Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread:

Default Re:

Quote Originally Posted by ImKobe
    Nice of you to use the TS, Malone's FG% shits on Dirk's while we all know that Dirk is a much better shooter.

Also worth noting that Malone played against 3 of the GOAT defenders in Rodman, Scottie & Jordan, who swarmed him the entire series. Yet he put up better numbers than Dirk.

You honestly want to tell me that Dirk's 06 Finals has shit on what Malone did in 97? or Malone's 98 Finals vs Dirk's 11? In both cases, Malone faced the better team.

TS% is not a fair use here when Dirk is obviously the much better FT shooter, but couldn't shoot worth a lick from the field in 06.

You also conveniently left out the assist and steals numbers, like they have no impact on the game.

Even the 98 Finals game, where Bulls played GOAT level defense and completely shut down the Jazz, Malone had 22 points on 73% shooting, think about that.
    You know ft's are worth points too right? And when you **** then up like malone you can screw over your own team.

Why the **** would you compare fg% between two players when one doesn't shoot 3's? That's pretty ****ing retarded if you ask me. You know if you shoot from behind the arc its worth more points right?

Stats aren't fair to use because your guy can't shoot shooting is...pretty important...

Malone was a finisher who played for a long time with a great point guard. Dirk is an offense in and of himself. Spacing doesn't show up on the stat sheet. The fact that he can roll or pop equally well doesn't show up on the stat sheet. The fact that dirk can get you a shot at any time doesn't show up on the stat sheet.

One of these dudes is clutch...one was a choker.

Malone is a nostalgia glorified bake griffin

22 points on 73% why didn't he take more shots then? Oh yeah, because he was only took easy shots.
    Last edited by ralph_i_el; 08-12-2014 at 07:40 AM.

Decent playground baller dgaras's Avatar

Default Re:

dirk can create from 0. could malone do that? you cant go wrong with either player
    yao could do the same. thats what made him a potential top 5 center if he never got injured.
    but wait. ill just get negged like before from biased fans.

NBA sixth man of the year Thorpesaurous's Avatar

Default Re:

Dirk is better than Karl Malone because of the versatility of his scoring ability. How pliable he is as a scorer makes him one of the all time mismatch guys ever. He scores from the block against smaller guys. Off the bounce midrange. Catch and shoot stretching the floor. Probably the best pick and pop guy ever. And totally warps the floor when he runs from the elbows. That flexibility means you can attack multiple teams in multiple ways.

I was never a Malone fan, and he's a guy that's right in my generational wheelhouse. But in spite of all the points, he was an incredibly limited scorer. Generally speaking, there are two types of scorers in the NBA. Karl Malone was probably the best ever of one type, the type that makes the shots he's supposed to make. He runs the floor incredibly for his size, and gets easy buckets. He knocks down those pick and semi role buckets with remarkable consistency. And he used his frame down low to create easy opportunities. But when the shit hit the fan, he could neither create for others, nor could he create and make the tough shots himself. He's just a great easy bucket getter. Dirk on the other hand is a tough shot maker, and title or not, that's what makes a guy someone you can use to contend. Those Jazz teams put the ball in John Stockton's hands when the game was on the line, or even Jeff Hornacek, far more often than Karl, because they were far more inclined to create a play, or make a tough shot.

And Malone, who I know has an All-D team in there somewhere, was just a terrible defender. He was good enough against the ball. But he was a miserable help defender at a position where that's way more important. The rebounding gap is real, but even that can probably be made up for in style of offensive usage to a degree.

And frankly if I were building a team I'd take Kevin McHale over either of them.

Default Re:

Quote Originally Posted by Thorpesaurous
    Dirk is better than Karl Malone because of the versatility of his scoring ability. How pliable he is as a scorer makes him one of the all time mismatch guys ever. He scores from the block against smaller guys. Off the bounce midrange. Catch and shoot stretching the floor. Probably the best pick and pop guy ever. And totally warps the floor when he runs from the elbows. That flexibility means you can attack multiple teams in multiple ways.

I was never a Malone fan, and he's a guy that's right in my generational wheelhouse. But in spite of all the points, he was an incredibly limited scorer. Generally speaking, there are two types of scorers in the NBA. Karl Malone was probably the best ever of one type, the type that makes the shots he's supposed to make. He runs the floor incredibly for his size, and gets easy buckets. He knocks down those pick and semi role buckets with remarkable consistency. And he used his frame down low to create easy opportunities. But when the shit hit the fan, he could neither create for others, nor could he create and make the tough shots himself. He's just a great easy bucket getter. Dirk on the other hand is a tough shot maker, and title or not, that's what makes a guy someone you can use to contend. Those Jazz teams put the ball in John Stockton's hands when the game was on the line, or even Jeff Hornacek, far more often than Karl, because they were far more inclined to create a play, or make a tough shot.

And Malone, who I know has an All-D team in there somewhere, was just a terrible defender. He was good enough against the ball. But he was a miserable help defender at a position where that's way more important. The rebounding gap is real, but even that can probably be made up for in style of offensive usage to a degree.

And frankly if I were building a team I'd take Kevin McHale over either of them.
    http://jazzbasketball.wordpress.com/...rward-defense/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_ezVqa2Z8o

Local High School Star robert_shaww's Avatar

Default Re:

the 2011 finals dirk perfomance is the most overrated of all time.

Default Re:

Oh well if a jazz basketball website tells me Malone was a great defender I just HAVE to take them at their word.

why I even like Rondo CeltsGarlic's Avatar

Default Re:

Quote Originally Posted by dgaras
    dirk can create from 0. could malone do that? you cant go wrong with either player
    yao could do the same. thats what made him a potential top 5 center if he never got injured.
    but wait. ill just get negged like before from biased fans.
    lol like anyone gives a shit about your opinion.

Default Re:

Quote Originally Posted by ralph_i_el
    You know ft's are worth points too right? And when you **** then up like malone you can screw over your own team.

Why the **** would you compare fg% between two players when one doesn't shoot 3's? That's pretty ****ing retarded if you ask me. You know if you shoot from behind the arc its worth more points right?

Stats aren't fair to use because your guy can't shoot shooting is...pretty important...

Malone was a finisher who played for a long time with a great point guard. Dirk is an offense in and of himself. Spacing doesn't show up on the stat sheet. The fact that he can roll or pop equally well doesn't show up on the stat sheet. The fact that dirk can get you a shot at any time doesn't show up on the stat sheet.

One of these dudes is clutch...one was a choker.

Malone is a nostalgia glorified bake griffin

22 points on 73% why didn't he take more shots then? Oh yeah, because he was only took easy shots.
    Because the Jazz got blown out and he only played 31 minutes, they lost by 42 points because no one else could score in that game, it started off close with Malone making every shot, he had the highest ORTG out of any starters and the lowest DRTG, he led the starters in TS%, other guys combined for 6/26 shooting (23%)....

I never even said that Malone was greater than Dirk, I said they both have arguments that would put one over another (in Dirk's case, the championship run, in Malone's case, the edge on the numbers and scoring more points).

AND I SAID that Dirk had the better career, Malone to me was the better individual player, but I'd rank Dirk over him all-time because accolades matter. Otherwise, many other players would be ranked higher than they currently are (Ewing, D-Rob, Zo, Penny)... It's not just about stats, it's also about winning.

Default Re:

Malone was better than Dirk.

Default Re:

Oh well if a jazz basketball website tells me Malone was a great defender I just HAVE to take them at their word.
    How about when the coaches tell you that he was a great defender when they voted him NBA All-Defensive Team three times, would you believe them then?

Default Re:

Malone, and i didnt even have to use a monicum of brain electrotivity to decide that.

Default Re:

Quote Originally Posted by Reggie43
    How about when the coaches tell you that he was a great defender when they voted him NBA All-Defensive Team three times, would you believe them then?
    All-d teams are a joke. Its all politics and propping up star a

Default Re:

Quote Originally Posted by ImKobe
    Because the Jazz got blown out and he only played 31 minutes, they lost by 42 points because no one else could score in that game, it started off close with Malone making every shot, he had the highest ORTG out of any starters and the lowest DRTG, he led the starters in TS%, other guys combined for 6/26 shooting (23%)....

I never even said that Malone was greater than Dirk, I said they both have arguments that would put one over another (in Dirk's case, the championship run, in Malone's case, the edge on the numbers and scoring more points).

AND I SAID that Dirk had the better career, Malone to me was the better individual player, but I'd rank Dirk over him all-time because accolades matter. Otherwise, many other players would be ranked higher than they currently are (Ewing, D-Rob, Zo, Penny)... It's not just about stats, it's also about winning.
    I don't care about stats OR winning. Its what skills you bring to the court. I don't want a PF who can't stretch the floor, hit free throws, or protect the rim. I don't want my best player to be unable to create his own shot. In today's league Malone is at BEST Blake Griffin.

You're right, those guys should be ranked higher. People get obsessed with accolades. I care about what roles a player can fill, how well they do it, and what "superstar" things they can do that no one else can. Everything else is entirely dependent on team context.
    Last edited by ralph_i_el; 08-12-2014 at 10:09 AM.

Default Re:

Quote Originally Posted by robert_shaww
    Look, come on...lets be good...

If those mavs are playing against Jordan Bulls....thats a 4 game series...and you know it. thats all im asking for...admit it.

You can't compare that, though...

Different teams, different era...

2011 Mavs running hot on the '98 Bulls?

Dirk 2011 post-season was better than '98 MJ too, so why not.

Default Re:

I don't care about stats OR winning. Its what skills you bring to the court. I don't want a PF who can't stretch the floor, hit free throws, or protect the rim. I don't want my best player to be unable to create his own shot. In today's league Malone is at BEST Blake Griffin.
    Other than dunking, what does Blake Griffin do at least as well as Malone? Malone was a 38% jumpshooter at 39 years old (with nearly a 1000 attempts), while Griffin last season shot 35% on less attempts.

I don't have prime Malone's shooting numbers, so it's hard to compare, but I suspect at least a few above 40% mid-range shooting seasons when he shot as high as 39% on J's in his twilight years.