Page 8 of 25 FirstFirst ... 56789101118 ... LastLast

Thread: Homeland

3-time NBA All-Star

Default Re: Homeland

Quote Originally Posted by Thorpesaurous
    Yeah, huge payoff episode.

I'm not sure where this leaves them long term. So it's all Brody and Carrie and Saul being tracked by Estes and Quinn. Those become the lineups? It just so changes the dynamic. I'm not sure this show is meant to continue beyond this season.

These are writers who obviously react to public perception. I've read that they shoot very close to air date relatively speaking. And one reason to do that would be to react to fan opinion. And last night, or even the last couple weeks really, have felt like a direct response to the mole theory. First with some misdirection about Saul, and then last night they really played out the Galves role. That felt like a direct response to keeping Galves alive. Like his whole character was one giant red herring.

It remains an entertaining watch. The stuff with Brody and his wife was really well done. The Saul stuff was captivating.
    I'm guessing season 3 will be Brody and Carrie on the run from them. Thats the only thing I can think of. I can't see Brody living a normal life after this instead of being dead or in jail or in witness protection (isn't that the deal they made?) but I also can't see him not being a major character in the show.

Either way, the season finale looks interesting, but unless something real good happens that sets up season 3, I have my doubts that it will be that good next season.

Old School Cool brandonislegend's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by guy
    I'm guessing season 3 will be Brody and Carrie on the run from them. Thats the only thing I can think of. I can't see Brody living a normal life after this instead of being dead or in jail or in witness protection (isn't that the deal they made?) but I also can't see him not being a major character in the show.

Either way, the season finale looks interesting, but unless something real good happens that sets up season 3, I have my doubts that it will be that good next season.
    While I can't say I disagree, I have no idea what season 3 would be about. Don't sleep on the writers on this show, they always have something up their sleeves.

3-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by brandonislegend
    While I can't say I disagree, I have no idea what season 3 would be about. Don't sleep on the writers on this show, they always have something up their sleeves.
    The show while still entertaining, has taken a step down IMO since they caught and arrested Brody IMO. There's been a few ridiculously unlikely scenarios played out, and its kinda hard to buy Brody as some kind of good guy now. Like I said, its still entertaining, but I don't really have much faith in the writers anymore.

Old School Cool brandonislegend's Avatar

The show while still entertaining, has taken a step down IMO since they caught and arrested Brody IMO. There's been a few ridiculously unlikely scenarios played out, and its kinda hard to buy Brody as some kind of good guy now. Like I said, its still entertaining, but I don't really have much faith in the writers anymore.
    He had to get caught sometime...how many seasons would you have wanted before he got caught lol. It's already been 2.

3-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by brandonislegend
    He had to get caught sometime...how many seasons would you have wanted before he got caught lol. It's already been 2.
    I had no problem with him getting caught, just afterwards there's been alot of holes in the story. I was expecting the quality of the show to stay the same. Looking back now though, seeing how that wasn't the case, I do think they could've dragged him getting caught. Him getting caught could've been a season finale. In the meantime, many of the same storylines like his issues with his family, the CIA going after Abu Nazir, the death of the VP, etc, could've still continued.

I'll be honest, I really liked the enviroment of season 1. It was interesting watching Brody act strange and it keeps the audience from guessing if he really is a terrorist or not. This season is great as well but I feel some of the plot is being forced and that they are digging a lot of holes in the plot.

3-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by JerryWest
    I'll be honest, I really liked the enviroment of season 1. It was interesting watching Brody act strange and it keeps the audience from guessing if he really is a terrorist or not. This season is great as well but I feel some of the plot is being forced and that they are digging a lot of holes in the plot.
    Exactly how I feel.

Exactly how I feel.
    I also liked it when they had less characters
    But it's good to know someone feels the same

3-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by JerryWest
    I also liked it when they had less characters
    But it's good to know someone feels the same
    Like the season finale, while I'm looking forward to it, seems a little odd. So we're supposed to despise Estes and Quinn and root for the former terrorist Brody?

Like the season finale, while I'm looking forward to it, seems a little odd. So we're supposed to despise Estes and Quinn and root for the former terrorist Brody?
    For some reason I'm always rooting for Quinn, he's just cool
    I don't know what to think of Brody anymore

NBA sixth man of the year Thorpesaurous's Avatar

The Theory floating around that Brody is still acting on behalf of Abu Nazir, and that he's now actively manipulating Carrie, does make some sense. There are some specific flaws in it, but in general it works. And that would make sense because it would allow them at some point next season to run another flip, where the audience finds that out, and Quinn and Estes go from being the overbearing bad guys, to the good guys who are now trying to save Carrie.
    That would be a much better scenario than Carrie and Brody playing out some sort of forbidden love scenario while being hunted by the love hating CIA.

The other option is the show drifts away from Carrie and Brody, which Brody is gonna have to be dropped at some point for the sake of the show making sense, and continues it's focus on Saul vs. Estes/Dar Adal, because Saul really could be the most compelling character on the show. And I also I find it hard to believe that F Murray Abraham joined this cast to silently speak to Quinn on a bus, and then belittle at Mandy Ptinkin for a minute over breakfast. There's gotta be more to him than that.

3-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by Thorpesaurous
    The Theory floating around that Brody is still acting on behalf of Abu Nazir, and that he's now actively manipulating Carrie, does make some sense. There are some specific flaws in it, but in general it works. And that would make sense because it would allow them at some point next season to run another flip, where the audience finds that out, and Quinn and Estes go from being the overbearing bad guys, to the good guys who are now trying to save Carrie.
    That would be a much better scenario than Carrie and Brody playing out some sort of forbidden love scenario while being hunted by the love hating CIA.
    Only way it makes sense is if they have another attack planned bigger then the attack on the marines that Brody basically thwarted by telling the CIA.

I could also see another possibility being that once Brody finds out that they are trying to kill him, he goes back to being a terrorist because of the angle Abu Nazir played on him beforehand i.e. the US government basically left him in Iraq and didn't have any loyalty towards him. Of course, that would need to involve new characters for Brody to align with that maybe we haven't met yet since Abu Nazir is dead and Roya is locked up.

Only way it makes sense is if they have another attack planned bigger then the attack on the marines that Brody basically thwarted by telling the CIA.

I could also see another possibility being that once Brody finds out that they are trying to kill him, he goes back to being a terrorist because of the angle Abu Nazir played on him beforehand i.e. the US government basically left him in Iraq and didn't have any loyalty towards him. Of course, that would need to involve new characters for Brody to align with that maybe we haven't met yet since Abu Nazir is dead and Roya is locked up.

I agree that the work Brody has already done for the CIA, like thwarting the Roya attack, and generally speaking getting a handfull of high ranking cell members locked up, is going to make that angle a tough road to sled. But they could pull it off because a lot of us watch this with a willingness to accept a certain amount of incongruity.
    I think they could paint the angle that Brody is bouncing back and fourth based on influence. He really genuinely wanted to stop the Roya attack because Carrie had reached him more than Nazir, but once in Nazir's presence again, he was reminded of his old motivations, and agreed to go back to working with him, and working over the CIA.

I don't know.

The more I think about it the more I feel like they need to kill off Brody and change the focus of the show, and I feel like Saul would be a good way to go.

I know I'm in the minority, but I liked The Killing for a while, and I've compared that to this in this thread before. I liked the unpredtibility, and I was willing to accept some nonsense in order to get that, but at some point the scale tips. Also, both of those shows seemed designed for one season runs. And putting together a second season feels almost off the cuff. The logic isn't as tight, doesn't feel like it's been thought out as much. And eventually you just lose interest in the constant **** teasing eventually.

A third season of The Killing is actually being worked on, which astounds me, but from what I read, it's because Netflix agreed to produce it, and when AMC had their Western thing fall apart, they went to Netflix and split the cost to air the third season of the killing they were working on in it's place.

Now in the case of that show, I liked the first season, but like a lot of people, couldn't see a second season working, and was really disappointed to be dragged along at the end of season 1. I always felt the best way for a show like that to work is to do a new case every season. Use the character story arcs to bridge the seasons, Linden's ongoing relationship with her kid, Carrie's fluctuating mental health, but each season present a new focal point for the work. Sort of what CSI does, but on a season to season basis rather than an episode to episode basis.

But what the hell do I know.

Oh yeah, Mitch Kramer? johndeeregreen's Avatar

The Killing is coming back? Are you f*cking kidding me? Show was absolutely brutal its second season. Would prefer Hell on Wheels but it looks like that isn't likely. And in fairness Hell on Wheels definitely lost its lustre in the second season too.

And I'm with Thorpe - as great as Damian Lewis is, he needs to die. Turning heel again would be too much of a tease and sort of prove that the writers have jack shit up their sleeve besides flipping Brody back and forth. Kill him and although it's a huge blow for the show, I think they could make a third season work with the Saul dynamic they've established here late in the second season.

I got my killing info from a podcast, but this sort of sums it up without the specific details I heard about Netflix doing it an then AMC coming in because they couldn't get Hell on Wheels back up and going. I had also heard some thought that there was some hope of catching a wave of free advertising when Joel Kinnamen stars as Robocop, and Mereille Enos stars opposite Brad Pitt in World War Z. Maybe their hoping Enos steals him from Angelina while on set and becomes wildly famous.

[QUOTE]AMC