Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Lad

Default Re: Don't compare Messi to Zizou anymore

Quote Originally Posted by alenleomessi
    no one on this argentina's team except messi would even sniff a starting spot for that 98 france team.. they were loaded
    You are going to use this excuse non stop.

In 2010 it was the manager. Now it's the squad. What's next?

Quote Originally Posted by creepingdeath
    While that's true, Zizou was still a more clutch and dominant leader than Messi.
    ehh.. winning goals in all group stage matches.. game winning assist in 1/8.. made the penalty in the 1/2.. played much deeper in the knockout stage due to dimaria's injury so there is your reason for lack of goals.. could have had few assists if his teammates werent shit though

france 98 knockout stage: extra time Blanc goal against paraguay, win on penalties against italy, comeback win against croatia in 1/2 thuram scored both goals.. sure he had a solid WC final but wouldnt be there if he didnt have such great teammates.. for argentina is the opposite.. they probably wouldnt made it out of the group if it wasnt for messi.. spot the difference?

Lad

Bosnia, Iran, Nigeria.

How does my Dirk taste creepingdeath's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by alenleomessi
    ehh.. winning goals in all group stage matches.. game winning assist in 1/8.. made the penalty in the 1/2.. played much deeper in the knockout stage due to dimaria's injury so there is your reason for lack of goals.. could have had few assists if his teammates werent shit though

france 98 knockout stage: extra time Blanc goal against paraguay, win on penalties against italy, comeback win against croatia in 1/2 thuram scored both goals.. sure he had a solid WC final but wouldnt be there if he didnt have such great teammates.. for argentina is the opposite.. they probably wouldnt made it out of the group if it wasnt for messi.. spot the difference?
    We're absolutely on the same page regarding the gap between their respective national teams, no argument from me. However, the opposite is true when you compare many of Zizou's club teams to Messi's (especially when you factor in their competition).

Also, as a European guy you should know that football goes beyond mere statistics. And doing the eye test I don't know how comparing Zizou's 98 WC to Messi's performance in this WC is somehow refuting my statement.. in particular since Zizou had many more great tournaments for France.

Oh, and didn't you argue for Neuer being the GOAT goalie? Sorry, but that alone makes me reluctant to take you seriously in any football discussion...

Cali Love

Quote Originally Posted by ThePhantomCreep
    Champions League is a pretty big stage and Messi annihilates Zidane there.
    bullshit

Messi won the CL 3 times (didn't even play in the final back in '06), Zidane won once and made the finals with Juve one time.
    And the one time he won it was iconic (that goal )

finished runner-up with Bordeaux in the Uefa cup and won the super cup twice with 2 different teams so I don't see how Messi annihilates ZZ in international club football...

count all his International success with all that and he blows Messi out of the water.

peeps like to point out to Zidane's 'stacked' teams for his success in '98 '00 and '06 but how about Messi's stacked midfield at Barca for his 2 CL cups...that midfield was the reason Spain was so successful in the '10s...ZZ>Messi all day

Great college starter ThePhantomCreep's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by brownmamba00
    bullshit

Messi won the CL 3 times (didn't even play in the final back in '06), Zidane won once and made the finals with Juve one time.
    And the one time he won it was iconic (that goal )

finished runner-up with Bordeaux in the Uefa cup and won the super cup twice with 2 different teams so I don't see how Messi annihilates ZZ in international club football...

count all his International success with all that and he blows Messi out of the water.

peeps like to point out to Zidane's 'stacked' teams for his success in '98 '00 and '06 but how about Messi's stacked midfield at Barca for his 2 CL cups...that midfield was the reason Spain was so successful in the '10s...ZZ>Messi all day
    You're just rattling off trophies won How was Zidane's individual dominance on those Real Madrid and Juventus sides? I'll answer--nowhere near Messi's level.

Messi is arguably the GOAT champions league player. Yeah, his World Cup was disappointing, but he's above Zidane period.

Great college starter ThePhantomCreep's Avatar

Having a World Cup on your resume is a nice thing to have, but it isn't end-all be-all. Otherwise Rivaldo > Zidane

Rivaldo _____________________Zidane

14 games ____________________15 games
    9 goals_______________________5 goals
    4 assists______________________2 assists

Lad

People complain about Messi's teammates, but it wasnt their fault that Messi missed that sitter in the 2nd half.

Cali Love

Quote Originally Posted by ThePhantomCreep
    You're just rattling off trophies won How was Zidane's individual dominance on those Real Madrid and Juventus sides? I'll answer--nowhere near Messi's level.

Messi is arguably the GOAT champions league player. Yeah, his World Cup was disappointing, but he's above Zidane period.
    There is more to it than just goalscoring stats...I always viewed Zizou as a player that stepped up when his team needed him the most, a real leader and Zidane could really control a game at the highest level without him even scoring(remember that brazil game in '06)...he was the definition of a playmaker.

Quote Originally Posted by RagaZ
    Bosnia, Iran, Nigeria.
    Needed an own goal to beat Bosnia

Beat Iran in the 91st minute with Messi magic

and went out in a brawl with Nigeria.

Quote Originally Posted by LJJ
    Messi is miles and miles ahead of Zizou.

i dont know how anyone can even argue this.

Lad

Quote Originally Posted by AirTupac
    Needed an own goal to beat Bosnia

Beat Iran in the 91st minute with Messi magic

and went out in a brawl with Nigeria.
    3 bad teams.

Banned

Nobody is comparing Messi to Zidane.

Guys that walk around an entire match do not belong in the same sentence as guys that give their hearts.

zidane is twice the player messi will ever be

Zizou is the GOAT. Dont put him in the same sentence as Messi.