Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Dunking on everybody in the park

Default Someone mind explaining cricket to me?

I saw a game on TV the other day and was like

Default Re: Someone mind explaining cricket to me?

Banned

The basic's aren't that complex but there's a lot of depth and tactics going on that you probably wouldn't notice at first.

Anyway basically you have one player who's bowling (delivering the ball) he bowls the ball by usually bouncing it off the pitch (the hard strip of ground they play on) and the batsman has to hit the ball and run by swapping places with the batsman waiting up the same end as the bowler. If the ball goes all the way to the edge of the field it's 4 runs, if the ball goes all the way to the edge of the field with out bouncing it's 6 runs. If he hits the ball and someone catches it he's out and a new batsman comes in, if the ball hits the stumps (the 3 pieces of wood behind him) he is also out and if the ball hits his legs before hitting the bat and the ball would have hit the stumps behind him if his legs weren't there that is also out. You can be run out too if someone hits the stumps up either end of the pitch while you are running/out of your ground. Everyone else is fielding and one person stands behind the stumps as the wicket keeper who catches the ball when the batsman misses it of gets an edge that goes behind to him. The sides each have 11 players and the bowling side is trying to get 10 of them out (the 11th person left can't bat on their own) and the batting side is trying to make runs. Each bowler bowls 6 balls at a time which is called an over then another bowler takes over. Scores are displayed differently in different countires but it takes some form of runs/wickets or wickets/run i.e 200/4 or 4/200 would mean the team batting has 4 people out and have made 200 runs. You'd say that as 4 for 200.

There's 3 types of game played internationally,

20/20 (also called t20) games - each team plays 20 overs (each over is 6 balls) and whoever makes more runs wins, this is quick cricket takes a few hours and is mainly people trying to smash the ball around.

one day games - these are 50 overs long other than that the same as 20/20 games but with more time to bat you start to see more tactics involved but it takes a full day to play.

test cricket - test matches have a max length of 5 days, each team bats twice. Team A will bat once until everyone is out or they decide they've made enough runs, then team b will bat until the same, then team a bats again and then team b bats again. You're scores from both times batting add together so you could have team a make 100 runs in the first innings, team b make 50 in their first, team a make another 100 in their second which leaves team b needed 150 runs to win the game in their last innings while team a just needs to bowl them all out for less than that. Test cricket is slower as it can be just as important to just hang around batting instead of making runs at times. It has the most tactics going on though and is really the true form of cricket and in purists eyes (myself included) is the best. And if everyone isnt out in 5 days its a draw whereas in the other games the team who made more runs wins regardless once the overs are up

Think that covers the basics, there's a lot more like stuff going on in a game than what I've covered but they are essentially the basics that I can think of at 6am when i've just gotten out of bed.
    Last edited by outbreak; 07-14-2014 at 04:51 PM.

Banned

No offense but I could never bear to watch a single match that went on 5 days.

Quote Originally Posted by oarabbus
    No offense but I could never bear to watch a single match that went on 5 days.
    Generally if you're at the game you're consuming large amounts of beer the entire time with your mates. Trust me, it makes it way more enjoyable.

Quote Originally Posted by El Kabong
    Generally if you're at the game you're consuming large amounts of beer the entire time with your mates. Trust me, it makes it way more enjoyable.

Well, I could see it being fun if I was drinking with my friends... but still, 5 days? What about your job and shit?

Banned

5 days for a single game? Why is this thought so damn hilarious?

When I think of cricket, I think of Casey Jones in the first TMNT movie...

Quote Originally Posted by ProfessorMurder
    Crickets, family Gryllidae (also known as "true crickets"), are insects somewhat related to grasshoppers, and more closely related to katydids or bush crickets (family Tettigoniidae) and Weta (families Anostostomatidae and Rhaphidophoridae). They have somewhat flattened bodies and long antennae.

There are more than 900 species of crickets.

They tend to be nocturnal and are often confused with grasshoppers because they have a similar body structure including jumping hind legs.

Crickets are not harmful to humans.
    subhuman scum

It is a horrible, horrible sport.

Banned

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> every North American sport bust basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by Cactus-Sack
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> every North American sport bust basketball.
    Sense this doesn't make.

Banned

Go make another thread about what a horrible cvnt your wife is.

Quote Originally Posted by oarabbus
    Well, I could see it being fun if I was drinking with my friends... but still, 5 days? What about your job and shit?
    You don't go to work. Australia is usually much better with taking holidays and things of that nature than the US. Some people just go to 1 or 2 days, others go for more. All depends on your preferences really.