Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Premium liquor doesn't get me hungover

Saturday night with 7 other friends and we polished of:

What surprised me is that the next day I was good to go. This happens regularly when I switch to premiums. If it was a bottle of Jamieson, Crown, and Jose Cuervo I bet I would have been tied to my bed the next day
    What is it? Is it the cleanliness? Does congac have less proof? Now on it's premiums all the way!

Default Re: Premium liquor doesn't get me hungover

That's a little surprising because cognac is a little more sugary the other liquors. But yeah, I think top shelf stuff has fewer impurities which makes it easier for the body to break down.

I've never had high end stuff but I definitely notice a difference between getting drunk on johnnie walker black and a $15 bottle of whisky.
    I've also read lighter liquors are better than darker

Quote Originally Posted by Jailblazers7
    That's a little surprising because cognac is a little more sugary the other liquors. But yeah, I think top shelf stuff has fewer impurities which makes it easier for the body to break down.

I wonder if sugar vs high fructose corn syrup makes a difference?

a lot of low end booze has moved to HFCS lately since its cheaper due to all the bullshit govt subsidies to corn growers.

Quote Originally Posted by kentatm

a lot of low end booze has moved to HFCS lately since its cheaper due to all the bullshit govt subsidies to corn growers.
    Good call. Maybe it's a North American liquor thing vs. an International Liquor thing.

Although Jamieson gets me blackout drunk. Unless there's a distillery here?

Quote Originally Posted by kentatm

It probably does.

HFCS get's metabolized the same way in the body as alcohol does, except it doesn't give you a hang-over obviously. Natural sugar gets as absorbed through the body differently. Also HFCS inhibits the hunger hormone leptin, which gives you a full feeling. Which is a part reason why people who eat tones of crappy with HFCS in it always feel hungry shortly afterwards.

So I wouldn't be surprised if it effected how your body reacts to alcohol consumption.

~the original p.tiddy~ ~primetime~'s Avatar

I have actually done a fair amount of research on hangovers because I suffered from them a great deal when I drank. There are some things that are known to cause hangovers (carcinogens, dehydration, etc) but a lot of it is unknown and a lot of it is also purely genetic.

Roughly 25% of heavy drinkers claim to have never suffered a hangover.

I used to think that body weight played a big role but it doesn't appear that way...there are little 90 lb alcoholic women out there that suffer less hangover symptoms than some overweight men.

Asians are always rolling wih the expensive sh*t.

Alcohol flushing is also interesting..."Asian glow"

There are some parts of East Asia where alcoholism rates are extremely low because of it, most people just don't drink.

Quote Originally Posted by Meticode
    It probably does.

HFCS get's metabolized the same way in the body as alcohol does, except it doesn't give you a hang-over obviously. Natural sugar gets as absorbed through the body differently. Also HFCS inhibits the hunger hormone leptin, which gives you a full feeling. Which is a part reason why people who eat tones of crappy with HFCS in it always feel hungry shortly afterwards.

So I wouldn't be surprised if it effected how your body reacts to alcohol consumption.
    good peice of knowledge meti, I didn't know that!

Quote Originally Posted by hateraid
    good peice of knowledge meti, I didn't know that!
    If you ever have time (1.5 hours) to watch a documentary about the effects of high sugar intact and the difference between HFCS, Dextrose, Sucrose, Fructose, Sugar, etc... I highly recommend this documentary. The guy keeps it semi-interesting and provides a ton of information on sugar intake in general.

Here's where he starts talking about HFCS: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBnniua6-oM#t=1007

I too have found that nicer liquors produce less of a hangover. For exapmle I felt pretty great after going through some Gentleman's Jack, but regular JD has given me a hangover.

Although sometimes I'll have those nights where I mixed vodka, whiskey, rum, and downed a bunch of beers and still feel alright, so it's kind of hit or miss.

some of it could be purely placebo

you know you got drunk off the "good stuff" and not cheap wine...so you wake up feelin fresh knowing your above the rest

Quote Originally Posted by oarabbus
    I too have found that nicer liquors produce less of a hangover. For exapmle I felt pretty great after going through some Gentleman's Jack, but regular JD has given me a hangover.

Although sometimes I'll have those nights where I mixed vodka, whiskey, rum, and downed a bunch of beers and still feel alright, so it's kind of hit or miss.
    I gauge a lot from my activity.
    Sitting watching a game gets me drunk where I can drink the same amount at a club or a wedding and party hard and feel great. Maybe because I'm burning of the alcohol?
    But premiums get me drunk, but a mellow mood.
    the bad thing is we got into a weight lifting discussion that became a challenge. Went into my buddies garage and started doing bench presses
    Funny is the guy who chirped the most lifted the least. Got to 155 and gave up

Quote Originally Posted by Meticode
    If you ever have time (1.5 hours) to watch a documentary about the effects of high sugar intact and the difference between HFCS, Dextrose, Sucrose, Fructose, Sugar, etc... I highly recommend this documentary. The guy keeps it semi-interesting and provides a ton of information on sugar intake in general.

Here's where he starts talking about HFCS: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBnniua6-oM#t=1007
    Thanks!
    I can pass this on to my customers. I know the basic knowledge since this discussion comes up quite frequently in conversation. I constantly have to break down sweetener profiles of our products