his true scoring potential. Actually, I think the 2nd threepeat Jordan might have been more likely to go off for 70+ points because of the automatic-ness of his midrange game, plus the closer 3-point line which made him a more prolific threat from 3point land. And he was still able to get to the rim...partly a product of how much you had to respect his jumpshot, even if he had physically gone past his peak.

NBA rookie of the year

Quote Originally Posted by scm5
    Put it this way...

However, Jordan will consistently put up more points at greater efficiency than Kobe would. Jordan attacks more and will post up more, creating shots at better efficiency. Jordan just has more stamina and can do it more consistently.

I would take Jordan over Kobe, but both are great choices.

Laker fan here btw.
    Not just that, but people are neglecting passing as part of "offense." Due to the type of shots Jordan got himself as compared to the type of shots Kobe takes, as well as simply being a better and more willing passer, he generally had more assists in his high scoring games than Kobe does. In fact, Jordan has 17 games of 50+ pts/5+ ast as compared to Kobe's 5 games of 50+/5+, and Jordan has 13 games of 50+ pts/6+ ast to Kobe's 4 such games. Jordan is also, as you mentioned, more efficient than Kobe in his games of 50+ points.

This is to say nothing of the fact that Jordan was significantly less ball dominant than Kobe (i.e., he didn't have the ball in his hands nearly as long as Kobe did) and thus doesn't stagnate offense to the same degree as Kobe does, and doesn't need 5-7 seconds to set up a good shot for himself like Kobe.
    Last edited by OldSchoolBBall; 08-30-2011 at 03:00 PM.

7-time NBA All-Star

As far as skills with the ball? Kobe is Jordan's equal and prime Kobe was arguably the best streak scorer ever. But Jordan was the better, more consistent scorer due to his superior off the ball play, athleticism and shot selection. I'd give Jordan the edge as a passer as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonyeuw
    The thing when looking at Jordan's scoring vs Kobe's scoring, Kobe's prime as a scorer coincided with him being on a mediocre team, giving him a certain carte blanche to rack up phenomenal scoring games and streaks. Jordan's offensive game peaked( the outside jumpshot, the post game, the mental aspects) at the same time the Bulls evolved into a championship caliber unit. Thus the need for him to go buckwild offensively wasn't there anymore with competent pieces around him( though he did still manage to rack up his 50 and 60 point games in the 90's)

Even the 69 point Jordan in 1990 wasn't really at his peak scoring-wise; his jumpshot and post game got better after this. Personally I think that if Jordan at 28-30, at the peak of his offensive, athletic and mental ability, had the Bulls team he had prior to the arrival and development of Pippen, Grant, Phil etc etc, you'd have seen a number of 70 point games. As it was, the guy as a 2nd year player put up 63 IN THE PLAYOFFS on the Celtics at the peak of their powers, and he was still pretty much raw and relying purely on athletic talent at that point.
    I disagree with you that 1990 Jordan wasn't Jordan's peak as a scorer. I think that may have been MJ at his absolute best as far as scoring(arguably as an overall player as well rivaled only by the 1991 and 1992 versions).

Jordan became less ball dominant and improved his range that season, he had most(if not all) of his athleticism, had gotten stronger and could already punish smaller guards in the post, but did a good amount of his damage playing without the ball.

His shooting ability was really good by that point. He had his best 3 point shooting season with the normal line and his 4th best FT%.

Keep it tight for me The-Legend-24's Avatar

Kobe.

And IT Ain't IT Even Close

I hit open 5-foot jumpshots with ease

30 PPG on 50% from the field > 25 PPG on 45% from the field

What can I do for you? SuperPippen's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RRR3
    HURR DURR KOBE GOT 5 RINGZZ AND DA KILLER INSTINCT. DURR HURR HE DA GOAT
    Typical Legend-24 response:

HATERZ GONNA HATE

MJS career high= 69 in overtime against the cavs
    Kobes= 62 in 3 quarters

Bean is the GOAT, get over it

Quote Originally Posted by Doranku
    MJ and it's not close.
    this.

Banned

Kobe, not close