Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast
    NBA Legend and Hall of Famer tpols's Avatar

Default Is Tracy McGrady overrated?

Everybody seems to have this idea that peak, uninjured tmac was some GOAT level wing, but i was watching his duels with kobe, and he really looks like a slower durant.

He's super skilled and long, but hes just... slow. Has absolutely no speed. like a slimmer longer paul pierce.

I hit open 5-foot jumpshots with ease 15yearmagicfan's Avatar

Default Re: Is Tracy McGrady overrated?

No

Good college starter Relinquish's Avatar

No. At his peak, he was a more dominant player even than Kobe. Unfortunately, he never had a great cast around him and when there finally was, the team was extremely injury riddled (McGrady included). He's properly rated as a great player that didn't have great team success and shortened longevity due to injuries.

Quote Originally Posted by Relinquish
    No. At his peak, he was a more dominant player even than Kobe. Unfortunately, he never had a great cast around him and when there finally was, the team was extremely injury riddled (McGrady included). He's properly rated as a great player who did not have great team success/had bad injury luck.

i mean im watching all this tape on him and he doesnt have anywhere near the quickness, agility, speed, or motor of kobe. Hes like a tall, slow version of him.

its interesting to me because durant is taller than tmac but he moves so much quicker. And his shot arc isnt a total line drive.

Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

In 02 or 03 people wouldnt have thought anything of you saying he was a top 3 player in a league with prime Shaq, prime Duncan, prime Garnett, and Kobe at the start of his prime. In fact all of ISH was arguing Kobe vs Tmac and it wasnt like...some dumb question regardless of how it looks to you 15 years later.

i know that.. thats why its interesting to review the tape and compare him to current all time great players as time goes on...

It really makes me bo0st durants all time status because he really looks like a superman version of tmac. Better halfcourt because of his shooting, and much much better in the open court because his acceleration and speed are so much better. The only thing KD doesnt do as well is full court ballhandling, which is part of the reason i think tmac may have become overrated. Everybody loves a super tall player who can aesthetically handle the rock against ball pressure.

im not saying he's ass, but you can even see in this thread already, someone saying he was better than kobe, which pretty much proves the original assumption to be correct.

Quote Originally Posted by tpols
    i know that.. thats why its interesting to review the tape and compare him to current all time great players as time goes on...

It really makes me bo0st durants all time status because he really looks like a superman version of tmac. Better halfcourt because of his shooting, and much much better in the open court because his acceleration and speed are so much better.

im not saying he's ass, but you can even see in this thread already, someone saying he was better than kobe, which pretty much proves the original assumption to be correct.
    He was better than Kobe, dumbass.

The difference between their careers was longevity/health and teammates. That's it. Which I mean... hey... longevity/health are super important for legacies, but yeah...

If your contention is that Durant is way better than McGrady, then your contention best be that Durant is way better than Kobe, otherwise you're a retard. Well, I mean... I already know you're a retard. So whatever.

Too much skill and shotmaking along with making it look easier than the other iso guys. He’s 6’8, it’s ok if he’s not as fast as Kobe and others and being called worse than Durant isn’t a slight. Like most of those early 00s iso guys, his passing is underrated however and thts his advantage over durant

Quote Originally Posted by Shogon
    He was better than Kobe, dumbass.

The difference between their careers was longevity/health and teammates. That's it. Which I mean... hey... longevity/health are super important for legacies, but yeah...

If your contention is that Durant is way better than McGrady, then your contention best be that Durant is way better than Kobe, otherwise you're a retard. Well, I mean... I already know you're a retard. So whatever.

I dont think he was even better than jkidd... who led shit teams to finals while tmac couldnt even win a single series in the east.

Ditto young paul pierce who had absolutely no help, and still led his squad to playoff wins.

Yet people would laugh at tmac vs paul in hindsight.

Thats why i raised the question.

Not really. Opinions dont get closer to the truth after decades. Youre always closer to peoples real opinion in the heat of the moment not reflecting on a guy they have 800 blurry memories of across 15 years.

Tmac had better handles than KD...was a better passer. As good a natural scorer but in a different way. Nobody of their body type is really gonna outshoot KD but its hard to compare 00-04 to any time recent.

Nobody playing today has to face defenses like that and nobody then had the spacing to work with.

The worst teams prime Durant played on still had other hall of famers putting in work.

Tmac was out there vs teams that held you to 90-93 points and slowed down the game....with Gordon Giricek and the remains of Patrick Ewing.

Its not that fair a comparison. Mcgrady would probably be a giant scoring point like James Harden today with 7 shooters on the team while the Hawks give up 118ppg instead of 92. Just off being able to better pick his spots hed probably look a lot more efficient.

I dont think he was even better than jkidd... who led shit teams to finals while tmac couldnt even win a single series in the east.

Ditto young paul pierce who led his squad to playoff wins.

How'd Kobe do with shit teams?

Oh wait, missed the playoffs in the middle of his prime.

lol @ attributing team success to individual guys...

The only guy in the history of the league that holds true for is Bill Russell. That's it.

Your brain is so ****ing pathetic it makes me want to kill myself.

kobe made the playoffs in the west with tmac's level of help and was literally a shot away from upsetting a 2 seed.

you just ethered yourself mate.

Back to jkidd and paul pierce, why didnt these guys get anywhere near the hindsight shine tmac gets?

They played in the exact same conference... at the exact same time... no help... did way more.

This is why its important to not get solely sucked into aesthetics.

Ditto young paul pierce who led his squad to playoff wins.

You need to go look at some early 2000s rosters. Paul Pierce having a 22ish PPG Antione Walker was a rarity. The only superstars that had even serious scoring sidekicks were Shaq/Kobe, Peja for Webber, Glen Robinson for Ray Allen, and maybe Finley for Dirk.

It wasnt like today.

People were on their own.

Tell me.....who in Orlando from 00-04 was even as good as Kenyon Martin?

Drew Gooden?

Rookie Mike Miller?

Giricek?

16 games of grant hill?

Steven Hunter

Who?

Lets get specific....in the 03 playoffs this is Tmacs help:

Rookie Drew Gooen
    34 year old Darrell Armstrong
    Giricek
    Pat Garrity
    Vaughn
    Chris Whitney
    Andrew Declerq
    Shawn Kemps Krispie Kreme slathered remains
    Pat Burke
    Steven Hunter
    Gerald Sasser

Thats it.

Tell me now.

Which is those players were better than the Nets 4th best player Kerry Kittles?

kobe made the playoffs in the west with tmac's level of help and was literally a shot away from upsetting a 2 seed.

you just ethered yourself mate.

Back to jkidd and paul pierce, why didnt these guys get anywhere near the hindsight shine tmac gets?

They played in the exact same conference... at the exact same time... no help... did way more.

This is why its important to not get solely sucked into aesthetics.
    Comparing Kidd

The nets won like 20 games in the year before Kidd came to their team.

Take him off? Pure lotto. worse maybe...

And im sorry but an antione walker and ricky davis led celtic team would be the biggest clownshow circus the NBA has ever seen.

Pierce was an underrated competitor imo. He was a G. And better than tmac to me.

There's a reason shaq nicknamed him "the truth".