Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default What's the most overrated moment in NBA history?

Regular Season AND playoff?

Default Re: What's the most overrated moment in NBA history?

Jordan's stupid "switch hand" layup against the Lakers in the 91 finals. I have NEVER got the hype around that shot. It was unnecessary and he did things 10 times more spectacular than that on an almost nightly basis.

"A SpecTACular move, by Michael Jordan!"

Quote Originally Posted by B-Low
    Jordan's stupid "switch hand" layup against the Lakers in the 91 finals. I have NEVER got the hype around that shot. It was unnecessary and he did things 10 times more spectacular than that on an almost nightly basis.

soundcloud.com/agua-1 andgar923's Avatar

He's had more spectacular moves, but it was one of those things that has to be seen within the moment. Is Magic's skyhook that great of a highlight outside its context? MJ's shot vs the Cavs/Ehlo?

Sports are filled with legendary plays in which taken out of context don't seem spectacular compared to other highlights.

Not to defend that moment per se, but just something to think about when replying to this thread in general.

Samurai Swoosh

Go take some more of your infamous web cam pics of yourself, man ... duck lips and all.

Championship or bust Cali Syndicate's Avatar

IIRC, that layup was his 13th consecutive made FG in a row.

Oops I offended the Mousekateers

Look I like Jordan, and it was a decent move, but it wasn't the iconic moment everyone claimed it to be. I remember when it happened, that was the first year I watched the playoffs with my dad and he was all blown away by it too. Even back then though, I just never thought it was THAT great

Good High School Starter

Same here

Quote Originally Posted by andgar923
    He's had more spectacular moves, but it was one of those things that has to be seen within the moment. Is Magic's skyhook that great of a highlight outside its context? MJ's shot vs the Cavs/Ehlo?

Sports are filled with legendary plays in which taken out of context don't seem spectacular compared to other highlights.

Not to defend that moment per se, but just something to think about when replying to this thread in general.
    True
    Last edited by BuGzBuNNy; 09-27-2012 at 11:24 PM.

Utryin2getthepipe? SevereUpInHere's Avatar

Came in to post this exact same thing.

Yea that one has to be #1 or up there.. the game was already easily at hand at that point by the bulls.. they were up by like 17 in the 4th when he did that.

This is just one example of how the way the NBA is broadcasted and commentated upon dramatically affects how the game is perceived. If you think about it the color commentators have a huge amount of power over the game and the league, which is why the vast majority of the veteran commentators all have hall of fame/all-star votes.

Not to defend that moment per se, but just something to think about when replying to this thread in general
    No it's context that provides the environment for everything.. the context surrounding Jordan's hand-change layup was that the Bulls were already up big in the 4th when he did that. Magic's baby hook was the game winner.
    Last edited by BlueandGold; 09-27-2012 at 11:21 PM.

College star

Regular season: Kobe's 81 points

Playoffs: Magic's game 6 in 1980 finals.

Lebronyte Kryptonite

Lebron's Game 6 vs Boston, that ESPN OVERHYPED to the nth degree

15x all nba legend TheMarkMadsen's Avatar

No dis repspect to Lebron but his game winner against Orlando in the playoffs is heavily overrated. It was a good shot yeah, but his team didn't even win that series, so it really meant nothing.

Yet to this day its still commercials & hyped up as a "big moment" when discussing Lebrons career.

this thread totally won't turn into a cesspool of irrational hate or anything

soundcloud.com/agua-1 andgar923's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BlueandGold

No it's context that provides the environment for everything.. the context surrounding Jordan's hand-change layup was that the Bulls were already up big in the 4th when he did that. Magic's baby hook was the game winner.
    Context:

MJ was on a streak of hitting shot after shot after shot, he simply couldn't miss. So when he did that move it added even more excitement to the moment. It gave the moment some flair. It wasn't like he was hot and just made a regular baseline shot or a simply layup, the mufuhka went up with the ball in one hand brought it down, switched hands and laid it in on the opposite side.

We've grown tired of that video (I'm one of them), but when it happened the entire world went bananas.